Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Northeast Winter Storm Waiver 26-28 Jan 2015 and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
Click Here to See the Most Current Version of UA's Travel Waiver

​​26-28 January Waiver Terms

UPDATED TRAVEL WAIVER THROUGH 1-28

Winter Storm Airports Affected:
•Albany, NY (ALB)
•Allentown, PA (ABE)
•Baltimore, MD (BWI)
•Boston, MA (BOS)
•Burlington, VT (BTV)
•Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
•Hartford, CT (BDL)
•Manchester, NH (MHT)
•New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
•New York, NY (JFK)
•New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
•Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
•Portland, ME (PWM)
•Providence, RI (PVD)
•Syracuse, NY (SYR)
•Washington, DC (DCA - National)
•Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
•White Plains, NY (HPN)
•Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)
​ Original Travel Dates:
January 26, 2015 – January 28, 2015

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​ Flight Changes:
•When rescheduled travel commences by January 30, 2015, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
•Travel may be rescheduled in any fare class, same cabin.
•For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

24 January Waiver Terms[Now Expired]

Northeast Winter Storm Airports:
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
New York, NY (JFK)
New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Washington, DC (DCA – National)
Washington, DC (IAD – Dulles)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

Original Travel Dates: January 24, 2015

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by: End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Flight Changes: Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Waiver now in effect.

Last edited by wxguy; Jan 22, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This waiver says original travel dates 24 Jan. Think there's any chance of an agent interpreting this waiver to cover a 23 Jan departure on a late-evening transatlantic flight?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This waiver says original travel dates 24 Jan. Think there's any chance of an agent interpreting this waiver to cover a 23 Jan departure on a late-evening transatlantic flight?
Same here. I just dropped $300 to change a flight (that I needed to change anyway) out the 23rd and back the 25th. Dangit.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Do a SDC from the 23rd to the 24th....
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
that's not same day though, is it?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cargojon
that's not same day though, is it?
Per UA:

The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made and can include any fare class, though you may be required to pay the difference in fare.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
Unfortunately, the 1x/day flight EWR-OSL does not have SDC options.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, the 1x/day flight EWR-OSL does not have SDC options.
Yeah I didn't have an option either on the 1x per day IAD-KWI. Oh well. I'll be calling for sure if they adjust the waiver to include the 23rd or the 25th though.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Does this waiver permit changes within 24-hours regardless of fare class availability? It's not clear.

I'd like to do a SDC from the 23rd to the 24th, so that I could change back to the 23rd and also do a change to the O/D. The only problem is that I have a N-fare class, so the SDC options are not good if it's restricted by fare class availability.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Yeah I didn't have an option either on the 1x per day IAD-KWI. Oh well. I'll be calling for sure if they adjust the waiver to include the 23rd or the 25th though.
regardless of weather, if you're not in BF/GF, i'd switch to saturday's flight 982 if that's an option for you.

i've never seen that flight as full as it is this friday (whereas saturday is the complete opposite). part of me wonders whether it's government types heading to the region for the king's funeral, although there would probably be a deeper standby list if that were the case.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jchn
Does this waiver permit changes within 24-hours regardless of fare class availability? It's not clear.
It's clear:

Flight Changes: Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

SDC is same fare class only. For all other changes, a difference in fare may apply.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm on a 6:30am tcon flight out of PHL. Tried changing to an late afternoon flight on the 23rd and it wants $90 eventhough its well within 24hrs (assuming due to fare class). I obviously wont switch to a later flight. If they really wanted to improve irrops, they wouldn't be cheap and put on so many restrictions. I guess it doesnt matter, I'd have to pay for another night's hotel and car rental.

Since it looks like the first flight of the day, hopefully it wont be delayed too bad. But PHL seems to have trouble even with light drizzle
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I'm on a 6:30am tcon flight out of PHL. Tried changing to an late afternoon flight on the 23rd and it wants $90 eventhough its well within 24hrs (assuming due to fare class). I obviously wont switch to a later flight. If they really wanted to improve irrops, they wouldn't be cheap and put on so many restrictions. I guess it doesnt matter, I'd have to pay for another night's hotel and car rental.

Since it looks like the first flight of the day, hopefully it wont be delayed too bad. But PHL seems to have trouble even with light drizzle
Call in to make the change.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eng3

PHL seems to have trouble on a perfectly dry day.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jchn
Call in to make the change.
I would have, but I don't feeling like paying another night's hotel and car rental. Maybe more people will change and I'll get CPUed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.