Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Couldnt find it anywhere - I am GS traveling from LHR to ORD in business. Will I be able to use the GFL in LHR? Can I bring a guest?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nyr2299
Couldnt find it anywhere - I am GS traveling from LHR to ORD in business. Will I be able to use the GFL in LHR? Can I bring a guest?
You, yes. Guest, no. IIRC.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by nyr2299
Yes; no.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As a GS, flying SFO-OGG (in first), I was just denied access to the SFO GFL. Was that correct or do I have a legitimate complaint?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by rowenb
As a GS, flying SFO-OGG (in first), I was just denied access to the SFO GFL. Was that correct or do I have a legitimate complaint?
GFL - International flights.
OGG - Hawaii - still part of the US.

Why would you think you would have access?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
GFL - International flights.
OGG - Hawaii - still part of the US.

Why would you think you would have access?
The last time I transited through IAD, when I went to the United Club the agent told me I should instead go to GFL since I was GS. So I thought it was a GS perk. There being no GFL in ORD, I don't see them very often.

in retrospect, I was flying IAD-LHR (in C not F) when that happened, so that would explain it.

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rowenb
The last time I transited through IAD, when I went to the United Club the agent told me I should instead go to GFL since I was GS. So I thought it was a GS perk. There being no GFL in ORD, I don't see them very often.

in retrospect, I was flying IAD-LHR (in C not F) when that happened, so that would explain it.

Thanks.
GS traveling in Polaris business or in Business on p.s. flights (disputed) have GFL access as a benefit. But not for standard domestic F.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by findark
GS traveling in Polaris business or in Business on p.s. flights (disputed) have GFL access as a benefit. But not for standard domestic F.
I was recently denied access to the SFO GFL as a GS flying p.s. Agent said it was a recent rule change (i.e. when BOS was added on July 1), and that the UC was the only option.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by wxguy
I was recently denied access to the SFO GFL as a GS flying p.s. Agent said it was a recent rule change (i.e. when BOS was added on July 1), and that the UC was the only option.
The SFO GFL is the west coast incarnation of Studio 54 for entry restriction. I'd like to hear this from one more source before I believe it.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
There's not a lot of consistency on this. Last time I went through on an SFO-EWR flight, I had an attendant at the UC call in to a GS supervisor to determine if I could go to the GFL. They said Yes. Other times, when I went directly to the GFL they said no. I wish they'd get their act together.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
SFO FCL question

It has been widely reported that due to overcrowding at the international UC, some J passengers have been invited to go to the FCL. Latest reports that I can find say they will only do this for a) GS members (stated benefit), b)passenger on full fare J. Is this still the case?

If so, trying to find a way around it as I am traveling with a non-GS in J (but not a full fare ticket). Flying SFO-HKG on 77W. Obviously there is no FC on this plane. However, we are continuing on to SIN. If I was in FC HKG-SIN, would that allow me to access the guest policy for GS in SFO? I know this is a major stretch, but I have no other ideas. Of sages of UA travel, what do you think?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Why is the SFO GFL such a zoo lately? Several posts above noting this, but no explanation that I've seen.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by porciuscato
There's not a lot of consistency on this. Last time I went through on an SFO-EWR flight, I had an attendant at the UC call in to a GS supervisor to determine if I could go to the GFL. They said Yes. Other times, when I went directly to the GFL they said no. I wish they'd get their act together.
And this past weekend as a GS flying SFO-BOS in J, I was admitted to the SFO GFL, no questions asked. I guess my mileage varied!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by st530
Why is the SFO GFL such a zoo lately? Several posts above noting this, but no explanation that I've seen.
Possibly due to the refurb of the UC and letting all sorts into the GFL club?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by st530
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Possibly due to the refurb of the UC and letting all sorts into the GFL club?
Bingo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.