Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are United's worst planes used on longest routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM

I recently took two long range flights (SFO to NRT and SFO to FRA) and got W fares on both. Tried to use globals but they didn't clear, tough luck. Actually, last year my luck with globals was so bad that I have left overs.

But that's not my question, my question is why does United use their worse planes on these routes? In one of the flights the plane had only those ancient overhead monitors, and the other had no entertainment system at all. What's the deal? Why not use better planes on those long busy routes and these crappy ones to shorter flights to South America for example?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What you consider the worst planes are the ones that some of us consider the best. Everyone has their own preferences, and United puts the planes on the routes that they feel result in the most profitable use of their resources.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InterFlyer
I In one of the flights the plane had only those ancient overhead monitors, and the other had no entertainment system at all. What's the deal?
There was no streaming personal device entertainment system?
I thought all 747s had it now.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:00 pm

It'll soon be United's new 777-300ERs with 16.8-17.0" width 3-4-3 seats in economy. 747 and 787, which are already bad enough, are 17.2" and 17.3" respectively.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What you consider the worst planes are the ones that some of us consider the best. Everyone has their own preferences, and United puts the planes on the routes that they feel result in the most profitable use of their resources.
Well, that's not a matter of personal preference, it's a matter of which cabin you're sitting in. I don't think there's anyone out there (maybe a few crazy plane geeks) who prefers economy on a 747 to economy on a 777; the seat is narrower and the IFE system is so old that the only film it shows is a three-second loop of a horse galloping. (Slight exaggeration)

For what it's worth, though, United's longest flights aren't all on 744s. According to this old thread, MEL-LAX is the longest route that UA has ever operated (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-flights.html) and that's a shiny new 787. ORD-HKG is the second longest and that seems to be a 777 nowadays. LAX-SYD is the third longest and that's a 777 as well.

SFO-HKG is probably a 747 (I can't be bothered looking it up) but that's nearly a thousand miles off being the longest route.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If these planes are worse what are the worst ones?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
There was no streaming personal device entertainment system?
I thought all 747s had it now.
Not the ones I traveled in.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I am talking about economy class. Do you really prefer a plane with an overhead monitor to one with screens on the seats and ondemand video? I don't.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
If these planes are worse what are the worst ones?
The ones that fly from IAH to HNL.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 21, 2015 at 3:23 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:42 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Actually, the 10 UA routes that clock in at over 7,000 statute miles are:

1. EWR-HKG: 8,065 mi (772)
2. LAX-MEL: 7,921 mi (789)
3. EWR-BOM: 7,807 (772)
4. ORD-HKG: 7,793 (772)
5. LAX-SYD: 7,488 (772)
6. SFO-SYD: 7,417 (772)
7. EWR-PVG: 7,384 (772)
8. EWR-DEL: 7,324 (772)
9. IAD-DXB: 7,069 (772)
10. ORD-PVG: 7,057 (744)

Only one (the shortest) is flown on a 747. All the rest are 777 or 787. The routes mentioned in OP's complaint (SFO-NRT and SFO-FRA) aren't even in the running (5,118 and 5,691, respectively).

About the only justification for saying that UA puts 744s on its longest routes is the obscure fact that UA's longest route ever was JFK-HKG, at 8,072... and it was on a 744. Of course, they weren't so old back in 2001.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The ones that fly from IAH to HNL.
The last time I did that it was the 767-400. What is wrong with that ???

It is 2-1-2 in business and all lay flat
Economy is 2-3-2 which is fine
All seats have seat back entertainment with free content
They have channel 9

If this is the worst to you, maybe flying isn't for you...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
The last time I did that it was the 767-400. What is wrong with that ???

It is 2-1-2 in business and all lay flat
Economy is 2-3-2 which is fine
All seats have seat back entertainment with free content
They have channel 9

If this is the worst to you, maybe flying isn't for you...
it's the 772 hawaiian config now; barcaloungers in F. EWR-HNL has the lie-flats.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Do you really prefer a plane with an overhead monitor to one with screens on the seats and ondemand video? I don't.
Given I bring my laptop with on trips, I don't really care either way about the plane having IFE or not. I care more about legroom.

Wifi's nice to have, though. (Before anyone says "power," my laptop has a 24 hour battery life )
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Just completed a return transpacific in economy.
SYD-SFO was in what seemed a reasonably new 777.
LAX-SYD in a bit of a tatty 777.
I do miss the 747s on that route however. the seats were more comfortable. the IFE being overhead never worried me. I read and sleep.
Now you have someone thumping the back of your seat. It's a touchscreen people, not a thumpscreen,
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Wifi's nice to have, though. (Before anyone says "power," my laptop has a 24 hour battery life )
That would be great. What laptop has a 24 battery life?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by grapegrower
Just completed a return transpacific in economy.
SYD-SFO was in what seemed a reasonably new 777.
LAX-SYD in a bit of a tatty 777.
I do miss the 747s on that route however. the seats were more comfortable. the IFE being overhead never worried me. I read and sleep.
Now you have someone thumping the back of your seat. It's a touchscreen people, not a thumpscreen,
Both the LAX - SYD, and SYD - SFO routes you flew on are flown by the 3-cabin 777s. I'm suspecting SYD - SFO was on a newer 3-cabin 777, while LAX - SYD was on a older one.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Out of EWR it seems like UA uses the "oldest" planes on the "mid-haul" routes to Europe. I have not encountered the big overhead tvs in a long time, but I often get those small square squares in the back of the seat. I mean small - smaller than my phone, a handful of movies that just play (poorly at that) - no on demand. Best I can figure these plans (mainly 767 as I recall) still have the three classes of service and I guess there is some demand for those. However those of us in economy just see these planes as old with severely outdated technology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.