Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA spending time/money on opposition research/lobbying against some foreign carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA spending time/money on opposition research/lobbying against some foreign carriers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:55 pm

Exactly. Not to mention defaulting on pensions, accepting subsides from the Govt ...

Originally Posted by waxearwings
This from the company that gladly takes federal and state money to subsidize operations in a new city, invests no effort to market or provide adequate service (e.g. cancelled flights), and then ceases operating the second the subsidy money dries up (see Topeka, and others).

They may have a point regarding the level of subsidy from the Gulf governments, but it is difficult to sympathize with a company that is up to the same nonsense.

I am quite happy to have foreign taxpayers subsidize my air travel.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
One can blame QF's savage losses last year in large by pointing at the effect of ME3 on the Kangaroo Route. AA/DL/UA are different. They are not as exposed as QF is (also EU carriers for that matter) to ME3 competition. But AA/DL/UA nevertheless face limitations in terms of growth potential in far-flung markets.

So, overall, I am ambivalent. I don't blame AA/DL/UA for trying to curb ME3's growth here in the U.S., but I also don't think it's so bad that the ME3 states are so willing to subsidize U.S. consumers. For example, at last check, EK is carrying 40% LF on DFW-DXB, and it is willing to continue with it. ME3 represent more choices for U.S. consumers, which is a good thing. And in the end, ME3 do not threaten the livelihoods of AA/DL/UA like they have threatened QF, which is also a good thing.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's what $40 Billion companies do, no matter where they're based, really. Maybe the OP can enroll in 'Realities of Capitalism 101'.
OP here. I have very keen sense of capitalism and you are quite wrong that companies will do this anywhere. The simple truth is, they will only do it where they have a chance of succeeding. Capitalism isn't a problem. Government pandering to capitalism's basest tendencies is the problem.

If we petition our representatives to stop pandering to the legacy domestic carriers, we can change things. I've written my congressmen to ask that we Americans be allowed the freedom to choose which airlines we fly on. If enough others do the same, we can stop the nonsense.

Unfortunately, as your response reflects, there are many who would rather whine about Smisek and the evils of capitalism rather than actually doing something about govt. policy that brings out the worst in capitalism.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Although passengers are price-sensitive, many also would pay more to keep their UA premier status and mileage. Lots of FTers here are hoping UA can reinstate BKK service. UA should improve the soft and hard products to compete with foreign airlines. I also believe many Americans still prefer flying USA-based airlines.

If I were to travel from SFO to DXB, instead of taking EK A380 direct, I would take UA SFO-IAD-DXB. I still think UA miles and premier status are something to keep, maybe until the day I don't think it is worth. Am I a minority here?
I agree with this completely and know many who feel the same. I don't know about the minority question but you are definitely not alone.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:57 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by porciuscato
OP here. I have very keen sense of capitalism and you are quite wrong that companies will do this anywhere. The simple truth is, they will only do it where they have a chance of succeeding. Capitalism isn't a problem. Government pandering to capitalism's basest tendencies is the problem.

If we petition our representatives to stop pandering to the legacy domestic carriers, we can change things. I've written my congressmen to ask that we Americans be allowed the freedom to choose which airlines we fly on. If enough others do the same, we can stop the nonsense.

Unfortunately, as your response reflects, there are many who would rather whine about Smisek and the evils of capitalism rather than actually doing something about govt. policy that brings out the worst in capitalism.
Very interesting opinion. Americans do have the freedom to choose who they fly on, provided you buy your ticket. If your employer puts restrictions, as long as they're paying, that isn't anti-capitalistic, he who spends the money gets the choice, the basic foundation of capitalism. An employer may restrict you for incentives they get, be it a discount, extra perks, or if the person buying your ticket happens to be the government, it has many self serving reasons to buy on a IS flagged carrier, taxes, job growth, stability of a vital industry free from foreign control. I'm curious as to how the govt panders to the legacy carriers. Surely not in taking away slots from them and giving them to LCC/startups, surely not in avoiding following the laws of the Wright Ammendment. The list goes on and on (surely not in regulating a passenger bill of rights vs letting economic forces regulate the industry...)
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And then there's the Fly America Act - perhaps UA should be lobbying to permit Federal employees to fly on foreign carriers. Or they should persuade the government to use a dedicated troop carrying fleet.
Many foreign carriers already carry USG traffic. Besides the codeshare loophole (US flight number with foreign metal is a US carrier), international agreements have made a major impact into the safeguards US airlines had under Fly America:

Australian airlines can compete for USG traffic on US-Australia-US flights. http://www.gsa.gov/graphics/ogp/Aust..._Agreement.pdf (page 14)

EU airlines can compete for USG on US-EU-US flights, US-EU-third country, as well as flights wholly outside the US. http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/e/eu/114768.htm (Annex 3).

