Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA refuses to extend GPU's that were to be used on cancelled flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA refuses to extend GPU's that were to be used on cancelled flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Yes just made the 1K cut. I apologize if mentioned, but did the instruments clear prior to the flights being axed?
No it did not clear. The flight was cancelled a full 48 hours before departure time. No way to know if it would have cleared or not.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This is a definite case of an opportunity to do something that costs United nothing and would make a customer happy.

Hopefully this isn't an opportunity United misses.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ElieW
No it did not clear. The flight was cancelled a full 48 hours before departure time. No way to know if it would have cleared or not.
Perhaps if it had cleared, they would have rebooked you directly into J. It gets more complicated in this circumstance, but they should certainly extend. I mean you already have an intl flight lined up. I'd keep calling and/or send an email to 1kvoice. maybe ask UAInsider?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Not a GPU, but I had an RPU that cleared for a flight that canceled on the 26th. I subsequently got it changed to a US flight that was operating at the same time. I was booked in Y. Agent told me the RPU should redeposit. It hasn't yet, and the RPU expires on 1/31.

If I call it into MP now, how long should they give an extension on the RPU for? (if any)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I also had a cancelled flight and had to ask for the GPU to be redeposited, then when I tried to apply to the new flight in Feb it didnt apply. Called UA and the response was that I am out of luck as I am dropping to Silver. Ah well... Atleast I got good E+ seats for next week but after that I will sneak in middle seats.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Originally Posted by zebranz
UA does have a "policy" no extensions for non-1K's, short extension for 1K's.

You don't deserve an extension. If they give it to you be grateful. If not, understand.
I do agree it is bad luck.
How absurd. This person absolutely "deserves" an extension.
Is this any different where a 1k makes a reservation & selects E+ only to find an equipment change after a status change to silver resulting in E-? I would imagine a call or HUCA
would resolve that issue just as I would hope the same will eventually be true here.

RE the venerable Kacee & his post, I disagree that I did not see anything negative with another poster making a suggestion on how to frame the issue
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
UA does have a "policy" no extensions for non-1K's, short extension for 1K's.

You don't deserve an extension. If they give it to you be grateful. If not, understand.
I do agree it is bad luck.
The flights were cancelled for reasons out of the OP's control. UA should extend the GPUs; the OP "deserves" that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by QBK
The OP never indicated anything about how the initial request was framed, and I didn't intend to imply anything about it. If anybody felt I was implying anything about the OP's demeanor, then I apologize to the OP.
Fair enough. My apologies for misreading your remark.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
This story is the main reason I will never fly United.

Point 1. You would think that United might realize that by extending the use of the GPU to a former 1K, that courtesy might, just might, entice this individual to stay loyal to United.

Point 2. The flight was cancelled due to weather. Fine that United's policy is what it is but its a very unfriendly policy. I just had Delta redeposit a GUC into my account when I cancelled that particular flight on my own and used miles to get home on an earlier flight. So, which airline has your back?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Talk about a non-sequitur; where did OP indicate the initial request was framed as an entitlement??? I very much doubt that was the case based on OP's prior posts in this forum.

If the flight was cancelled by UA and OP rescheduled for a week or two later, UA should extend the GPUs. Period.
I have gotten them extended in similar situations (was MX, so really UAs fault). It took a lot of effort and they gave me 2 months to use them
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by exerda
The flights were cancelled for reasons out of the OP's control. UA should extend the GPUs; the OP "deserves" that.
The reasons for cancellation where also out of UAs control:
Originally Posted by ElieW
I have 3 GPU's that were supposed to be used on flights that were canceled this week due to weather
Of course though this is an opportunity to sneak an extension. I do not know the route involved but I wonder what really was the probability of the GPUs clearing in the first place - probably not great if not cleared by t-48 and if all 3 are linked in same cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Point 2. The flight was cancelled due to weather. Fine that United's policy is what it is but its a very unfriendly policy. I just had Delta redeposit a GUC into my account when I cancelled that particular flight on my own and used miles to get home on an earlier flight. So, which airline has your back?
You completely missed the point -- UA would redeposit the GPU from a weather cancel or a passenger-initiated cancel too.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
has anyone who _DID NOT_ qualify as 1k for following year had their GPU extended?
I am in the same boat, GPU returned due to Juno. I tried - pretty much knowing it was fruitless and got a polite denial.
But it seems to me this is not an "exception" matter, but an IT system limitation. Unless someone answers "yes" to the question in first sentence - its my understanding that UA system is simply not setup to allow a GPU (1K instrument) to be placed/used by Silver/Gold/Plat. Its database/app hard check - and its the way I would have coded it myself.
Not sure why people are surprised.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dsauch
has anyone who _DID NOT_ qualify as 1k for following year had their GPU extended?
Yes.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
How absurd. This person absolutely "deserves" an extension.
I agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.