Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is There a Required Dress Code for United Passengers? {Yes for Non-Revs}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

I was in (stuck in) LAS this past week. When I was at the gate waiting, I saw a girl with a pretty short skirt go to the GA and talk to her pointing at the adjacent gate that was in the boarding process. It sounded like she was denied boarding because her skirt was too short. Is there a dress code? I only heard bits and pieces. (GA: "Do you have other clothes?" Girl: "where can I change?", "not enough time"). As they were talking, I could see the girl pulling her skirt down to maybe a 2in about the knee. Maybe the skirt was riding up a little because she was sitting. So I dont think the actual length was much worse than what the FAs wear.

She was dressed much better than some people I saw on fremont st
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:20 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There is one for nonrevs.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I was in (stuck in) LAS this past week. When I was at the gate waiting, I saw a girl with a pretty short skirt go to the GA and talk to her pointing at the adjacent gate that was in the boarding process. It sounded like she was denied boarding because her skirt was too short. Is there a dress code? I only heard bits and pieces. (GA: "Do you have other clothes?" Girl: "where can I change?", "not enough time"). As they were talking, I could see the girl pulling her skirt down to maybe a 2in about the knee. Maybe the skirt was riding up a little because she was sitting. So I dont think the actual length was much worse than what the FAs wear.

She might have been an employee or employee buddy pass rider. The company has dress requirements for us. One of the differences of the merger is that the dress code for employees and pass riders is the dress code being relaxed quite a bit from PMUA requirements.

Men needed to have slacks, polished shoes, a button-down shirt and tie, or a sport coat. If a pilot is riding as a jump seater in the cockpit, it is still that way.

Twice in my tenure as a captain have I ever called a passenger on their attire. Both were for offensive language written on their clothing.

FAB
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Well, she was by herself, "looked like a tourist", so I would think she wasnt an employee or buddy. but who knows.

I assume there must be limits to dress code for regular flyers. What if you show up in a bikini? although in the safety video, they have just that.

I'm curious, what happened in the two instances where you were called for offensive language on clothing? I would think that subject could get complicated with 1st amendment issues. Although, I'm not clear on the exact law since United is a private company yet there are still govt laws that apply to flying
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
thread is worthless without pictures
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, she was by herself, "looked like a tourist", so I would think she wasnt an employee or buddy. but who knows.

I assume there must be limits to dress code for regular flyers. What if you show up in a bikini? although in the safety video, they have just that.

I'm curious, what happened in the two instances where you were called for offensive language on clothing? I would think that subject could get complicated with 1st amendment issues. Although, I'm not clear on the exact law since United is a private company yet there are still govt laws that apply to flying
This sounds like a buddy pass traveler who wasn't listening when the sponsoring employee informed them of the dress code for pass travelers. It does happen.

The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with private interactions, it is a prohibition on government actions. The simplest thing to do would be to turn the offending shirt (I assume it was a shirt) inside out and hopefully they would be allowed to board. Or any nearby airport shop that sold shirts could be another quick solution.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:58 am

I saw a very large man wearing a torn up white sleeveless shirt on IAH-SFO... sitting in F. I saw more skin and body hair than I ever wanted...

No one said a thing (although FAs were a bit too happy since a few of them were retiring and was their last day working). I so wanted to take a picture without being obvious but wasn't successful.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:58 am

I'm thinking she was a non rev. Some gate agents enforce the dress code and others in my experience do not. Gate agents at OGG seem to follow policy: once I was granted a seat over another non rev because he was wearing flip flops which is a big no-no.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cargojon
thread is worthless without pictures
I like the way you think.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
The non-rev dress code is silly because people wearing ill-fitting formal-ish clothes they're not used to based on a 1980s idea of business casual dress are affirmatively ugly, and I'd rather they just wear a clean, presentable version of their normal clothing. I don't see any reason for a non-rev to look like a 17 year-old kid in court trying to beat a speeding ticket.

Nonetheless, though silly, the dress code is part of what non-revs agree to in order to travel for free/cheap, and like other no-nos (e.g., demanding a seat swap), they should respect it to the extent it is normally enforced.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:29 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent

I was denied my BP once for trying to wear shorts on a flight - I needed to change to pants before they would give it to me - but this was a flight to Riyadh so a little different

In the US I have never seen an FA try to enforce a dress code however. These days I think most people on the plane would not pass that test
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: *G
for non-rev yes there are

for rev i dont believe there is an official code, but there have been various news stories over last few years of those denied boarding for provocative dress
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, this sounds very much of a non=rev /buddy pass situation.

Originally Posted by Stephenk19
... In the US I have never seen an FA try to enforce a dress code however. ....
Best then to avoid WN, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-fly-zone.html
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
My money is on buddy pass rider.

Good on the GA for actually enforcing the rules .

The rules now are quite relaxed, but not quite to the level of wear whatever you want and walk in the door.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:59 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, this sounds very much of a non=rev /buddy pass situation.

Best then to avoid WN, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-fly-zone.html
That might actually make me try WN lol. I get wanting to be comfortable for the flight, but some of the dress I see....wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.