Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Just had my domestic feeder to a Transatlantic flight changed from mainline 739 to UX E75. Times stayed the same, but will that change allow me to change my whole return to a different flight, including change of connection City (and thus the Transatlantic Segment)?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by djohannw
Just had my domestic feeder to a Transatlantic flight changed from mainline 739 to UX E75. Times stayed the same, but will that change allow me to change my whole return to a different flight, including change of connection City (and thus the Transatlantic Segment)?

Greetings - Dirk

Probably not, unless you refund the ticket and start over.

If you decide to refund, check fares, upgrades, whatever else is important to you before you start.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Might be good to keep a couple things in mind. First, getting saver biz tickets is the holy grail of award tickets. You scored! They're the toughest thing to come by, and, in all likelihood, the chances of the stars and planets lining up again to get you three saver tickets for Seville are slim to none. Second, there are trains leaving every hour to Seville, 2.5 hour trip, and probably reasonable in cost. European train service is not to be confused with what's available in the US; it's generally cheaper, faster, and more-comfortable.

You're going to have an awesome vacation. Don't let any disappointment about your flights not being perfectly-optimal get in the way.
Thanks for refocusing me! I was just hoping to make it a wee bit easier (and cheaper) to get to Sevilla (traveling with a 9 month old, a 3 year old, and a 75 year old). But my 3 year old will LOVE the train
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So, I had 3 UA bookings for this year. 2 were booked straight with UA and 1 was booked through Aeroplan as a reward ticket.

All 3 got changed lol. The only one I was informed of was the Aeroplan one, and it was a 20 minute change, departing at 6:00 instead of 6:20.

SEA-IAH-IAD-SJU, somewhat of a segment run plus vacation/good price...gets changed to SEA-IAH-EWR-SJU. Not major, but it means if I had any plans at IAD to cancel em, also had to pick new seats cuz of new flights. Also the connections now are 40 minutes and 55 minutes, so they're fairly tight, but I do arrive 2 hours earlier, so it's give and take I suppose. But either way, I was never informed.

SEA-SFO, CRJ7 departing at 6:30am, gets moved to 7:30 and equipment change. I would've preferred the CRJ despite the majority of people's opinions here. Again not informed. I was already dreading the overnight/super early morning drive to SEA. But the original flight ex-YVR was way more expensive, now the price was very fair. But they wanted the fare change $93CAD + 255 cuz it's K class, which was more than the value of the ticket. But wait! They changed the itinerary on me, so I can call and change it, be nice and they'll waive the fee. That's exactly what I did. The later arrival time actually does affect me, so I wasn't lying when I told them it no longer worked for me but I was quite happy not only with the result but the service from the Philippines hotline as well. $93CAD to change it to YVR-SFO-YVR. Sometimes UA's IT works in your favor.

Sidebar, is it their policy to waive the fee anytime they change the itinerary? It's only happened to me twice where the new flight was no good and both times they've waived.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
... Sidebar, is it their policy to waive the fee anytime they change the itinerary? ....
Yes it is in the fare rules.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
Thanks for refocusing me! I was just hoping to make it a wee bit easier (and cheaper) to get to Sevilla (traveling with a 9 month old, a 3 year old, and a 75 year old). But my 3 year old will LOVE the train
it will cost you more miles unless your original ticket already included partner flight.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
I rarely fly UA (due to a change in my travel patterns, not because I'm deliberately avoiding them) after having had status as recently as 2013. I have to LOL this year. 5 UA segments, changes on four.

Just got "disconnected" after 35 minutes on hold and 10 maddening minutes with a UA agent where I variously got: "no, 35 minutes is a legal connection at O'Hare" (I don't care if it's legal, it's way too tight on a holiday weekend); "you can't change to that one, only a Standard Award is available" (I have roughly double the required points); and "Can you call back later, that's complicated". Um, it shouldn't be that complicated. You're only making it so.

I'll call back later, but still. Bleh.

{update}
So lesson learned, sometimes 11:30 EST customer service > 3PM EST. She called it the hat trick of schedule changes but I got a much saner flight with legal/comfortable connections. Still don't love transiting in ORD, but I can live with it for the schedule.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2015 at 11:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have an award booked on an Air China flight that just changed the arrival time to 1 hour 40 minutes later. How long after my original arrival time does the schedule change have be in order for me to be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without paying a fee (I have no status)?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Richard1148
I have an award booked on an Air China flight that just changed the arrival time to 1 hour 40 minutes later. How long after my original arrival time does the schedule change have be in order for me to be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without paying a fee (I have no status)?
Would it cause you to miss a connection? If so, then that timing is definitely enough. Otherwise I suggest calling and asking nicely. If the agent says no try calling again later.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I suggest calling and asking nicely.
I must have asked nicely enough. The agent cancelled and redeposited the miles right away without any fee.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
TATL 788 in June LHR-EWR changed to a crappy PMUA 763
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
My ORD-MUC TATL was also downgauged to a 763 this weekend, but in my case it was from a 777. I actually prefer the 763 to the 777 in J. I've not flown the 788 yet, but I might prefer the 763's 2-3-2 Y cabin to the 3-3-3.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Couple of tasty ones today:

Booked SFO-LAX-NRT-NGO for the R space, computer changed it to SFO-LAX-SFO-NRT in R and dropped NRT-NGO. Looks like I'll get the desired SFO-NRT after all, and not have to fly the 787. ^

AUA-IAH-SJC changed to AUA-ORD-IAH (negative connection) IAH-SJC.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
Booked SFO-LAX-NRT-NGO for the R space, computer changed it to SFO-LAX-SFO-NRT in R
I had that happen years ago when they canceled LAX-HKG (SFO-LAX-SFO-HKG).
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by cfischer
If in C, sure, but not so certain the Y experience in a 788 is superior to Y in a 763. Narrower seats on the 788, and no window-aisle pairs.

I understand the attraction to higher cabin pressurization, but that attraction hasn't translated to a real benefit the three times I've taken long flight on them (788s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.