Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?

General member as of 2/1/2015

(2) What are your plans for earning certain MP Premier status for 2016 AND how will you achieve that status?

I am considering leveraging my US CP/AA EXP status for a match to UA 1K. I'm definitely not interested in earning UA status the hard way.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain Premier Status in 2015 for 2016 with UA?

Have close to 50,000 miles left over in my MP account and would love to be able to book awards with no fees and cancel and redeposit for free.

Like to have access to Economy Plus seating for free. Unfortunately, *G status doesn't get those.

Upgrades are less of an issue as I've been used to not being upgraded.

Bonus miles are no longer an issue as they are now tied to price and not distance flown.

I have been impressed with the meals in International Economy, so I know things at UA are improving but the FF program is very important consideration for me, so the more UA plays with it, the less I'm likely to be interested in it. I would consider doing a match and flying the required number of miles to retain the status but certainly not going to do it the regular way.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Premier Gold

(2) What are your plans for earning certain MP Premier status for 2016 AND how will you achieve that status?

I plan to drop to GM with UA. I won't credit any flights to them.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain Premier Status in 2015 for 2016 with UA?

I plan to make a switch from *A to OW/AS this year. I'll fly enough with A3 to maintain *G for the next year. All of my traveling is leisure, so the RDMs were a huge draw for me. Now that those are gone, I'm less tempted to stick with UA.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / MM
Global Services

I'll likely drop to 1K if I use UA / LH to the Middle East. If I choose better routing and cheaper fares (QR, EY, EK, TK), I will likely drop to Gold (lifetime Gold with 1MM).

My travel has changed from IAH-EZE and IAH-FRA in 2014 to IAH-AUH for 2015 - I'm trying ME airlines but will also consider IAH-IAD-DXB on UA metal. Still some uncertainty on work travel.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 pm

80% chance I will remain 1K. Lot's of travel forecast, ex-SFO, and to destinations UA serves better than the competition.

More flying to non-UA destinations (destinations where DL, AA, or VX serve with superior options) would be the only reason I do not achieve 1K on United.

Total forecasted flying: about 120K PQM's, $14 - $18K PQD's. Total across all airlines.

SFO, schedule are the two biggies.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Premier Gold, dropped from 1K last year

Platinum. 3 R/T Business SFO/BKK plus a couple of short domestic US flights.

I live in the SF Bay Area.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
1K => GS after challenge

I will continue to fly UA as I have in the past and see how it plays out. If they put me through the same process next year (drop to 1K, GS challenge) then I will change my thoughts on loyalty.

I am just short of 3MM and I think that lifetime 1K does have some value.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
1K. Very close to 2MM (will be achieved at the end of March).

1K. I already have the mileage (120K so far) but I am way below in $ spend. So I will take some BF flights where it makes sense for me and take advantage to cheap fares to mainly Asia to continue boosting my BIS.

Decided to go for 1K as a by-product of my 2MM objective. Since I have already the 2015 mileage and a chunk of the $ requirement I might as well go for 1K.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold

I should stay 1K if I continue in my current role. Mostly TCON Y, but a few TATL/TPAC trips as well in J.

I would probably switch away but for the major route I fly -- BOS-SFO, my only alternatives are LCCs with poor rewards programs.

Domestic F is a bit more compelling now, but they're still tough to get upgraded particularly on the times when a lot of consultants travel. But at least I have a chance.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
(1) 2015 1K - MM

(2) I'll remain a 1K domestic flyer 150 PQS. 120K PQM and $30K PQD

(3) Hub based with few other choices offering same route network plus I don't want to start the dance with a new airline at this point. Mild case of Stockholm Syndrome

Last edited by limey1K; Mar 2, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
PLEASE ANSWER CONCISELY:

1K - MM

NONE - UA has lost my loyalty due to poor customer service

As a 1K, rather than trying to help, UA sends a computer generated response. Then, when questioned why, I am told that I am correct, but they are not going to provide any assitance.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

Expect I'll probably drop to Plat.

It's just not worth the effort any more. The main value of 1K to me was the ability to apply Globals on LH, but they've taken that away (I fly on YCA). I can't remember the last time I got a CPU. So the only difference between 1K and plat that I can see is better phone service during IRROPS -- but if I fly other carriers, I suspect I'll have less need for this.

Maybe 1K will happen again, but it just doesn't seem worth the energy and $ for striving, and for flying UA in the face of better flight options.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
1. Silver status earned last year (dropped from 1K for 4 years)
2. Achieve 1MM status this year (short 80K), I travel midcons 2-3 times a month.
3. Introduction of PQD was a stab in the back to UA loyalists. Ideally it should have been an alternate to PQS/PQM for those high spenders. I want to use UA exclusively till I am 1MM and then start using SW as alternative.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by tashi
1. Silver status earned last year (dropped from 1K for 4 years)
2. Achieve 1MM status this year (short 80K), I travel midcons 2-3 times a month.
3. Introduction of PQD was a stab in the back to UA loyalists. Ideally it should have been an alternate to PQS/PQM for those high spenders. I want to use UA exclusively till I am 1MM and then start using SW as alternative.
You will probably get to 1.0MM miles just in time for

1.0MM Silver
2.0 MM Gold
3.00 PLAT
4.00 1K

GS no longer available, except for the ones WKWTA
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Smile

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You will probably get to 1.0MM miles just in time for

1.0MM Silver
2.0 MM Gold
3.00 PLAT
4.00 1K

GS no longer available, except for the ones WKWTA
LOL... I wouldnt be surprised if 1MM becomes lifetime Silver with how everything is going at UA and future prediction of 1MM to be lifetime general member.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
1) 1K

2) Plat or 1K (Several Transcons, Far East Asia, handful of Europe trips and vacay to Dominican Rep)

3) Flying patterns shifting to LatinAm and points with no UA (only *A) coverage. Will make the Chase spend waiver - but with no PQDs on COPA/OALs this might impact 1K attainment despite longer segments/miles. Overall, always had good service on UA and haven't been as impacted by delays as others. No real complaint with UA, certainly not what it was years ago - but still my go-to airline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.