Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Link to NRT Terminal Map available here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/airpo...irportCode=NRT

Given the slow travel recovery for Japan, the ANA/NH lounges are on reduced hours and the NRT UC is closed. As travel recovery progress, there should be some expended access

* Gold Lounges

ANA Lounge Terminal 1 2nd Floor, #4 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Noodle "bar"; sake bar; automated beer machines; overall better food than UA Club; showers with Shiseido amenities (foil packets). Sushi from 5-6pm.*
Cons: In lower level and has no windows; somewhat cramped, especially during peak hours (but not as bad as the UC); a short walk to UA gates.

ANA Lounge Terminal 1, 3rd Level, #5 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Noodle "bar"; sake bar; automated beer machines; open, spacious areas with views of gates and runway; showers with Shiseido amenities (foil packets). Sushi from 3:30-4:30pm.*
Cons: Fairly distant from UA gates.

United Club Terminal 1, 3rd Level, #3 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Adjacent to UA gates and transfer desk; showers; view of runway.
Cons: UA club level amenities; incredibly crowded in the afternoon prior to the bank of U.S. departures; noisy floor; often over-heated; furniture in disrepair.

See posts 171-173 for photos

*ANA in July announced some improvements, including a sushi chef in each of their lounges for an hour: https://www.ana.co.jp/ana_news/en/20...0160720-1.html

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Terminal 1 houses both Star Alliance and Skyteam airlines.

While it is a bit of a hike, you can walk between the South Wing (*A) and North Wing (ST) while airside.
roberto.triviani likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you all.

My companion is in the ST wing. It's good to know it's possible to walk in between. I was worried we would have to go through security again.
We'll see if it's worth the trouble given distance / time.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
First time through Narita in a couple of years. Landed at gate 53 and went straight to the NH lounge. Had udon then tried for a shower . . . 1 hour wait. So headed over to the UC. Haven't been in this lounge since they updated it. Much, much better, and no wait for a shower. Sushi is pretty good, and the A/C is better than the NH lounge, too.

Used to be I would automatically recommend NH lounges over UC at NRT. Now I think it's a close call, and arguably a UA win.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
First time through Narita in a couple of years. Landed at gate 53 and went straight to the NH lounge. Had udon then tried for a shower . . . 1 hour wait. So headed over to the UC. Haven't been in this lounge since they updated it. Much, much better, and no wait for a shower. Sushi is pretty good, and the A/C is better than the NH lounge, too.

Used to be I would automatically recommend NH lounges over UC at NRT. Now I think it's a close call, and arguably a UA win.
Also first time through Narita in a few years, (about 5 yrs). This was my first time originating at NRT, due to train mixups, I arrived at the airport about 60min prior to the boarding time. I managed to squeeze in the 50's NH lounge and the UA lounge. Took 10 min for checkin, security, customs. The NH lounge was the same as I remembered it, thought the noodle bar area seemed a little different. I read in this thread about UA upping their game in the food department, someone mentioning fired rice and spring rolls so I just had to see. so after 10min at the NH lounge and burning my mouth no the noodles, I ran over the the UA lounge. I was disappointed to find it was pretty much the same as I remembered it before foodwise). I still had 30min to boarding so I figured I'd squeeze in a shower. (I originally was going to give it up for food). I got put on the waiting list and didn't get called til less than 10min before boarding. Showered in record time and got out. I did appreciate the AC device in there. They did have little bottles of soap/shampoo/etc vs tear packets. The other thing, I didn't find the UA lounge very relaxing noise-wise. The grooved flooring it loud. I was in a hurry so my rollaboard sounded like a highway toll booth approach. It seemed to amplify the sound of the carts with dishing moving around. Reminded me of an old fashion dim sum restaurant.

So to summarize, for food, I'd still goto NH. Then check out UA if there's time.
For showers, the ANA shower (5yrs ago) seemed cleaner than the UA lounge one. I don't really remember an issue with it being hot in there.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by eng3
Also first time through Narita in a few years, (about 5 yrs). This was my first time originating at NRT, due to train mixups, I arrived at the airport about 60min prior to the boarding time. I managed to squeeze in the 50's NH lounge and the UA lounge. Took 10 min for checkin, security, customs. The NH lounge was the same as I remembered it, thought the noodle bar area seemed a little different. I read in this thread about UA upping their game in the food department, someone mentioning fired rice and spring rolls so I just had to see. so after 10min at the NH lounge and burning my mouth no the noodles, I ran over the the UA lounge. I was disappointed to find it was pretty much the same as I remembered it before foodwise). I still had 30min to boarding so I figured I'd squeeze in a shower. (I originally was going to give it up for food). I got put on the waiting list and didn't get called til less than 10min before boarding. Showered in record time and got out. I did appreciate the AC device in there. They did have little bottles of soap/shampoo/etc vs tear packets. The other thing, I didn't find the UA lounge very relaxing noise-wise. The grooved flooring it loud. I was in a hurry so my rollaboard sounded like a highway toll booth approach. It seemed to amplify the sound of the carts with dishing moving around. Reminded me of an old fashion dim sum restaurant.

