Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA refuses to extend GPU's that were to be used on cancelled flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold

I have 3 GPU's that were supposed to be used on flights that were canceled this week due to weather. The flights were rebooked for next week, but UA MP says tough!

The wise men at UA have a strict no extension policy for us lowly wretched customers who have not re qualified for 1K.

Policies like this are what make United Airlines rank so low in customer service. What a waste.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Call again.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That really stinks. I'd call back and ask again.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:41 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I sympathize with your frustration, but this is the policy. The long Flyertalk thread about GPU extensions makes it clear that extensions are (1) an unpublished courtesy-only benefit, and (2) strictly limited to those who have requalified for 1K. And this is an extension -- regardless of the reason why the GPU wasn't used before 1/31.

I agree with mgcsinc that it makes sense to call and try again, but if it were me I'd make it clear that I was pleading for an exception rather than demanding an entitlement.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by QBK
I agree with mgcsinc that it makes sense to call and try again, but if it were me I'd make it clear that I was pleading for an exception rather than demanding an entitlement.
Talk about a non-sequitur; where did OP indicate the initial request was framed as an entitlement??? I very much doubt that was the case based on OP's prior posts in this forum.

If the flight was cancelled by UA and OP rescheduled for a week or two later, UA should extend the GPUs. Period.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If the flight was cancelled by UA and OP rescheduled for a week or two later, UA should extend the GPUs. Period.
Indeed. Not to extend then would be totally insane. No one should have to beg for this.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ElieW
I have 3 GPU's that were supposed to be used on flights that were canceled this week due to weather. The flights were rebooked for next week, but UA MP says tough!

The wise men at UA have a strict no extension policy for us lowly wretched customers who have not re qualified for 1K.

Policies like this are what make United Airlines rank so low in customer service. What a waste.
I had a flight in December where one of my GPUs didn't clear.

The GPU was never returned to my account. A month later I sent 1K voice an email asking that it be returned (so I could use it on a domestic flight for my wife). I received

(a) an apology
(b) an extension of said GPU (and a second one that I still had!) for several months.

I think that was fair, if not generous. Especially considering that I am dropping to MM Gold.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:54 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kacee
Talk about a non-sequitur; where did OP indicate the initial request was framed as an entitlement??? I very much doubt that was the case based on OP's prior posts in this forum.

The OP never indicated anything about how the initial request was framed, and I didn't intend to imply anything about it. If anybody felt I was implying anything about the OP's demeanor, then I apologize to the OP.

Since I didn't know anything about how the OP presented his/her case to the UA rep, I offered some implicit advice by saying how I would do it. Since mgcsinc suggested calling back, I don't think that following up with advice on how to call back was a non sequitur. Unsolicited advice, yes -- but this is FT, after all!

(And, since Kacee's response suggests that my tone of voice may be easy to misinterpret, let me say explicitly that I'm not upset or trying to be defensive here -- just trying to clarify my meaning and motivations!)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
They could extend the GPU's, and have no confirmable upgrade space....
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Please call again and...again!!!! I had a set of GPUs expiring and called to have them extended to April 2015...no problem. I had another set which failed to clear three separate roundtrip flights (one international; two domestic). I spoke with an incredible agent and she extended the second set to the end of April as well even though I said I had two already extended. I have an upcoming east-west coast r/t first week in Feb and she understood the frustration and happily extended them. She said she believes in good CS and is something that United really needs to work on in 2015. In this case, luck of the agent.

Keep trying as your situation is certainly in a different league and you should be able to use them!!!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Please call again and...again!!!! I had a set of GPUs expiring and called to have them extended to April 2015...no problem. I had another set which failed to clear three separate roundtrip flights (one international; two domestic). I spoke with an incredible agent and she extended the second set to the end of April as well even though I said I had two already extended. I have an upcoming east-west coast r/t first week in Feb and she understood the frustration and happily extended them. She said she believes in good CS and is something that United really needs to work on in 2015. In this case, luck of the agent.

Keep trying as your situation is certainly in a different league and you should be able to use them!!!
Did you re-qualify for 1K? That will make all of the difference.

Originally Posted by QBK
I sympathize with your frustration, but this is the policy. The long Flyertalk thread about GPU extensions makes it clear that extensions are (1) an unpublished courtesy-only benefit, and (2) strictly limited to those who have requalified for 1K. And this is an extension -- regardless of the reason why the GPU wasn't used before 1/31.

I didn't interpret any negativity in your response.

I had a very nice reservation agent who went back and forth between me and someone in MP. She said "They have a very strict policy to not extend GPU's under any circumstance unless the customer has re qualified for 1K. Even if the GPU's could not be used due to weather related changes."

I will try to call again.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I had a flight in December where one of my GPUs didn't clear.

The GPU was never returned to my account. A month later I sent 1K voice an email asking that it be returned (so I could use it on a domestic flight for my wife). I received

(a) an apology
(b) an extension of said GPU (and a second one that I still had!) for several months.

I think that was fair, if not generous. Especially considering that I am dropping to MM Gold.
2 of them have not yet redeposited, maybe that will be my best shot!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: 3x merge
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ElieW
2 of them have not yet redeposited, maybe that will be my best shot!
Send a polite matter-of-factly message asking them to look into the missing GPUs (note: I did not ask for any extension, just that what is rightfully mine be returned). No guarantee that your result will be the same as mine, as it likely depends a bit on the agent receiving the message.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
UA does have a "policy" no extensions for non-1K's, short extension for 1K's.

You don't deserve an extension. If they give it to you be grateful. If not, understand.
I do agree it is bad luck.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by zebranz
UA does have a "policy" no extensions for non-1K's, short extension for 1K's.

You don't deserve an extension. If they give it to you be grateful. If not, understand.
I do agree it is bad luck.
How absurd. This person absolutely "deserves" an extension.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Yes just made the 1K cut. I apologize if mentioned, but did the instruments clear prior to the flights being axed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.