Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments were making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment were making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting something were working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entre salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entre choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:46 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
                  Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
                  The PS flights meals have been stuck in a time wrap for more than a year.
                  unlike the rest of domestic F, at least they haven't been stuck in a beef wrap
                  Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:27 pm
                  Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  The jambalaya is an old dish from the pre-Smisek CO days, and it is good.
                  PMUA had it as well, as pre-arrival meal SEA-NRT. Great to see that it's back.

Originally Posted by mike1968
                  ^+1.

United First and vegetarian are two words that don't go together anymore unfortunately. Usually it's chicken paired with chicken and occasionally some other meat product out of ORD.

Will be interesting if true, but most likely I'd still go with AA which has Had a vegetarian offering on every flight ...lunch and dinner...that I can pre-order and guarantee since the U.S. merger (o the concept and convenience for F buying passengers).

At least the press release on the flyer talk home page indicates that they are now aspiring to "restaurant-quality" as opposed to previous goal of "institutional-quality." That sounds like a plus.

If any reports on them truly offering a vegetarian option that won't be gone once they pass through the GS/1K upgrades before getting to the F fare buying lowlifes, I would love to hear them.
                  Don't they normally have pasta as second option?
                  Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depends
                  Originally Posted by PTahCha
                  Don't they normally have pasta as second option?
                  Often, but not always, and it can disappear if you are late in the ordering sequence (and don't manage to make friends with a FA when boarding to let them know how much you would appreciate them holding one back for you), and last flight I had there was no main course vegetarian breakfast or snack option.
                  Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
                  Originally Posted by mike1968
                  ^+1.
                  If any reports on them truly offering a vegetarian option that won't be gone once they pass through the GS/1K upgrades before getting to the F fare buying lowlifes, I would love to hear them.
                  Making quite a few assumptions about GS/1K members. A lot of us buy F tickets. For GS it's practically mandatory for entry. I for one appreciate having a choice when I'm in a plane constantly and am glad of the policy so I can at least try to avoid having the same thing multiple times a week...
                  Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
                  Originally Posted by p924s87
                  Making quite a few assumptions about GS/1K members. A lot of us buy F tickets. For GS it's practically mandatory for entry. I for one appreciate having a choice when I'm in a plane constantly and am glad of the policy so I can at least try to avoid having the same thing multiple times a week...
                  This
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA1K
                  i remember when the DEN-SNA meals were taken away. good to see them coming back.
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
                  I was on DEN-SAN (UA 763, 11:17am departure) on Monday 1/26 which UA shows as 853 miles.

"Lunch" service was the usual refreshment basket of chips, fruit, chocolate etc., Based on my read of the first post, this should have been a full meal service with 2 entree choices. Did I miss something?
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
                  Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
                  Did I miss something?
                  A bit...

about the catering changes you will begin to see in our North America premium cabins beginning Feb 1
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
                  Originally Posted by goodeats21
                  A bit...
                  Indeed. I saw the Feb 23 date but that just referred to the date updated information is available on United.
                  Thanks for pointing that out!
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
                  Just an aside, the new meals have not been updated in the reservations system yet to correspond with the flights - particularly UX and 800 mile flights
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:08 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
                  Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
                  Indeed. I saw the Feb 23 date but that just referred to the date updated information is available on United.
                  Thanks for pointing that out!
                  No worries. It is a bit confusing at first glance.
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:48 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
                  Originally Posted by demkr
                  HUGE improvement. Thank you for listening, UA. My loyalty is retained.
                  Really? Over FOOD?

After flying other domestic carriers I've found that the best food is the simplest. Trying to make French cuisine, or "lobster mac & cheese", and other fancy stuff is a waste on a plane. As test after test has shown, the taste buds are affected by the pressurization and lack of humidity. I wish United and others would focus on making quality SIMPLE food. A steak, without all the fluff, pasta that's FRESH, with simple sauces and sides, salads with a wide assortment of FRESH fruits and veggies. As was pointed out upthread, even the favorite chocolate sundae is ruined by mishandling.

Tell me lunch will be a GOOD sandwich, maybe from Connies in Chicago, or GOOD pizza, or something else filling. Dinner can be the steak, or pasta, but focus on FRESH and GOOD, not fancy names. When I want a good meal I'll go to a good restaurant. On a plane, I want good, but edible and fresh are my priority.
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:13 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
                  Anyone else notice the side salad photo in the first picture (http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...y&mode=gallery) is the exact same salad we've been having for years?

I like the salad so I'm fine just being served one. Curious what the improved side salad is supposed to entail? The photo certainly doesn't show any enhancement. One cucumber slide and one half of a cherry tomato is par for the course. There could even be the occasional olive but the photo doesn't show it.

Besides that thanks for the increase in service, UA ^ Will be nice to see dinner actually return to the 715p IAH-SEA flight.

-RM
                  Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
                  Originally Posted by Sykes
                  Perhaps at least a refreshed menu? If I have to choose between a "Short Rib of Beef", "Tamale-filled Breast of Chicken", or "Tri-color Ravioli" one more time I may lose it. I'm not holding out much hope given that they call out that horrid Tamale-filled Breast of Chicken in the press release.

(Also, I'm not sure why they bucked their trend of using unnecessary "of"'s and didn't call it "Ravioli of Tri-color".)

not accepting any criticism of the chicken if the egg and hockey puck combo is not mentioned.the egg is positively evil.chef who first devised the recipe is now on trial for war crimes in The Hague
                  Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
                  I'm still a bit confused on what to expect post 2/1 --- Flying EWR-HNL in BF at the end of February, does this mean we'll get breakfast and lunch, including a multi-course lunch? Sundae on this route? Any idea?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.