Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K benefits for a newcomer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

1K benefits for a newcomer

I've have Silver and Gold status for many years and I recently got 1K status for this year. I did receive some regional and global upgrades in my account, but my tickets are usually booked in a class that can't be upgraded, so I'm not able to use these benefits. I also see I'll get a statement credit in Feb for having an Explorer credit card and can get a global entry fee reimbursement.

Besides for the upgrades, credit card and global entry benefits, are there any other notable benefits for 1K status over gold? I do appreciate having access to the international lounges, but this is available to gold and not any additional benefit for 1K. Looking for some advice from the seasoned 1K crowd to point out what I may be missing.

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
FYI those fare class restrictions for upgrade instruments don't apply to domestic tickets. You can (in theory at least) upgrade even the cheapest domestic tickets to F using RPUs or GPUs. When I travel internationally, it's almost always on an award or on a work trip in paid C, so I use all my instruments on domestic flights (especially p.s. flights). Success rate has been mixed the past few months, but that's another discussion entirely.

Other benefits that I personally value about 1K over Gold:
  • Higher RDM bonus (100% vs. 50% / 11x vs. 8x starting soon)
  • Fewer fees - especially the fee waiver for making changes / cancellations to award tickets)
  • IRROPS handling and speed of getting through on the phone
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
For me, the best part of 1K is being able to call the 1K desk. Always get through really fast and always have my questions/issues answered.

Also I usually always ( more than 95% of the time) get domestic upgrades (CPU).

Congrats on becoming "over entitled"
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by hwbudden
I've have Silver and Gold status for many years and I recently got 1K status for this year. I did receive some regional and global upgrades in my account, but my tickets are usually booked in a class that can't be upgraded, so I'm not able to use these benefits. I also see I'll get a statement credit in Feb for having an Explorer credit card and can get a global entry fee reimbursement.

Besides for the upgrades, credit card and global entry benefits, are there any other notable benefits for 1K status over gold? I do appreciate having access to the international lounges, but this is available to gold and not any additional benefit for 1K. Looking for some advice from the seasoned 1K crowd to point out what I may be missing.

Thanks for the help
1Ks get presented with a special 1K phone number, most of the time I have had good luck with it. And your mileage bonus gets a notch higher, but I am not sure how that works with the new rules. Maybe higher on the upgrade list, although out of IAD I was still only at #57. Otherwise can't think of much else that's different.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by hwbudden
I did receive some regional and global upgrades in my account, but my tickets are usually booked in a class that can't be upgraded, so I'm not able to use these benefits.
For international, you have the option to pay the fare different between whatever class you were booked into and W. If the fare difference is within your $$/value and there's R space, using a GPU is good option. Also, don't let them charge you a change fee. It's in the rules that you can upfare without a fee.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Emirates Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Honestly, biggest difference is CPUs clearing earlier, you should find yourself up front more often.

You can use the RPUs and GPUs for friends as well.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trini19
Also I usually always ( more than 95% of the time) get domestic upgrades (CPU).
The assumption must be made that YBM class fares are being purchased because that type of upgrade percentage is flat out impossible otherwise in my experience in 2014. It's even difficult to comprehend that rate buying YBM fares, frankly. Now, Global Services might get close to that, but even the ones I know are less than 90%.

If you are managing 95% on less than YBM fares, I'd like to hear what routes are being flown because I am flying to the wrong cities.

In comparison, my CPU upgrade rate last year as a 1K was ~10%, and none of that was hub-to-hub flying. If I could get back to 95%, which it was in years past, I might even go back to UA. But I am not counting on it.

1K now is what Gold was before.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:48 am

the global entry benefit was discontinued on feb 1 this year so hopefully they aren't still advertising that.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

If you are managing 95% on less than YBM fares, I'd like to hear what routes are being flown because I am flying to the wrong cities.

In comparison, my CPU upgrade rate last year as a 1K was ~10%, and none of that was hub-to-hub flying. If I could get back to 95%, which it was in years past, I might even go back to UA. But I am not counting on it.
I'm at 60% normally - and on K and lower fares. Everyone has a different experience.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'm at 60% normally - and on K and lower fares. Everyone has a different experience.
95%?

I'd truly like to know what city pairs are resulting in a rate that high.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
the global entry benefit was discontinued on feb 1 this year so hopefully they aren't still advertising that.
On this page there is now an asterisk pointing to this disclaimer (which admittedly is in rather small type):
Originally Posted by united.com
As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus no longer provides eligible Global ServicesSM, Premier® 1K® and Premier Platinum members with a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Not sure how often you fly on regional jets, but an unpublished 1K benefit is that you can request a yellow handle wrap for your carry-on, which, in theory, means your gate-checked bags will come out first in the jet bridge after you de-plane (seems to be working very well in my home airport and not so well in other places, so YMMV). See this thread.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
95%?

I'd truly like to know what city pairs are resulting in a rate that high.
Agree that 95% is probably a non-hub GS/1K on high fare classes.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jewels421
Not sure how often you fly on regional jets, but an unpublished 1K benefit is that you can request a yellow handle wrap for your carry-on, which, in theory, means your gate-checked bags will come out first in the jet bridge after you de-plane (seems to be working very well in my home airport and not so well in other places, so YMMV). See this thread.
The handle tag seems like a nice benefit. I don't fly the regionals often, but my bag always seems to come off last in the jetway pickup area. I'll see if I can get one.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jewels421
Didn't know you had to request it. Calling now.

Agree with CPU statements - 95% is unheard of.

Another benefit is the ability to book and cancel award tickets for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.