Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's an airside connection between concourses F and G. It's approx. 3 minutes (or less) from Centurion lounge to international departures in G.

No way. LHR is a clear #1.
Meant to say "One of the best in the US," as the OP was referring to the IAD lounge which some people skip all together to go to the LH Senator lounge instead (and SFO GFL is better than IAD, ORD and JFK).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the inputs.

I think I'll just stick with BF and Centurion Lounge. We are on the 747 and have UD seats 13AB I believe.

I don't suppose GF can get shuttled to the gate like GS? That would be pretty cool and maybe worth the miles...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by guruboy
Thanks for the inputs.
I don't suppose GF can get shuttled to the gate like GS? That would be pretty cool and maybe worth the miles...
I'm GS and have flown out of SFO in GF several times. Never got shuttled to the gate.

To be blunt, the GF lounge at SFO is a sad joke. It features some very tired sushi, cup-o-noodles and this very scary looking fatty beef and noodle dish that you ladle broth into (after you remove the saran wrap). You get your choice of screw-top wine bottles.

I actually prefer the couscous in the UC.

Unless you get seats 2A or 2K, the UD is superior to GF. The center seats in GF are unpleasant.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by guruboy
Thanks for the inputs.

I think I'll just stick with BF and Centurion Lounge. We are on the 747 and have UD seats 13AB I believe.

13 A & B !!!The best seats on the UD of the 474. Enjoy!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by kthpence
Meant to say "One of the best in the US," as the OP was referring to the IAD lounge which some people skip all together to go to the LH Senator lounge instead (and SFO GFL is better than IAD, ORD and JFK).

Really? Agree on IAD ('80s hell and surly matrons), but I do think the refurbed ORD GFL is the best in the US? Not totally confident in this claim, perhaps I caught SFO on a bad day?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kthpence
Yes, it's well known that SFO's UA IFL is the best in their system (at least from what I've read and IMO), however the original question that was asked was whether or not it was worth 30k more miles plus not using (assumedly free) access to the Centurion Lounge. Do you think it's worth it is the 30k extra miles?
Absolutely not, unless you typoed 'worst'. Since Centurion Lounge opened at SFO, I have no reason to use GFL unless departing gate nearby,

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's an airside connection between concourses F and G. It's approx. 3 minutes (or less) from Centurion lounge to international departures in G.

No way. LHR is a clear #1.
By a million miles.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm GS and have flown out of SFO in GF several times. Never got shuttled to the gate.

To be blunt, the GF lounge at SFO is a sad joke. It features some very tired sushi, cup-o-noodles and this very scary looking fatty beef and noodle dish that you ladle broth into (after you remove the saran wrap). You get your choice of screw-top wine bottles.

Unless you get seats 2A or 2K, the UD is superior to GF. The center seats in GF are unpleasant.
With a partner I agree. GF not useful for any personal contact notions. Extremely rarely an issue on such itineraries for me, but in your case would stick with BF for "romantic" ideas. All the best.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

I was only once offered a shuttle at SFO. But this year they seem to have scaled it back a lot.

As for the UC over the GFL? Really? Last I checked the champagne was real and did not have a screw top!

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Absolutely not, unless you typoed 'worst'. Since Centurion Lounge opened at SFO, I have no reason to use GFL unless departing gate nearby,
I have not had luck with the Centurion Lounge, I seem to hit it at peak time with no seats available. Don't have that problem at the GFL (for better or worse) and can always get a shower.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
[/B]

Really? Agree on IAD ('80s hell and surly matrons), but I do think the refurbed ORD GFL is the best in the US? Not totally confident in this claim, perhaps I caught SFO on a bad day?
I prefer the SFO GFL over ORD, but that's mainly because I prefer SFO as an airport as a whole, and like the vantage point of the GFL below UA's fleet. Plus Ruinart > Veuve IMO, and last time I was at SFO it was Ruinart and ORD had Veuve.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere

Flying GF FRA/IAD. Do I have access to LH FC Lounge?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
Yes. Enjoy!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
No (despite what the previous poster said) *unless* you are a Global Services member.

You will only have access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge, but not to Lufthansa's First Class lounges which are for LH First Class and HON customers only.

The only exception is for Global Services members flying in Global First (that has to be a handful of passengers a day, at most.)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes. Enjoy!
Originally Posted by Pat+
No (despite what the previous poster said) *unless* you are a Global Services member.

You will only have access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge, but not to Lufthansa's First Class lounges which are for LH First Class and HON customers only.

The only exception is for Global Services members flying in Global First (that has to be a handful of passengers a day, at most.)
manstein58 profile lists him as a Global Services Member, so yes, he will have access to the Lufthansa First Class Lounge due to his status + Global First BP.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+
I was in fact noting that the OP had GS in his profile and that he was flying FRA->IAD. To be clear, FCL access is only for flights originating from FRA. So he would not get access to the LH FCL going IAD->FRA.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I was in fact noting that the OP had GS in his profile and that he was flying FRA->IAD. To be clear, FCL access is only for flights originating from FRA. So he would not get access to the LH FCL going IAD->FRA.
thanks to all. Made the trek there and it was worth it. In true Teutonic fashion, I had to produce my GS card to the dragons in order to gain entry
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: UA GS
Departing PVG on UA836 in Global First on Monday and am wondering what lounges I will have access to at PVG?

If it makes any difference, I'm currently Premiere Platinum.

Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.