Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It would be all sUA 77A aircraft that would be getting this new configuration. So the 9 "Hawaiian" birds and the 10 3-cabin birds that are used on the shorter EWR/IAD - Europe flights would get this new layout. The sCO 777s and the remaining sUA 3-cabin 777s will remain in their current configurations.
So after this config all Hawaiian 767 and 777 service will feature flat bed ? That would be a nice upgrade
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
If they went to 15.5" seats, they could do 11 across. @:-)
Why stop there?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I think this makes a lot of sense, and I consider it an upgrade within the framework of reality. The sub-fleet is limited to the short range sUA 772 aircraft.

• All Hawaii 772 birds will get flat bed seats up front. I imagine these will be recycled IPTE C seats. People were livid about the barcalounger refit, so this is the upgrade everyone wanted.

• Yes, E- goes 3-4-3 which is similar to AA, but there is a very large E+ section which stays 9 abreast. Those that cant upgrade still have a decent E+ section.

• My guess, UNITED will deploy the sub-fleet to Hawaii, perhaps some northern South America routes which could use the cargo capacity, and maybe GUM. It's not impossible that we could see some hub to hub wide body action back in the rotation. I don't foresee the HD sub-fleet TATL, but I guess it's possible.

Way to optimize the aircraft and increase premium cabin comfort IMO. However, if UNITED gets greedy and sends it on TATL, big

Last edited by anc-ord772; Feb 2, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by SFO777
If they went to 15.5" seats, they could do 11 across. @:-)

Americans are slimming down , so it could work. Thanks to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers and the South Beach Diet. 11 across. At this rate go to 12 across.

Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier and Sun Country would be asking "how did the new UA think of this concept" - before us? Brilliant? @:-)

Flts to Hawaii - 10, 11 or 12 across would be "pure bliss" in Y. (Even 10 across would be terrible).

I'll be sitting in F with my lobster tail and fillet mignon and red or white "wine". Who thinks this stuff up? Some bean counter in Houston or "The windy city"?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I think this makes a lot of sense, and I consider it an upgrade within the framework of reality. The sub-fleet is limited to the short range sUA 772 aircraft.

• All Hawaii 772 birds will get flat bed seats up front. I imagine these will be recycled IPTE C seats. People were livid about the barcalounger refit, so this is the upgrade everyone wanted.

• Yes, E- goes 3-4-3 which is similar to AA, but there is a very large E+ section which stays 9 abreast. Those that cant upgrade still have a decent E+ section.

• My guess, UNITED will deploy the sub-fleet to Hawaii, perhaps some northern South America routes which could use the cargo capacity, and maybe GUM. We might even see some hub to hub wide body action back in the rotation. I don't foresee the HD sub-fleet TATL. If it happens at all it won't be for some time.

Way to optimize the aircraft and increase premium cabin comfort IMO.
Unless the company decides to put the sCO 777 or 764 on the HNL - GUM route these sUA 777s that are getting reconfigured will continue to fly to/from GUM.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:31 pm

Unless the company decides to put the sCO 777 or 764 on the HNL - GUM route these sUA 777s that are getting reconfigured will continue to fly to/from GUM.
Rectified in original post.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Feb 2, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
EK does it with 32-34" pitch, though. AC and AA do it with 31" pitch. And that makes a huge difference.
AC uses slimline regional seats on Long Haul 777. We call them {HD} ships.
Hopefully United wont go to that extreme.
Seat pitch is only 31" because of slimline seats so reality is the seats are more like 29"

Its a race to the bottom, so far AC is leading not only did they add 100 seats they remove some of the washrooms while adding 100 seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2016 at 9:30 am Reason: removed potentially offensive term
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
I'd rather see the 764 put back on HNL - GUM and one of the GUM - NRT trips. I know the GUM based crews would love that.
flew with 2 GUM based crews today and mentioned the HD plans to some crew members; they all rolled their eyes. i don't get to fly with them often, but GUM based crews have always been super.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
flew with 2 GUM based crews today and mentioned the HD plans to some crew members; they all rolled their eyes. i don't get to fly with them often, but GUM based crews have always been super.
GUM based crews are some of the best it's a very small base and everyone knows each other etc. I'm wondering if it was because they were hoping to at least see the sCO plane back on the HNL - GUM - HNL & the GUM - NRT - GUM trips since after they pulled the 764 off the GUM flights and replaced it with the sUA 777, the GUM crews are stuck flying 737s. That's one of the main reasons a couple of the GUM based FAs transferred over to sCO and the mainland was because they wanted to fly other aircraft then just a 737.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT

I will shift my IAH-Hawaii flights back to UA from AS if this turns out to be true.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by bdraco
I will shift my IAH-Hawaii flights back to UA from AS if this turns out to be true.
Why did you switch in the first place? You prefer AS 737 F over UA 737/757 F and 752/764 BF?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why did you switch in the first place? You prefer AS 737 F over UA 737/757 F and 752/764 BF?
Or AS F over barcalounger on the 772 Hawaii config? That makes no sense at all.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:45 am

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was relegated to only the Hawaii birds, but to see 10 3-class IPTE birds be dismantled is sad. That means these HD 777s are going to start showing up on the shorter Atlantic flights...that's not a net plus to me.

If they go ahead with this (which I assume they are), it's intresting to speculate where all the IPTE F/J seats go...those seats are only about halfway through their useful life (if that), and it would dumbfound me of they threw them away. I'd assume if they were smart about it they would:

1) Use the F/J IPTE seats from the 10 (?) 3-class 763s being reconfigurated along with the 10 777s F/J IPTE seats to fill in the 10 new 773s, and/or/either use them for:
2) The 28J configuration on the HD 777s

I'd say there's not enough IPTE J seats to go around, so maybe the 773s would get the new J product? Lots of unknowns at this point.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by why fly
AC uses slimline regional seats on Long Haul 777. We call them {HD} ships.
Hopefully United wont go to that extreme.
Seat pitch is only 31" because of slimline seats so reality is the seats are more like 29"
Seat pitch is a defined industry measure. It doesn't matter if seats are slimline or not. It can't be used interchangeably with legroom because slimline seats can offer more legroom for the same pitch.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2016 at 9:31 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Has this been confirmed for the International birds? Last I heard it was only Hawaii config.

Is UA really replacing GF on these birds? Routes like BRU, FRA still sell GF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.