Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Saver Sale - UA partner awards pricing as UA award [Promo Has Ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saver Sale - UA partner awards pricing as UA award [Promo Has Ended]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This is noted in the "award sale thread" pretty well. I'd go through there for some of the experiences and some YMMV moments.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Auracon
Hi All-

I booked a *A business class award on AC, SEA-YYZ-ZRH, using UA miles when they did the sale thing a few months back. Paid 57,500 for each seat instead of the 70,000 normally required for a J award on *A.

If I change the departing date, carrier, or routing - Will this incur cancelling this whole award and having to rebook, causing miles needed to be 70K?

I'm curious to know because a few weeks back, I considered going slightly earlier on SEA-YYZ that technically departed a day early with I class finally coming open (I was booked in X on the original leg due to availability) on the first leg only, and the GS agent said the system wasn't asking her to charge more miles even though it was departing late night the day before. I wonder if that's because it was a simple leg change or if it's actually a ticket-for-ticket exchange situation for all cases for saver awards.

Thought I'd ask before I go spend hours hunting for I availability between now and depart date next month.
as long as it is < 24 hrs in YYZ it doesn't matter really on which day you deart. You are keeping the route which should be the best possible scenario. There is no risk in calling and asking for the new flights; if they want more miles then tell them you don't want it.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
I booked an one-way award to HKG on AC @ 70000 miles back in Feb at their promo rate.

I want to change the date and mileageplus wants to charge me an extra 10000miles. (80000 miles, the regular rate)

Same flights, different day.

can this be done without paying any more miles? how? thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by schnitzer
I booked an one-way award to HKG on AC @ 70000 miles back in Feb at their promo rate.

I want to change the date and mileageplus wants to charge me an extra 10000miles. (80000 miles, the regular rate)

Same flights, different day.

can this be done without paying any more miles? how? thanks!
Call in, HUACA if necessary, as stated upthread. The fact that you're not changing carriers or flights but merely dates should work in your favor. Ultimately, though, you're at the mercy of a supervisor who'll make the final determination as to whether to manually re-price the change at the original promotional level.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Aug 11, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Be nice first, if you don't get your way, raise your voice and ask for an supervisor.

Reason with the supervisor, and you'll usually get your way.

Than HUACA if needed.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:46 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I booked a roundtrip award USA-South Asia for 140,000 miles during the partner award sale this past Feb. I called last week to make one change, I decided to change the first transpac leg from Asiana to United. Same routing, same class of service, same date. I knew changing an award booked during the sale is very much a YMMV situation, but I figured I would at least be informed if my change would cost more miles. In fact I was told that since I was switching from a partner to United, I would receive a refund of 10,000 miles. Great! I made the change. When the ticket was re-issued I noticed I was charged 160,000 miles, then received a credit of 10,000 miles a day later. So I've been charged an extra 10,000 miles over the original award, simply for changing one flight from OZ to UA. I find this situation absurd, and my real beef is being told one thing on the phone and the complete opposite happens instead. Of course I would not have made the change if I knew I was going to get docked an extra 10,000 miles - who would?

I've called the Premier desk and am told there isn't anything that can be done and I probably owe even more miles. I've mentioned that I booked during the partner award sale. Is there some magic words I can use or someone I can speak to that can get me my 10,000 mile back?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aau
I've called the Premier desk and am told there isn't anything that can be done and I probably owe even more miles. I've mentioned that I booked during the partner award sale. Is there some magic words I can use or someone I can speak to that can get me my 10,000 mile back?
Just say the previous agent said she was going to manually reprice your ticket and it ended up taking an hour of your time. However it did not happen and you were charged XXX extra.

See what they say.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by aau
I booked a roundtrip award USA-South Asia for 140,000 miles during the partner award sale this past Feb. I called last week to make one change, I decided to change the first transpac leg from Asiana to United. Same routing, same class of service, same date. I knew changing an award booked during the sale is very much a YMMV situation, but I figured I would at least be informed if my change would cost more miles. In fact I was told that since I was switching from a partner to United, I would receive a refund of 10,000 miles. Great! I made the change. When the ticket was re-issued I noticed I was charged 160,000 miles, then received a credit of 10,000 miles a day later. So I've been charged an extra 10,000 miles over the original award, simply for changing one flight from OZ to UA. I find this situation absurd, and my real beef is being told one thing on the phone and the complete opposite happens instead. Of course I would not have made the change if I knew I was going to get docked an extra 10,000 miles - who would?

I would try one more time and talk to a supervisor. But why did you change? Your business, but you said you would not have if you knew it was 10,000 miles. OZ product in biz much better then UA.

Last edited by Asiatraveler15; Nov 17, 2015 at 6:25 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:53 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
I would try one more time and talk to a supervisor. But why did you change? Your business, but you said you would not have if you knew it was 10,000 miles. OZ product in biz much better then UA.
Ha! I knew someone would ask that question. I switched so I could be be on a flight with Wifi so I could follow some football games. Of course I regret trying to change the ticket.

I just spent 90 minutes on the phone, talking to various "supervisors" and ultimately being denied yet again. This time the excuse being since I changed the first flight, that mandates a re-pricing to current levels. I was even told some people want to pay more miles to fly United, and if I still want to dispute this I should contact MP CS. Okay.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by aau
Ha! I knew someone would ask that question. I switched so I could be be on a flight with Wifi so I could follow some football games. Of course I regret trying to change the ticket.

I just spent 90 minutes on the phone, talking to various "supervisors" and ultimately being denied yet again. This time the excuse being since I changed the first flight, that mandates a re-pricing to current levels. I was even told some people want to pay more miles to fly United, and if I still want to dispute this I should contact MP CS. Okay.
So your Fantasy football motivated you?

Anyway, I know it is the principle but 10,000 miles is cost of $190.
Not the end of the world.
Give it a shot with CS and see what happens.
Otherwise, just enjoy the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.