Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is There a Required Dress Code for United Passengers? {Yes for Non-Revs}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is There a Required Dress Code for United Passengers? {Yes for Non-Revs}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by planemechanic
This sounds like a buddy pass traveler who wasn't listening when the sponsoring employee informed them of the dress code for pass travelers. It does happen.
I muss mis-understand "buddy pass". I thought that meant that an employee can bring along a companion for free. But it sounds like, its a free pass you can give to one of your buddies to fly by them self.

Originally Posted by Cargojon
thread is worthless without pictures
eventhough the girl was wearing a short skirt, It did not "fit" very well (if you catch my drift) and I would not have wanted to take a photo or even remember seeing it.
I don't think I want to get in trouble and or kicked out for taking a photo of a girl (or employee or buddy) eventhough my flight was cancelled anyways
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Then there was the time...

UA pilot "Jack" (not his real name) was denied boarding ongoing from LAX by gate agents at NRT because the white denims "Jack" (not his real name) was wearing did not conform to dress code. Evidently, departing LAX the agents didn't care/notice "Jack" (not his real name)'s faux pas.
Encountering Jack at the gate, as he was tearing through his suitcase, my boss loaned him his brand new Dockers on the spot. Jack then changed into the required haberdashery in a BIG hurry, boarded with us in business, changed back into the offending pants in the lav upstairs, and side-passed the just-loaned pants back to my boss.
A case of "flying by the seat of (some)one (else's) pants."
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What's the deal with crew?
On my MUC-EWR flight on Wednesday about 7 crew (I'm assuming they were marooned because of the Tues weather) had a guy who seemed to be the ring leader in shirt and tie, two women casual, one male casual and 2 gents in white s/s shirts with gold piping.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Well, she was by herself, "looked like a tourist", so I would think she wasnt an employee or buddy. but who knows.

I assume there must be limits to dress code for regular flyers. What if you show up in a bikini? although in the safety video, they have just that.

I'm curious, what happened in the two instances where you were called for offensive language on clothing? I would think that subject could get complicated with 1st amendment issues. Although, I'm not clear on the exact law since United is a private company yet there are still govt laws that apply to flying
I’m assuming you’re addressing the two instances I referred to being called on attire. I was not called on it; I called the two offenders on it. One was in a boarding area and the guy was wearing a denim jacket that he’d written “F___ Everyone” on the back with some sort of fabric embroidery. I went to him and told him that I would not allow that writing to be seen on the airplane, by anyone; passengers, FAs, or me. I got a little stink-eye from him, but he complied.

The other one was a guy with a button on his coat that said “F___ ‘something-or-other’ ”. I happened to be standing at Door 2L (757) and stopped him and told him to take it off and keep it off while on the plane. He questioned me, and I then told him to either take it off or I’d take him off.

In contrast, I have removed passengers that have used offensive language while boarding. The last thing one wants to do is tell the captain to F___ Off. That's an easy decision for me; what's Off is the passenger.

FAB

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The non-rev dress code is silly because people wearing ill-fitting formal-ish clothes they're not used to based on a 1980s idea of business casual dress are affirmatively ugly, and I'd rather they just wear a clean, presentable version of their normal clothing. I don't see any reason for a non-rev to look like a 17 year-old kid in court trying to beat a speeding ticket.

Nonetheless, though silly, the dress code is part of what non-revs agree to in order to travel for free/cheap, and like other no-nos (e.g., demanding a seat swap), they should respect it to the extent it is normally enforced.
I’m curious as to how you characterize non-revs’ dress habits. That's as ambiguous as saying that I can pick out certain passengers based on their "status". Actually, that's not that hard to do. Refer to the DYKWIA threads.

When I ride as an employee not on work status, I am indistinguishable, purposely. I dress like most others. The only distinguishable thing about me might be that I don’t bother the FAs for anything. We don’t travel free, though. That’s a common misnomer. Employees travel with no additional money taken from their paychecks beyond what all employees give up initially for the privilege. Pass riders initiate a deduction from the paycheck of the sponsoring employee.

FAB

I muss mis-understand "buddy pass". I thought that meant that an employee can bring along a companion for free. But it sounds like, its a free pass you can give to one of your buddies to fly by them self.

eventhough the girl was wearing a short skirt, It did not "fit" very well (if you catch my drift) and I would not have wanted to take a photo or even remember seeing it.
I don't think I want to get in trouble and or kicked out for taking a photo of a girl (or employee or buddy) eventhough my flight was cancelled anyways
A “buddy pass” is a discounted ride, and is purely on a space-available basis. Even though they may be traveling with an employee, they still ride (or not) based on the availability of open seats after all revenue passengers. People whom employees have given buddy passes can also travel alone, but they are on a lower boarding priority that if they travel with the employee. All non-working employees other than some management ride space-available (or not, given the nature of space-availability). When my wife and I fly, we buy tickets, often on other carriers.

