Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:32 am

1K now.
For 2015 : all my long haul flights have been booked and upgraded, minus a few connecting flights to LA on the WL.
FCO, TLV, BKK, ICN, MEL, AKL, MNL..if my math is correct, my 2015 EQM would be 115K...my PQD would be $12600.
Last year to put in the 100K...end of 2015 will get my 1st MM.
After that, stay Gold, and travel less, buy A,Z fares.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
(1) Silver
(2) Silver, maybe gold if I'm lucky
(3) Despite the new PQD hurdles, I'm now and then traveling for work, often with short notice, and that's made it possible to keep requalifying. Otherwise my occasional leisure travel wouldn't get me there.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
(1) Gold

(2) I'm going for Silver for 2016. I have one major J cabin PHL-HNL flight which will get me well on the way to Silver, and I hope to reach that level organically by making a few more leisure domestic trip runs throughout the year.

(3) My PHL-HNL in March on UA will put me at 15K/25K PQM and about 2/3 of my PQD for the Silver requirement, so I thought I might as well go for it. I researched J cabin fares for my March HNL trip and UA offered the most value at a fair price, so I decided to go with them. These days, rather than blindly go for UA all the time, I'll evaluate which carrier offers the best value.

Let me give a little background for this modified strategy. I was Gold in all of 2013 and 2014. While there have been some features that I've really liked about UA Gold status--mainly E+ access at booking, SDC, and CPU--there are some minuses that make me rethink this. Mainly these reasons: UA going revenue for qualifying miles in March, the increased PQD, and my dismal CPU upgrade rate (this is a guess, maybe only about 20%). I've read way too many "grass is greener" posts of UA --> AA switchers, and so that gives me pause.

If I hold the right credit card, I can get perks that emulate some of elite benefits for other legacy carriers. I do have a US Airways credit card, and I can always apply for a Delta one. That's what I mean when I say I can shift strategies and look to the legacy airline that offers me a good flight for a good price. I don't have to blindly fly United all the time. I expect that I'll meet the Silver goal if I fly organically with United this year. I don't think (at least not yet) that I'm going to try to rush and mileage/revenue run with UA to try to get to Gold, so I'm comfortable setting the bar to Silver for now.

If I decide to dump UA this year, I'll use my current UA Gold to do a status challenge with another carrier, and that's probably going to be AA (as I alluded to, above).

With all that being said, there is a small possibility that I may shift gears and adjust my strategy, and go for UA Gold after all. I'll be monitoring events and news at UA over the next months. If I have a mind-blowing positive experience on my HNL flight, and if I see a genuine improvement of service, then I may go for Gold. But I'm not hopeful. So let's just say for now that I've set my sights on Silver and that's going to be enough.

Last edited by Ruhr; Feb 17, 2015 at 3:01 pm Reason: Request for clarification by mkr
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
(1)What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

1K.

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

None...will be at Gold for 1mm status.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

Got fed up and said, "enough is enough" and went over to AA. 100% upgrades all of the time, even on heavily traveled routes.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016 AND how?

I just passed 3 Million Miles and am a Lifetime 1K.

For the pass 20 years or so, I used to make 1k by barely hitting 100k each year. When United announced PQD in 2013 I realized that my average CPM was too low (i.e. $.06-$.07/mile). After weighing the pro's and con's I decided to consolidate my flying to United and reach 3 Million as soon as practical (for the past 4-5 years, flew Delta about 40-50k).

When the PDQ announcement was made in 2013, I was at 2.6 million miles. In addition to consolidating all flying on United, I actively pursued mileage runs. In 2015, I flew 300k miles and ended 2015 with about 2.95 million miles. After a couple of January MR's I just passed 3 MM this week.

With all the recent downgrading of benefits, I was concerned that the 3 MM Lifetime 1k benefit would soon go away, thus my push in 2014. I learned first hand about having stated benefits disappearing. When United eliminate the 2 MM Lifetime United Club benefit, I was short about 40k. I was one of the fortunate ones who was granted Lifetime Club benefit.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?

I am now deciding what to do. United - I would like to obtain lifetime GS status (4 MM). First to regain upgrade priority that has been lost as a 1k. Also to be able to upgrade on International award tickets.

Delta - I will be losing Platinum status at the end of the month. I enjoyed flying Delta and seemed to be upgraded as often (if not more) than as a 1k with United.

American - I have 600k lifetime miles and am thinking of trying to reach 1 MM to obtain Gold status. In addition, with American still awarding redeemable miles based on miles versus dollars.

