Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I am flying in the next month from LHR to SFO in Global First (O), and am only a Silver on UA. A friend of mine is flying out of LHR at around the same time on Aer Lingus (Economy) to Dublin. Will I be able to guest him into the GFL even though Aer Lingus is not officially in the Star Alliance?
^ Bump.

Anyone have an answer for the post above?

Many Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
^ Bump.

Anyone have an answer for the post above?

Many Thanks!
Rules provide for one guest w/ no stated provision that the guest must be on same itinerary or any other particular itinerary.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Hello!

I am flying in the next month from LHR to SFO in Global First (O), and am only a Silver on UA. A friend of mine is flying out of LHR at around the same time on Aer Lingus (Economy) to Dublin. Will I be able to guest him into the GFL even though Aer Lingus is not officially in the Star Alliance?

Also, the LHR GFL opens at 5am, right?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Your status means nothing since flying GF. You get one guest. Don't think it matters what they're flying, although if flying EI will be a good hike back to T2A. Yes it opens at 5am. Enjoy.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the replies KirkwoodJ and IAH-OIL-TRASH. I know sometimes there is the provision that the guest has to be on another Star Alliance flight (i.e. when I use my SEN status to guest in someone to the regular United Club, they sometimes ask to see the guest's boarding pass also) -- so glad to know it doesn't apply in this case!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Rules provide for one guest w/ no stated provision that the guest must be on same itinerary or any other particular itinerary.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Your status means nothing since flying GF. You get one guest. Don't think it matters what they're flying, although if flying EI will be a good hike back to T2A. Yes it opens at 5am. Enjoy.
Thanks for the replies KirkwoodJ and IAH-OIL-TRASH. I know sometimes there is the provision that the guest has to be on another Star Alliance flight (i.e. when I use my SEN status to guest in someone to the regular United Club, they sometimes ask to see the guest's boarding pass also) -- so glad to know it doesn't apply in this case!
Unfortunately, it does apply in your case.

Both UA and *A rules state that the guest MUST be on a star alliance flight departing from that airport.

From http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/
International First Class Customers
Customers have access to International First Class1 and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.
Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Customer must be a revenue customer
Customer is entitled to one guest
The guest must also present a boarding pass for any Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jgsx
Unfortunately, it does apply in your case.

Both UA and *A rules state that the guest MUST be on a star alliance flight departing from that airport.

From http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/
Those are *A rules, not UA rules. UA often applies more lenient rules to its own passengers. Do you have a cite to a corollary UA restriction?

AFAIK, there is no such restriction in the published UA rules.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those are *A rules, not UA rules. UA often applies more lenient rules to its own passengers. Do you have a cite to a corollary UA restriction?

AFAIK, there is no such restriction in the published UA rules.
You're right, UA did soften the rules for UA GFL access when traveling on UA metal. They dropped the requirement that the guest must be traveling on *A. That rule now only applies when using *G to gain entry to a UA club.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:18 am

Flying from DFW to NRT with connection at SFO in November with the girlfriend. Is it worth 15k miles each to upgrade our BF tickets to GF for the SFO GF lounge access?

Does the SFO GF lounge offer a "special experience"?

I have Amex Plat Centurion lounge access.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by guruboy
Flying from DFW to NRT with connection at SFO in November with the girlfriend. Is it worth 15k miles each to upgrade our BF tickets to GF for the SFO GF lounge access?

I was recently invited to the Global First Lounge on a paid business SFO-FRA flight. There was a promotion going on that allowed 1Ks to be invited. If you're 1K you might be also invited, I'm not sure if this would also apply to your girlfriend (unless she was also 1K). This is all assuming that the promotion is still effect in November.

I found the GFL to be very nice (love the high ceilings) and quiet. The Centurion Lounge is not as nice or quiet, but it does have much better food than the GFL, even though the GFL has a wider selection of food. I don't drink but I've heard the Centurion is also better for that.

Having said all of this I wouldn't hesitate to use 15K miles to upgrade SFO-NRT to Global First.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Hell no not for SFO GFL access, but yes for the seats on plane.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Hell no not for SFO GFL access, but yes for the seats on plane.
+1. May be worth it for the better seat, though if you're already sitting together upstairs, it's a tough call. If you do it for the lounge, prepare for buyer's remorse.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:11 pm

IMO, no, not at all, especially if you are flying on the 747 and can get UD seats (or even window seats). While the Ruinart at SFO is nice, I've heard fantastic things about the Amex Lounge (although it is in a different terminal than where your SFO-NRT flight will be) and I assume their food is much better than the sushi and sandwiches at the IFL. The main issue with United's BF is the lack of direct aisle access, but if you're with your SO, then it's not really an issue, especially on the UD.

It all depends though on how many miles you have / what you think GF is worth, but if it were me and I was traveling with my SO and had Centurion lounge access, I wouldn't think to spend 30k more miles just for the IFL & soup course in GF.

Last edited by kthpence; Sep 4, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
SFO GFL is nice

After flying domestic F from Maui, I'm in it for 1st time. Found the 4 comfy recliners in the quiet room and immediately fell asleep in the solo one on right. Just woke up to find breakfast has mostly been replaced by a fine lunch spread, including tolerable sushi and chicken skewers. Fine selection of booze. This is 'way better than the IAD GFL. No complaints. I was thinking of spending $50 to check out AMEX club, but my cheapness prevailed and I'm not at all disappointed. Long layover until my London flight and the recliner sleep was awesome.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
After flying domestic F from Maui, I'm in it for 1st time. Found the 4 comfy recliners in the quiet room and immediately fell asleep in the solo one on right. Just woke up to find breakfast has mostly been replaced by a fine lunch spread, including tolerable sushi and chicken skewers. Fine selection of booze. This is 'way better than the IAD GFL. No complaints. I was thinking of spending $50 to check out AMEX club, but my cheapness prevailed and I'm not at all disappointed. Long layover until my London flight and the recliner sleep was awesome.
Yes, it's well known that SFO's UA IFL is the best in their system (at least from what I've read and IMO), however the original question that was asked was whether or not it was worth 30k more miles plus not using (assumedly free) access to the Centurion Lounge. Do you think it's worth it is the 30k extra miles?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kthpence
I've heard fantastic things about the Amex Lounge (although it is in a different terminal than where your SFO-NRT flight will be)
There's an airside connection between concourses F and G. It's approx. 3 minutes (or less) from Centurion lounge to international departures in G.

Originally Posted by kthpence
Yes, it's well known that SFO's UA IFL is the best in their system (at least from what I've read and IMO)
No way. LHR is a clear #1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.