Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
1 for 1 or 2 for 3/3 for 4?
1 for every 2 seat rows.

2 for every 3 seat rows

3 for every 4 seat rows.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
1 for 1 or 2 for 3/3 for 4?
In this day and age and 777 being longhaul, one would EXPECT 1 for 1 like A321 AA I flew not too long ago. And that was actually a sUS bird But IIRC, sAA had 1 for 1 as well ^
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:52 pm

Btw looks like this aircraft is mostly staying stateside for the time being. Will operate an LAX-IAD-LAX turn tomorrow.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It's not like the UA and particularly CO implementations of AVOD are reliable. Constant reboots on longhaul and sometimes it just never works.
Ah that reminds me my sCO 777 BOM-EWR had a joyous 7-8 minute Linux penguin reboot midflight. And the IFE is already so moronic. It lists each movie 6 times for each language, instead of once. Then when you select one, the next screen you still have to choose a language.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Ah that reminds me my sCO 777 BOM-EWR had a joyous 7-8 minute Linux penguin reboot midflight. And the IFE is already so moronic. It lists each movie 6 times for each language, instead of once. Then when you select one, the next screen you still have to choose a language.
And best of all "For Korean select Dutch"
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
In this day and age and 777 being longhaul, one would EXPECT 1 for 1 like A321 AA I flew not too long ago. And that was actually a sUS bird But IIRC, sAA had 1 for 1 as well ^

AA's spec for new planes (and DL's and AS's) is 1 power and 1 USB per seat in Economy.

UA is on its own with < 1 power port per seat in Economy and no USB.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I was on it ORD-SFO on Sunday.

Hadn't been following this thread, so didn't even realize anything had changed until I got onboard and said 'this looks different'

First impressions: J looks perfectly fine. Yes it's 2-4-2, but the seats are lie flat; the screens are big, etc. it's no Polaris, but for the largely domestic runs it will be fine.

Y is NARROW. No worse than the 787 I was on last week, but man... That could be rough on a long flight. Seats were fairly firm. Power outlets are on the seat in front... No scrounging underneath your seat trying to find it. They have this new blue light that shows up in the aisle when people were plugged in, so FAs can easily enforce the nothing plugged in at takeoff rule. Boo. Overhead light and FA call button was in the top of the armrest, which is the only major design flaw. People were constantly pressing the button while just resting their arm on the armrest.

The neatest thing in Y is the iPad holder mounted in the back of the seat in front of you ( where the IFE used to be ). I know there's mixed feelings about no IFE, but I personally think it's pretty genius.

Wifi didn't work, which I wasn't happy about ( but they gave me a $200 ETC as compensation ).

All told, a fine config for domestic, minus the horribly narrow Y seats.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:27 pm

Any pictures of the new Y seat yet? I don't think I've caught any in this thread.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
Power outlets are on the seat in front... No scrounging underneath your seat trying to find it.
Well, one good thing about that was many pax didn't know about outlets, so there was no fighting for the outlet
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
A Y pic courtesy of 'nonrevnick' on Instagram

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  392.4 KB
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
A Y pic courtesy of 'nonrevnick' on Instagram
Boy, that's ugly.

And 2-3-2 power outlets

Last edited by EmailKid; Jun 17, 2016 at 7:56 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Boy, that's ugly.

And 2-3-3 power outlets
That is just so far behind a state of the art seat in terms of electronics. Are any other major carriers currently taking delivery of mainline aircraft with no video screens and shared power outlets in Y???
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is just so far behind a state of the art seat in terms of electronics. Are any other major carriers currently taking delivery of mainline aircraft with no video screens and shared power outlets in Y???
Only the ones with Smisek's Project Quality in place.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:09 am

I certainly wish the seat was 3-3-3, but the seat back itself looks really nice. Love that there is a tablet holder. That said, the power outlet situation is stupid, there should be one for every seat. If you are expecting people to bring their own entertainment you need to provide a way for it to last the whole flight. How short-sighted.

My ideal would be AVOD and tablet holder. I know that would never happen though. That is way too flyer friendly.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I certainly wish the seat was 3-3-3, but the seat back itself looks really nice. Love that there is a tablet holder. That said, the power outlet situation is stupid, there should be one for every seat. If you are expecting people to bring their own entertainment you need to provide a way for it to last the whole flight. How short-sighted.

My ideal would be AVOD and tablet holder. I know that would never happen though. That is way too flyer friendly.
How often have you seen people use power outlets?

I very rarely see anyone using them, and if there's no demand to use them why does it matter if there are less power ports (still one available per seat)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.