Japanese airlines can compete for USG traffic on US-Japan-US routes. http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/j/ja/133510.htm (Part XI).

Saudi airlines can compete for USG traffic US-Saudi-US traffic. http://airlineinfo.com/treaties/saudiarabia1.pdf (Annex 4, page 36).

Swiss airlines can compete for USG traffic on US-Swiss-US flights as well as flights wholly outside the US. http://www.gsa.gov/graphics/ogp/Swit..._Agreement.pdf (page 22).
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

No, I don't have the freedom to choose. I can't fly Lufthansa from JFK to ORD, for example, because the govt. won't let Lufthansa fly there. I can't fly on a domestic airline that is majority owned by Richard Branson, because the govt. prohibits it.

Originally Posted by fastair
Very interesting opinion. I'm curious as to how the govt panders to the legacy carriers.
Let's start with this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...air_heads.html

Europeans and Australians are a little wiser on this, only limiting foreign ownership to 49%, which may explain why it costs me $400 to fly 350 miles from MFR to SFO, but only $150 to make a similar flight in the EU.

Why not give Richard Branson a chance to develop an American airline without hamstringing the effort? It might motivate the legacies to shape up.

Then there's this:

http://www.afacwa.org/congress_takes..._norwegian_air
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:21 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
No, I don't have the freedom to choose. I can't fly Lufthansa from JFK to ORD, for example, because the govt. won't let Lufthansa fly there. I can't fly on a domestic airline that is majority owned by Richard Branson, because the govt. prohibits it.

Let's start with this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...air_heads.html

Europeans and Australians are a little wiser on this, only limiting foreign ownership to 49%, which may explain why it costs me $400 to fly 350 miles from MFR to SFO, but only $150 to make a similar flight in the EU.

Why not give Richard Branson a chance to develop an American airline without hamstringing the effort? It might motivate the legacies to shape up.

Then there's this:

http://www.afacwa.org/congress_takes..._norwegian_air
The govt sees that airlines are vital to the infrastructure of America, just as railroads, hence the RLA which makes it near impossible to strike. Similar to utilities. Foreign control of these is not what the govt wants for stability, say in a time of war. The CRAF fleet (airliners that are reconfigured for fed use) are routinely used even in this day of age. Just look at all the countries that have allowed foreign investment in things they consider infrastructure, that have been "nationalized" over the years. Try to buy gas from anyone other than Pemex in Mexico. There is a strategic purpose of a country that sometimes puts restrictions on complete free market conditions. This is far from unique to the U.S.

And to use the EU as an example of free market economics is a joke. That wS the promise before it was created, the reality is closer to a cartel.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: free agent
government should remember that they made a mistake by let mergers happen, which hurt than help customers. I hope that they don't repeat mistake by letting US-based CEOs dictate competition, and actually can't wait for EK's potential 5th freedom TPAC flights if it ever happens.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

The govt sees that airlines are vital to the infrastructure of America...
That was the reason back in 1938 when the law was passed. It hasn't been a valid reason for 50 years. And it's certainly not the reason the airlines and their congressional supporters are citing. They justify their market interference and the screwing of the U.S. flyer because it will "save American jobs."

Just look at all the countries that have allowed foreign investment in things they consider infrastructure, that have been "nationalized" over the years. Try to buy gas from anyone other than Pemex in Mexico.
Both prohibiting foreign investment and nationalization are extremely bad policy and the hallmark of banana republics. In a 21st Century democracy, we don't need to choose between them. We can resist them both.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
I'm half-inclined to write my congressman and the DOT and include some articles about what Jeff already is doing to "good aviation jobs", maybe with a CC to the Sears Tower. Think it would be a fun little protest.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:01 pm

That was the reason back in 1938 when the law was passed. It hasn't been a valid reason for 50 years. And it's certainly not the reason the airlines and their congressional supporters are citing. They justify their market interference and the screwing of the U.S. flyer because it will "save American jobs."

