Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap United 'A' fares really 'A' fares?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Do these A fare post at 150% to MileagePlus? Anybody has experience with it?

Thanks
I just did BOS-ORD-SEA/SEA-SFO-BOS on a very good A fare, and got 150% PQM.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Some UP Fares now booking into A vs P/Z

Even as GS, I don't like to play the upgrade lottery and as such often just buy the F when it is reasonable especially domestically.

I noticed today that 4 of my regular routes out of PHX, the UP fares I normally buy are now booking into A rather than P or Z, like they used to. On at least 3 of the routes I regular the price has not changed nor has the underlying booking code necessary to get the UP fare, only the fare class it books into has (A vs P/Z).

Also on at least one of the routes, certain A fares were refundable, however now when request a flexible first class ticket, it is now only pulling F, at the same price the refundable A used to be.

Assuming this is permanent, this will may buying (and SDC) UP fares much easier, conversely, I fear it will continue to decrease the number of seats available for upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zambonisk
Assuming this is permanent, this will may buying (and SDC) UP fares much easier, conversely, I fear it will continue to decrease the number of seats available for upgrades.
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. Never in a million years did I think UA would actively limit upgrade seats.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UPs and UPDIs that book into A have been around for quite some time.

In fact, you can find UP/UPDI fares that book into just about every premium cabin fare class.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by zambonisk
Even as GS, I don't like to play the upgrade lottery and as such often just buy the F when it is reasonable especially domestically.

I noticed today that 4 of my regular routes out of PHX, the UP fares I normally buy are now booking into A rather than P or Z, like they used to. On at least 3 of the routes I regular the price has not changed nor has the underlying booking code necessary to get the UP fare, only the fare class it books into has (A vs P/Z).

Also on at least one of the routes, certain A fares were refundable, however now when request a flexible first class ticket, it is now only pulling F, at the same price the refundable A used to be.

Again, Smisek not so dumb. Getting people to buy, the same thing they used to get for free, gotta give the man credit actually.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's smart from both a UA and a passenger perspective. Always better to sell than dole out as a freebie. At the same time, the passenger gets to make the choice of paying for certainty vs. rolling the dice.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
It's smart from both a UA and a passenger perspective. Always better to sell than dole out as a freebie. At the same time, the passenger gets to make the choice of paying for certainty vs. rolling the dice.
I just wish it was slightly more transparent. I needed to book a DEN-NYC o/w for next week. .com represented the fares as "A" and "C"...only to discover this thread and find out that I'll be getting credited for "K". (Had a hunch it was too good to be true...or an "error fare". FT Oracle never fails me.)

DEN-IAH in "A" on an A320 and IAH-EWR in "C" on a 764. The whole thing will be credited as "K" DEN-EWR.

City Pairs Fare Class Fare Basis Code
DEN - EWR K KAA00AZN

Again, just wish it was more transparent. I'm still happy I paid $287 for F all the way, compared to $168 in Y.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those are UPDI fares - economy fare basis that books into A.

On UA, they typically credit as A fares (although they are not supposed to). Let us know how they credit in M&M - don't think we've seen any data points on that yet.
Yes, can someone report?

Do these post as A outside of Mileage Plus?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Yes, can someone report?

Do these post as A outside of Mileage Plus?
x2
I have a really great fare, all 4 segments showing as A - currently on FareLock. I'll just slide into status this year, if I'm going to come up short I'll cancel the farelock and book something else.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My A fares earlier this year that were (I think) a T fare basis posted with the 1.5 PQM and A fare class listed on my statement. Not sure that this is guaranteed though.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you're crediting to MP, I think it's very rare not to have an /UPDI fare post as the premium fare class with 150% PQM. I've never had any issues with that. Would be interesting what partners consider the fare class to be, but probably not a lot of domestic fliers crediting UA flights to anything else. There was discussion upthread about crediting to M&M but doesn't look like we have any data.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:47 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
I just wish it was slightly more transparent. I needed to book a DEN-NYC o/w for next week. .com represented the fares as "A" and "C"...only to discover this thread and find out that I'll be getting credited for "K".
There's no technical guarantee, but I've purchased a fair number of these fares, and they've always credited as the premium cabin.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by findark
If you're crediting to MP, I think it's very rare not to have an /UPDI fare post as the premium fare class with 150% PQM. I've never had any issues with that. Would be interesting what partners consider the fare class to be, but probably not a lot of domestic fliers crediting UA flights to anything else. There was discussion upthread about crediting to M&M but doesn't look like we have any data.
I buy them regularly, and credit to MP, and they always post as 150% PQM for me also.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I buy them regularly, and credit to MP, and they always post as 150% PQM for me also.
Yes, were interested if these's post as A fares on other programs besides Mileage Plus
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Same here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.