Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So UA is going to make 'premium economy' by making the standard Y seats smaller. That's classy. Are people getting wider or thinner??

Do they sit up in that Willis Tower in Chicago and try to think of ways to make flying more painful? "We already made the seats thinner, now lets make them skinnier, and then complain when there are more people and the same about of OHS for bags."
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PushingTin
So UA is going to make 'premium economy' by making the standard Y seats smaller. That's classy. Are people getting wider or thinner??

Do they sit up in that Willis Tower in Chicago and try to think of ways to make flying more painful? "We already made the seats thinner, now lets make them skinnier, and then complain when there are more people and the same about of OHS for bags."
UA is hardly a trendsetter in considering moving to a HD configuration in Y. It's already being done around the world.

So long as pax continue to buy tickets based solely on price, the airlines will have considerable incentives to make these sorts of moves.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
PE=E+ so nothing changes there. Real PE won't sell well among UA's crowd. (AA's version of E+ seems to work well on its new 77Ws.) For me the issue is UA's C seats that on the 2-4-2 aircraft are horrible. UA should be considering replacing these sardine can seats with the ones used on the PMCO 777s. And even then it will be behind its three NAmerican competitors who are (or will be) flying 777s with 1-2-1 in business, as are most of UA's transPac competitors/alliance partners.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Did you read the article. The reporter mis-used the term PE, which is clearly a reference to E+. UA will follow the lead of AA and keep a couple of E+ rows with 3-3-3, then the rest of economy will go to 3-4-3 as is the case for many other airlines flying the latest versions of the 777, including the legendarily lauded EK.!

Of course when you're the airline that thinks 8 across is fine in business, why not 10 across in economy?!

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 2, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shareholder
including the legendarily lauded EK.!
EK does it with 32-34" pitch, though. AC and AA do it with 31" pitch. And that makes a huge difference.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:55 pm

My guess is they'll use the current legacy UA 763 (3 cabin) business class seats for the first class product on these reconfigured Hawaii birds.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA is hardly a trendsetter in considering moving to a HD configuration in Y. It's already being done around the world.

So long as pax continue to buy tickets based solely on price, the airlines will have considerable incentives to make these sorts of moves.
Unfortunately this seems to be the case. As rankourabu stated today in the AC forum "Are 10 across 777s news though? Doesnt every airline have them by now?"

... For me the issue is UA's C seats that on the 2-4-2 aircraft are horrible. UA should be considering replacing these sardine can seats with the ones used on the PMCO 777s. And even then it will be behind its three NAmerican competitors who are (or will be) flying 777s with 1-2-1 in business, as are most of UA's transPac competitors/alliance partners.
I agree, but I'm not holding my breath here.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Like some of the others, I don't really have a problem with United evaluating their options, but if they are going to go high density on them, I'd like to see them be on shorter routes (Transcon USA etc) and not on 8,9,10+ hour hops
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Continental
No seats....all pax stand during flight....
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Did you read the article. The reporter mis-used the term PE, which is clearly a reference to E+. UA will follow the lead of AA and keep a couple of E+ rows with 3-3-3, then the rest of economy will go to 3-4-3 as is the case for many other airlines flying the latest versions of the 777, including the legendarily lauded EK.!
Sorry, left out the intermediate step that UA is making E+ into a 'premium economy' not by making something better, like LH is doing with their premium economy, but by making the rest of Y worse.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Sorry, left out the intermediate step that UA is making E+ into a 'premium economy' not by making something better, like LH is doing with their premium economy, but by making the rest of Y worse.
well i for one am not surprised, are you?

you can bet they'll be CR700 style slimlines too.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I don't have a huge problem with this if there really are going to be 98ish seats in E+ that will remain 9 across.
I remain skeptical that UA will stick with 9-across in E+. Even if they do, expect a significant reduction in cabin size. AA for example only has 36 MCE on the 77W and 45 initially (moving to 48 in second-wave and final reconfigs) on the 772.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gengar
I remain skeptical that UA will stick with 9-across in E+. Even if they do, expect a significant reduction in cabin size. AA for example only has 36 MCE on the 77W and 45 initially (moving to 48 in second-wave and final reconfigs) on the 772.
unfortunately i have to agree with you on this since the E+ cabin sizes on UA dwarf those for comparable products on both AA and DL
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
unfortunately i have to agree with you on this since the E+ cabin sizes on UA dwarf those for comparable products on both AA and DL
And on most of these wide bodies, either E+ goes out with lots of open middle seats (which I have no complaint about when one of them is next to me on the aisle), or else regular economy is overbooked and agents infill E+ with those passengers. This indicates that there are too many E+ seats on each flight and this "cabin" can be reduced by maybe 20%-30%. UA knows the numbers and is adjusting cabins accordingly to make more money...that's what the business is all about.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

As a UA flyer based in GUM this would be received well for those who fly in the premium cabins. It would be nice to have lie flat seats between GUM and HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.