Both prohibiting foreign investment and nationalization are extremely bad policy and the hallmark of banana republics. In a 21st Century democracy, we don't need to choose between them. We can resist them both.
And I mentioned the jobs (as well as tax base) earlier. As to part two, every day, I hear H Ross Perot's warning of that "sucking sound" that NAFTA would create. I thought he was an idiot then, I've chdnged my mind now that I've seen the results. The U.S. doesn't prevent foreign I vestment, it encourages it. It does prevent foreign control. Investment and control are completely not equivocal. I didn't reject the idea of investment, I gave a few reasons why control would have some negative impacts. Taking money to take risks snd share in our abundance isn't prohibited, in fact many US airlines have large overseas shareholders, so foreign investment shouldn't be a question at all, the issue asked is about foreign control.

And I really think that the US policy of "screwing the U.S. flyer" is also a baseless arguement. Not toosny countries allow U.S. carriers to fly their wholly domestic routes on local basis, which, if I understand you correctly, is what your implying is somehow screwing us. If that's the case, most of the world is screwing us, not just our government.

Last edited by fastair; Feb 6, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If Congress allowed 6 airlines to merge into 3, thus eliminating any fair competition and permitting the level of collusion that exists today, they should permit cabotage for foreign carriers.

Regardless, the issue with the superior products of foreign carriers vs the junk US carriers offer comes down to this key difference: foreign carriers invest and reinvest for the benefit of their customers - shareholders be damned. US carriers, acting at the behest of such obnoxious gasbags as Hunter Keays, focus on shareholder value at the expense of customers and employees.

That's the fundamental flaw in the American service business, and only WN had a leader who was willing to tell shareholders "this is the way we are and the way we do business, take it or leave it" vs the silly, sad shareholder pandering that people like Smisek and Anderson engage in today.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:07 am
GeP

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Although passengers are price-sensitive, many also would pay more to keep their UA premier status and mileage.
That is what I have been doing for years (on my own money in addition to company paid travel).

However as benefits dwindle (CPUs barely working, RPUs becoming nail-biters, GPUs on LH becoming harder on top of more expensive base fares, RDMs being vastly reduced and award trips more expensive) soon what is going to be left is *A Gold status and its benefits, E+, and some fees waived.

*A Gold will come once it hit 1MM and the rest can be addressed with a little bit of money, not more than what I might have been using to earn status. At which point I'll become very "flexible". Does United not realize that this holds for (tens of) thousands of us, or do they simply not care?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Emirates buys 100s of A380 and other Airbus product which are in one way or another subsidized by the Europeans.
And Boeing commercial aircraft development is de facto subsidized by taxpayer-supported military aerospace contracts.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
UA has so many urgent needs to improve their service, on board, on the ground, in the lounges that one really wonders why they are willing to squander money away on pity matters as this one... A well managed company will be innovative and creative to stand up to any competition. UA, however, does not fall into that category.
It's cheaper and easier for an oligopoly to suppress new threats than improve its own game.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If Congress allowed 6 airlines to merge into 3, thus eliminating any fair competition and permitting the level of collusion that exists today, they should permit cabotage for foreign carriers.
How do you figure? The whole point of the last round of mergers was to consolidate pricing power and reduce competition. A bought-and-paid-for DoJ and Congress will never allow cabotage.

Originally Posted by GeP
...as benefits dwindle (CPUs barely working, RPUs becoming nail-biters, GPUs on LH becoming harder on top of more expensive base fares, RDMs being vastly reduced and award trips more expensive) soon what is going to be left is *A Gold status and its benefits, E+, and some fees waived.
Because MP is now a much less sticky "glue" binding repeat customers to a bad airline, and they appear to be defecting in droves to better competitors, UA's fallback play is to campaign against those competitors. They will try a lot of things before attempting to actually be "flyer-friendly," which is more costly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.