Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM

Sorry - I couldn't get a clear answer to this question scanning this thread. If I fly SFO-IAD (Domestic First) -> IAD-LHR (Global First) do I get GFL access in SFO before the domestic flight? Per this, I think so (based on 24 hour rule).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djmp
Sorry - I couldn't get a clear answer to this question scanning this thread. If I fly SFO-IAD (Domestic First) -> IAD-LHR (Global First) do I get GFL access in SFO before the domestic flight? Per this, I think so (based on 24 hour rule).
You are supposed to, though there are reports (including one from me) of the agents at SFO playing by their own rules and insisting the GF flight has to leave from SFO for access.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Not heard anything, that the GFL will be back after remodelling.

At LAX GFL also served GS customers on p.s. flights to JFK, in addition to international flights.
Did the LAX GFL come back? (The sticky at the top of the thread says LAX has a GFL).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by micmcguire
Wow I have to disagree. They have a made to order menu, pour your own booze, plenty of waitstaff checking on you and it's clean, top that with the fact that there have been like 3 other people in there the few times I have been in there. What else do you need?
Is the made to order menu any good? Could you eat there and sleep on the flight?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Did the LAX GFL come back? (The sticky at the top of the thread says LAX has a GFL).
LAX GFL is RIP and not coming back per the staff there.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I just fixed the wiki-sticky, Sigh

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Is the made to order menu any good? Could you eat there and sleep on the flight?
At ORD, not really anything substantial IME, so I'd say no (If you want pre-flight meal, go to Tortas Frontera!). At LHR GFL, absolutely! ^
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
You are supposed to, though there are reports (including one from me) of the agents at SFO playing by their own rules and insisting the GF flight has to leave from SFO for access.
Maybe I was lucky but I had no issues getting GFL access at SFO with an SFO-LAX-LHR F ticket (and SFO-LAX was in coach). The agent was helpful enough to gives a heads up that the domestic flights wouldn't be announced in the lounge.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

LAX GFL is RIP and not coming back per the staff there.
Correct.

They did say something about having a "VIP" room, but they wouldn't elaborate.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Correct.

They did say something about having a "VIP" room, but they wouldn't elaborate.
I know the LAX GFL staff well, and last week they said it's reopening in two years. I'm a bit skeptical of their info. On the final day the LAX GFL was open, they were quizzing *me* on what I knew about its future.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Acess to United First Lounge at SFO?

Hello all,

Quick question about access to the United First Lounge in SFO. I am flying on a REV first class ticket from Frankfurt to Honolulu with a 3.5 hour layover in SFO. My flight from FRA-SFO is in Lufthansa First and my flight from SFO-Hawaii is in United Business/First. Will I have access to the United First class Lounge?

Thanks very much.

*I tried to sort this out for myself from other threads and United's policy but couldn't be sure.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to search FT. It's on UA's website lisitng access for GFL's. You would not qualify if arriving long-haul without a UA BP and you would not qualify if departing on domestic any class to HI.

Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jhjunc
Quick question about access to the United First Lounge in SFO. I am flying on a REV first class ticket from Frankfurt to Honolulu with a 3.5 hour layover in SFO. My flight from FRA-SFO is in Lufthansa First and my flight from SFO-Hawaii is in United Business/First. Will I have access to the United First class Lounge?
Sorry, no access. In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA.

Also, it's not called BusinessFirst from SFO-HNL. Just plain old United First.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, no access. In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA.

Also, it's not called BusinessFirst from SFO-HNL. Just plain old United First.

I have gotten UC access connecting to a domestic UA flight after arriving from an LH INTL J. I am UA*G
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
I have gotten UC access connecting to a domestic UA flight after arriving from an LH INTL J. I am UA*G
Yeah I hesitate to mention that because it's inconsistently enforced. They've reworded the rule but it's still ambiguous.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
.... In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA....
Incorrect -- any *G (UA or not) receives *A lounge access (including UC) for any cabin of travel on an *A international itin.
United Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when traveling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
United Star Alliance Gold UC access
Customer must present either:
1) Valid Star Gold card and boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a Star-operated international* flight (does not have to be same itinerary)
2) A boarding pass for a Star-operated international flight with Star Gold status listed on the boarding pass for a flight within 24 hours (does not have to be same itinerary)
More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.