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2015 at 3:31 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
I was denied my BP once for trying to wear shorts on a flight - I needed to change to pants before they would give it to me - but this was a flight to Riyadh so a little different
Hmm, thats an interesting point. I'm flying to DXB next week. Since its RELATIVELY warm there, I had planned on wearing shorts. Maybe I'll need to rethink that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

A question was asked and answered but the topic here is dress code for flights (likely pertaining to a buddy pass or other non-rev travel) and being refused boarding by GA. Discussions about PIC's authority should be continued elsewhere.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G

I assume there must be limits to dress code for regular flyers. What if you show up in a bikini? although in the safety video, they have just that.
Due to various reasons (lost bets with co-workers or traveling on Halloween for a party)
I've flown in paid F wearing (among the highlights)
-A pedobear onsie (flying back from a culture convention)
-A chicken suit (lost bet)
-This outfit http://www.thatanimeblog.com/wp-cont...yandere-07.jpg (culture convention + lost bet)
-Full chain mail armor set (Monty python themed Halloween party)

A few times I've been asked why I'm wearing what I'm wearing, but never been denied boarding or to fly
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 pm

The anime blog took me to a very NSFW cartoon sex site FYI.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
-Full chain mail armor set (Monty python themed Halloween party)

A few times I've been asked why I'm wearing what I'm wearing, but never been denied boarding or to fly
That must have been fun going through the X-Ray machine wearing full chain mail armor.

My bet is it was a buddy pass rider, or a jealous agent.

Fremont Street in LAS is the Crown Jewel of our "fair" city. Kidding. I wish I had some recent photos to share. Crazy.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The anime blog took me to a very NSFW cartoon sex site FYI.
Sorry.... pic was found using google image search...

Originally Posted by kettle1
That must have been fun going through the X-Ray machine wearing full chain mail armor.
TSA: "Sir your entire outfit is setting off the machine... can you remove it?"
ME: "This is my inner most garmet, I'm not removing it"
TSA "ok.... Doesnt that hurt?
Me: "no, the chainmail is woven into the cloth liner"
TSA Does a pat down muttering something about "whats the point of this if I cant feel anything"

Last edited by goalie; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:26 pm Reason: Adding extra post + responce fixed bb code
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Sorry.... pic was found using google image search...
Hey I wasn't complaining just trying to alert the fellow FTers.
Re: Chain mail, I've shot (camera) in that before and it is pretty damn heavy. I am surprised they didn't say you could use it as mace/flail slinging it about over your head. I always worry when I bring my small/light light stands that they'll say I can use it as a spear.

Took this in 2012 flying Montego Bay to Newark.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:37 pm Reason: Removed off topic response and quoted post related to the o/t respons
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I flew NRT-ICN. A nonrev was wearing lulu lemon tights and a t-shirt. I thought that was underdressing, not that I care. What annoyed me was she and her friend stood at the front of the BG1 lane, had plenty of carryon, and asked the crew once onboard about the jump seat situation for the return. Incidentally, the last person to board from F had some trouble finding room for his suitcase in the overhead.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:55 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Hmm, thats an interesting point. I'm flying to DXB next week. Since its RELATIVELY warm there, I had planned on wearing shorts. Maybe I'll need to rethink that.
You should be fine wearing shorts I believe - I was denied my BP as was heading to Saudi Arabia which is not a fan of the shorts Unless you are flying to / from one of these countries I think shorts are OK to wear.

It was interesting to me as they gave out BPs to women even though they were not dressed with a burkha - they put this on during the plane ride so when they landed they were dressed "correctly".
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:01 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Hey I wasn't complaining just trying to alert the fellow FTers.
Re: Chain mail, I've shot (camera) in that before and it is pretty damn heavy. I am surprised they didn't say you could use it as mace/flail slinging it about over your head. I always worry when I bring my small/light light stands that they'll say I can use it as a spear.

Took this in 2012 flying Montego Bay to Newark.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2aq71v.jpg
That picture reminds me of something I once saw going to MB (from Charlotte) as well. That was one flight that really stood out for poor dress as well as being a flight which was a general "amateur hour" in many ways, ex. FA needing to announce to PAX over the intercom to please close bathroom doors after leaving, PAX trying to give filled out Jamaica immigration cards to FAs, etc. Provided some entertainment at least.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 30, 2015 at 6:10 am Reason: image removal
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by dcutcher
UA pilot "Jack" (not his real name) was denied boarding ongoing from LAX by gate agents at NRT because the white denims "Jack" (not his real name) was wearing did not conform to dress code. Evidently, departing LAX the agents didn't care/notice "Jack" (not his real name)'s faux pas.
Encountering Jack at the gate, as he was tearing through his suitcase, my boss loaned him his brand new Dockers on the spot. Jack then changed into the required haberdashery in a BIG hurry, boarded with us in business, changed back into the offending pants in the lav upstairs, and side-passed the just-loaned pants back to my boss.
A case of "flying by the seat of (some)one (else's) pants."
^^^

Well struck, Madam/Sir !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.