So to summarize, for food, I'd still goto NH. Then check out UA if there's time.
For showers, the ANA shower (5yrs ago) seemed cleaner than the UA lounge one. I don't really remember an issue with it being hot in there.
Pretty sure the units inside the shower rooms in the United Club are actually just fans...though nice one. Makes a big difference. Without them, it was consistently uncomfortable in the room.

And totally agree on the noisy flooring. Those grooved tiles were a bad idea.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And totally agree on the noisy flooring.
Although IMO the constant boarding announces in NH lounges are worse.

I'm not sure which lounge is more overrated - NH at NRT, or SKL at SIN.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Although IMO the constant boarding announces in NH lounges are worse.

I'm not sure which lounge is more overrated - NH at NRT, or SKL at SIN.
Have to agree with that. Actually, overall I find NH over-rated in most aspects. I did find their economy service on the BKK <->NRT route with 777 (9-across) was actually pretty impressive.

In the NRT United Club, you can minimize the floor noise by sitting deep in the seating areas, away from the hallways.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had 3 hours at NRT yesterday and following the advice on this thread decided to hit two lounges

- ANA Satellite 5: There were almost no seats available near the windows. Also, the Wifi was completely useless in this area. Eventually I moved to the seating away from the windows which was quieter and emptier and I was able to use the terminal wifi. I find having to use terminal wifi in a lounge an insult. Bathrooms were nice here and service was good. They had a Santory whisky which I was happy about. I was there for sushi and it was quite good.

Normal all day sushi

Chef sushi

- United Club: When I got over there at 5 PM it was virtually deserted. I was surprised by how large and comfortable a lounge it was. They also had spicy chicken wings which were really good

Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes that's very manageable assuming inbound is on time. Checked bags don't matter.
Only question is whether it's enough time to swing by the ANA lounge for a beer and bowl of ramen!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Only question is whether it's enough time to swing by the ANA lounge for a beer and bowl of ramen!
It is, but you have to choose the noodle bar or shower. It's hard to do both, but not impossible.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
It is, but you have to choose the noodle bar or shower. It's hard to do both, but not impossible.
In my recent experience, UC is better for a shower during the afternoon arrival bank. Last two times I tried NH lounges, there was a lengthy wait.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Is there an additional United lounge at NRT. i.e. one that provides premium service and food similar to what one experiences in the United Hong Kong lounge? Did I even go to the right lounge? (The lounge I experienced was near Gate 31). It was a disappointing experience and resembled more of a domestic lounge in an economically deprived 2nd tier airport than one on a premium route. There were literally hordes of loud, ill mannered customers in there who swarmed the food areas devouring anything that was put down and leaving a trail of debris and filth. The catering staff looked overwhelmed and discouraged.
I first had a look in the main area, and there was nothing to eat, except for a depressing resemblance to Chef Boyardee institutional type of pasta. There was nowhere to sit except a few seats next a very loud group of drunk chavettes cackling hysterically.

I then went to the other side of the lounge hoping for a place to sit and a nice glass of wine. I found a seat near the window in earshot of two investment analysts discussing their client's confidential project. If I was interested in apparel manufacturing in Cambodia, I would have listened more attentively. After waiting for about 10 minutes, a server brought out a plate of a few salmon canapes and what I think was pastrami. I managed to get to it before some morbidly obese titans of the netherworld inhaled it. I washed it down with a lukewarm glass of something that I don't think came from California.

I had really wanted to sit back, relax and have something to eat, because the catering on my incoming NH flight had been underwhelming and I had passed on the meal, assuming that the United NRT lounge would be as good as HKG. After I had the above plate I departed somewhat disgusted and made my way to the ANA lounge. Although the lounge is ok, it aint the HKG United lounge
I just can't believe that what I experienced was an actual United business class lounge. I keep harping on the Hong Kong experience, but I was expecting something like that, not a visit to a place that was more suitable to the bankrupt United of previous years. I will be using NRT alot more for my transfers which is why I am asking.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I searched the threads to find any mention of the NRT lounge and came up swinging like the 2018 Baltimore Orioles.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The 2 ANA lounges are better IMHO. They can get crowded at times also. Food is better.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:28 pm

I quite like the UC NRT. It's large and well lit and they have 13 showers, so you won't have to wait for a shower like you will in the NH lounges. Staff are friendly and helpful. I also find the sushi quite tasty. I also appreciate that they don't have flight announcements every two minutes, as the NH lounges do.

You will find boorish behavior in airport lounges the world over. That is not limited to the UC NRT, nor is it in my view a legitimate basis for criticizing the lounge itself.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I quite like the UC NRT. It's large and well lit and they have 13 showers, so you won't have to wait for a shower like you will in the NH lounges. Staff are friendly and helpful. I also find the sushi quite tasty. I also appreciate that they don't have flight announcements every two minutes, as the NH lounges do.

You will find boorish behavior in airport lounges the world over. That is not limited to the UC NRT, nor is it in my view a legitimate basis for criticizing the lounge itself.
For UCs, the one at NRT is among the best, although it is crowded before the mid-afternoon bank of flights back to the US. The sushi is passable, and there's more of it than the ANA lounges. That said, I prefer the ANA lounges for the beer machines and noodles, but the UC isn't bad, especially if you're in a pinch for time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.