Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What if I don't want wine (why is it so hard to get a non-wine beverage in F)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec

Why is it so hard to get a non-wine beverage in F?
If I order beer it's like pulling teeth to get another one.
If I order sparkling water...well I might as well forget asking for more.
But, if I order wine? "Care for another glass, sir?" is sung through the aisle like a chorus.

I've noticed this for the last 5 years (at least).
The latest one (prompting me to post this) was my request for sparkling water. The gentleman next me to received no fewer than 5 glasses of wine, yet I had to beg for three refills of sparkling water. The second one garnered me a nasty look from the FA.

What gives, United?

(I'm not sure if this has been discussed before--I tried to search, but searching for "F" and "wine" is not recommended.)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 2015 at 4:37 am Reason: formatting clean up
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
They walk around with wine bottles, not vodka minis. Which makes perfect sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about about not being able to get other beverages.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You're in F, and you can get whatever you want to drink.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:50 pm Reason: Removed CO trolling comments
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fastfxr
But, if I order wine? "Care for another glass, sir?" is sung through the aisle like a chorus.

The latest one (prompting me to post this) was my request for sparkling water. The gentleman next me to received no fewer than 5 glasses of wine, yet I had to beg for three refills of sparkling water. The second one garnered me a nasty look from the FA.

What gives, United?
I drink Diet Coke. The FA is constantly refilling, even when I don't ask.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
and you can get whatever you want to drink.
Unless you want potable wine, or potable coffee.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.

What gives, United?

(I'm not sure if this has been discussed before--I tried to search, but searching for "F" and "wine" is not recommended.)
i dunno, i've been on p.s. flights 3 times in the last week in BF (i just landed JFK-SFO two hours ago), and i've only been drinking black tea and sparkling water. as much as i like to hate on the airline, they've been spot on in making sure my glass is full. in as far as i can remember, both on UA, pmUA, pmCO, i don't think i've ever had issues with drink refills. i've had tons of service issues on other stuff, but drinks have always been full for me. and i like to drink.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll probably get more hits searching for "F" and "whine" in the United forum.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
Unless you want potable wine, or potable coffee.
This, x1000!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you don't want wine, fly United. They don't serve wine.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I have no idea what you're talking about about not being able to get other beverages.

Folks...it's called situational awareness.
I fly alot and notice it.
Maybe I should narrow it down to window seats. :shaking:
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I agree that in general wine refills are most common
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by kale73
You'll probably get more hits searching for "F" and "whine" in the United forum.
POTW.

(Post of the Week)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
Originally Posted by boat9781
I agree that in general wine refills are most common
I certainly agree too. Wine, in my observation, is perhaps the most popular alcoholic choice, and I think that once a bottle is open it will be wasted at the end of the flight if not consumed (as opposed to soda cans or liquor minis), so the FAs have an additional reason to bring it around. I'm only too happy to do my part to prevent waste.

I sometimes drink wine and sometimes other beverages and have never had trouble getting refills of either. I occasionally have to wait while an FA taking a bottle of wine through the cabin filters through everyone before that FA brings me a different beverage. I think that's reasonable, but YMMV. I can understand being bummed that one beverage is being offered often but a prickly crew doesn't want to bring another, and I think it's too bad if OP has experienced this regularly.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:22 pm

What if I don't want wine??

I typically don't have a problem & I drink nearly exclusively water & hot water. the only time I have issues is when the FA is vastly inferior & then everything is substandard.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree with the other poster who said, walking down the aisle with "mini's" would be poor form as opposed to a bottle of wine.

With that said - I often am handed an extra mini rum to go with my can of Diet Coke and appreciate the self serve. I liken it to On Demand cable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.