For the time being I will continue to fly United, if nothing else, to burn through all the RPU's and GPU's earned last year.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
1. Platinum

2. Fly 47K to reach 1.00 MM

3. Rely on 1MM (until UA inevitably decides to redefine "lifetime") and fly *A
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:33 pm

1) Gold

2) Gold

3) Gold is worth maintaining for *G international benefits, especially clubs. I fly almost exclusively transatlantic.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
1) 1K

2) 1K, 2 trips to Asia in C for PQD, 1-2 trips to Europe, 1 trip to Hawaii, 4-5 transcon trips.

3) UA and *A is the best option for Asia (Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China). I'm at 874K lifetime, need to get to 1MM for lifetime Gold and international *A lounge access. My 1MM in US is only good for lifetime Silver so no international lounge access on OW.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?
(General Member, Silver Premier, etc.)

Premier Gold

(2) What are your plans for earning certain MP Premier status for 2016 AND how will you achieve that status?

Lifetime Premier Gold when I go over 1MM in May

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain Premier Status in 2015 for 2016 with UA?

see above.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:49 am

(1) 1K.

(2) 1K. Will be a bit short of the 12,000 PQD, so will use the United Visa companion voucher to buy an expensive U fare ticket for myself that will cost just a bit more than 2 lower fare tickets. This way, two can fly, but I get all the miles and PQD. For once, the companion voucher works in my favor.

(3) I fly for leisure. I go after the status/mileage accrual and use miles for my Silver husband to accompany me on fun trips.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:02 am

(1) Plat

(2) Will drop to Gold with MM

(3)I will occasionally fly UA due to schedule and E+ (e.g. SFO-BOS), but all of my international travel (all premium) is now on foreign carriers, and I am crediting to AA (eg. CX and BA, rather than NH and LH). Devaluation of MP on ALL fronts means I am just plain no longer loyal to UA. At this point in the game, AA clearly values my business more, hence they get my business. I'll easily hit EX PLT on AA, mostly off of J flights on CX. Oh, and the J flights on CX are actually cheaper than UA/NH these days. Go figure ...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
1. 1K

2. 1K possibly GS

3. Being based in CLE I'll continue to fly united until the service gets completely intolerable and/or they take way the club. I'm a hostage to UA at the moment. My PQD is way past the min for 1K... but not quite enough for GS usually.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by LordHamster
1. 1K

2. 1K possibly GS

3. Being based in CLE I'll continue to fly united until the service gets completely intolerable and/or they take way the club. I'm a hostage to UA at the moment. My PQD is way past the min for 1K... but not quite enough for GS usually.
I'm with you, Cricetidae Mesocricetus, but I'm not sure why you think service will get worse. Of late, I prefer the facility and personnel in CLE better than anywhere else and I find I'm getting around the country and world about as well as I did before the Hub closed. By the way, the Club will remain in situ at least until after the GOP Convention.

1. Platinum
2. Gold
3. 49k PQMs booked already. If my LH MUC-FCO earns PQMs, that'll push me over the Gold hurdle. If not I have boatloads of FPQMs to fall back on.

Edited to explain why I'll be going from Plat to Gold this year: It has nothing to do with current or expected conditions vis-ŕ-vis United. I routinely earn 35-40k BIS PQMs and supplement that with some FPQMs and Accelerator PQMs to reach Gold. The only reason I made Platinum this year was a couple of unexpected cheap/error fares. Assuming that doesn't happen again, I'll fall back to my typical Gold. And that's fine with me.

Last edited by RNE; Feb 23, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
1.) Platinum
2.) Gold (but only thanks to MM status)
3.) Gave up on 1K when PQDs came in and went to Plat since I have the old CO PP credit card with its PQD exemption. With the March 1st changes to MP, the incremental benefits of platinum vs gold (via Million Miler) are not worth it given that the RDM earn slash.
No upgrades. Next to no RDMs. There's pretty much nothing left.
Next flights on Spirit and then US. First time in 10+ years where I had no revenue UA tickets purchased and no plans to make any. I was a UA elite living in Houston years before the CO takeover so I have a high tolerance for connections, etc. I knew the day this merger was announced that my days with UA were numbered--the only surprise was that it took this long.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
(1) What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

Maintain 1K. 80K miles planned already, should be able to hit the $12K spend, most tickets paid by others but booked by me, so incentive to save $$ on fares is diminished.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?

Once I get to 2MM (no fees for canceling award tickets is a very nice perk when you are flying kids and spouse around), may consider a status match with DL. They seem to have better service, and for me being in SEA, much better routes, esp TPACs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.