Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
(1)What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

1K.

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

6 trips from LAX to Guam in business.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

UA has the only direct (1 stop) flights to Guam. If any other airline steps in with a flight from LAX or SFO nonstop to Guam, I am there.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
1) 1k

2) Don't see the point in trying for any status on United anymore. Thinking about trying for an EXP challenge. I'm actually expecting a big increase in international travel (esp. TPAC) this year, and I might do some of it on UA if I can confirm GPUs at booking. Otherwise, it'll be someone else. I suppose I might hit 1k unintentionally this way, but I'm certainly not going out of my way to do so.

3) Service reductions have made it very difficult for me to use UA to conduct business. I have fewer and fewer options that get me where I need to be when I need to be there. Even with a week's notice, I often can't find anything (and when I do it's a middle seat in E-). No upgrades so far in 2015. The fares are exorbitant (easily twice what I was paying 18 months ago) and the perks are nonexistent. PQD isn't an issue.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
1. 1k

2. I'm based in Syd and Family and lots of work commitments in Europe and east cost USA
If I fly the trip always ends up being >20k BIS and mostly >27k-pqm
I've got 2 booked already for work, a 3rd is likely and the 4th for x-mas is a near given
I've also got another trip to nepal planned for vacation which is good for another 15k miles using TG

3. Its Jan and I've already confirmed 6GPU's on flights ex syd for this years travel, I'm happy... for this year...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
1) plat
2) no real plan - at least make 1mm (ca. 40k to go) and will see
3) i actually haven't found UA service to be worse than other carriers i'm able to fly (with the exception of emirates), and recently had two relatively good customer service conclusions. ironically had a wonderful CS incident with brussels airlines (whereby i was reimbursed cash for a delayed flight), but otherwise my alternatives (LH,OS) are not really making a case for themselves.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
(1)What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

Plat

Plat, mostly from domestic transcons plus 1 Europe and 1 Asia.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

PQD. Can't justify $12,000 (pre-tax) of my own dough to chase a few GPUs.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
1) Plat (1K previous 6 years)
2) Not chasing UA status this year. I'm pretty happy with my switch to AA. I will, however, fly UA if fare is significantly cheaper than AA.
3) Just tired of UA. They don't care about me or the money I've brought them through my travels, friends and family travel, and co-workers' travel. Hoping I might even get a coupld TOD's next year when I have no status!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
1. UA Plat
2. Will probably only hit Gold for 2016. Could match to AA at some point but we'll how UA does this year.
3. PQD will most likely be responsible.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:17 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
(1) What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

Gold (via 1 MM)

None

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?

UA has gone downhill since the merger and I'm tired of unreliable UAX flights, poor customer service, and surely employees. Now that's Friendly Flying.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:24 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
1. 1K
2. 1K
3. Most of my travel is work-related, and fares were high enough last year that I hit the PQD threshold without trouble. Furthermore, 1K has been good to me -- I made good use of my GPUs last year. If AA offered a straight-up match, I'd probably take it, but in its absence, I'll keep working toward MM.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
PLEASE ANSWER:

1K.

i plan on re-qualifying for 1K. not anything specific, most of my trips (i do field sales) are fairly last minute and change frequently and in 2014 i hit 112,947 PQM and 101.5 PQS just through normal work and without even thinking about status or anything. not a huge amount like the 200K+ flyers, but enough for me. also at $24,539 PQD, the spend requirements didn't really phase me.

i live in midtown west in manhattan, and EWR and LGA are my preferred airports. JFK is a pain to get to. with this combination, UA is pretty much the dominant carrier for me. and quite honestly, the operations haven't been all that bad in the last year or two. UA's not superb, but it gets me where i need to go. so another year, here i come i guess.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ryman554
spin, come on. =) I know you hate UA more than the next guy, but lifetime plat? That you can "gift" to somebody else <that lives at your house....>?
My SO had "gifted" GS status for two years, and "gifted" 1K status last year, and did not use it. She finds the UA service to be crappy, and has had a few bad IRROPs experience (one with me) so avoids UA. She flies VX or CX or ANA.

But for me, what is the value proposition? I can give UA $50K this year, get no upgrades (because out of SFO they go to TODs or corporate GS folks), even when I go back to 1K, and have crappy service and lots of IRROPs, or I can fly OALs. And what is the "Lifetime" Plt worth? I get lounge access with *G (till Jeff takes that away, his promises are not exactly worth anything) and basically the only difference in "Lifetime" PLT vs. Gold is an extra 2 miles/$1 of spending. That is literally it. Its not like upgrades would clear for me as a PLT vs. Gold. Getting the UA card would give me the same extra miles. PLT gets no extra service over Gold.

So instead I just got an AMEX Plt card (lounge access on DL and centurian lounges) and am flying VX (paying for F when I want it) or DL (same deal with a few freebee upgrades so far)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
1) Gold
2) Likely silver..
3) Just less work travel. No trips to Asia planned..
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:43 am

2015. Gold
2016 gold hopefully

Trip to europe,trip to asia, back and forth from pdx to phx all on my on dime. Will get the cc waiver

No other good options and *gold makes for nice overseas travel
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:01 pm

Gold

Will probably end up as Silver or GM. I don't have any trips planned to Asia so far, and I won't have quite as many trips on UA most likely.

I have less travel planned with UA overall this year, and it's more convenient and often cheaper to take AA/US or WN for other places I'm going this year.

Even if I did want better status, I'd have trouble achieving it because I'd likely only hit Gold or higher with trips to Asia, and I'd much rather take another airline to Asia -- which means PQD would be a problem if I were trying for status with UA.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:23 pm

1. Started GM, down from 1K due to changes in travel pattern.

2. Qualified for silver already, one Asia trip from gold which will happen since UA is still the most convenient connection to TPE in economy.

3. There's no longer a need to try to squeeze in an extra trip or two to make 1K as my PQD total won't even come close but with planned travel I'll likely end up somewhere between gold and platinum so perhaps platinum which may help in trying to redeem my remaining miles for LH FC. That being said, UA comes in very close to the bottom price for many of my long-haul trips and if it's E+ vs. someone else's 31" pitch seat why not take the E+ seat? I'm actively shopping Kayak though and will no longer be flying UA exclusively unless it makes sense due to the flight schedules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.