Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by transportprof
There is such a transfer shortcut for US arrivals to International departures at YVR that avoids being cleared into Canada. But OP's domestic connection to YYZ precludes that option.

There are also reports that LH has been too cheap to pay the additional processing fee for this shortcut service, so their connecting pax are sent through the main customs processing and have to re-enter the international departures area after being cleared into Canada.
Thought I'd share my expierence here.

Was booked DEN-ORD-MKG (Muskegon, MI) and back for October. Going through my reservation after I made it a couple days later, I noticed there was a problem on the app trying to get my seats to show for the ORD-MKG and back segment. I went online and saw there was a schedule change that I had to accept (UA never notified me).

In all honesty it would have worked, but I was going to call and ask to be put on DEN-ORD-GRR. I called the line (as a UA silver), told her what I wanted, and she said, "you know, we fly nonstop to GRR..." I thought that would be pushing it to ask for that, but she said no problem, and even on my return put me on the nonstop. The fare differences were (at the time) about $150 each way.

So
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mileageplus, Skymiles, Alaska MVP
I don't think the reason for the problem changes anything with the remedy. You'll have to call United's MP desk and have them find award space on a better connection. It's always best to have done homework in advance and found available business space on alternative flights/carriers. Hopefully you'll find some on LH (flying out of either SEA or YVR). If there's no open award space in business, my guess is that UA will try to shift you to the next earlier SEA-YVR flight and leave the rest intact.
I initially had booked with a saver business award; will they let me switch to a standard business award without incurring additional miles if I find it on a different itinerary?

Bryan
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bchow64
I initially had booked with a saver business award; will they let me switch to a standard business award without incurring additional miles if I find it on a different itinerary?

Bryan
no, but they will open up saver inventory for you on their metal
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've got a sked change on my December flights to HNL, and would appreciate FTers sage advice on my options.

I had booked YVR-SFO-HNL on the 6 am departure from here (A319) with a long (3 hour) cnx at SFO to the mid-day 777 to HNL.

It looks like the 6 am YVR-SFO has been downgauged to a UX E175. I've still got a > 3 hr. connection, and the mid-day 777 still appears to be operating.

The seats are booked in P (which was an UPDI base fare, fwiw).
Do I accept the change, and go on UX to SFO, or do I try and change to later flights that day?

There is a 1 pm UA departure YVR-SFO that's got a 40-something minute cnx to the 764 flight to HNL, with flat bed seats in the front cabin. But it is a short connection, which put me off booking it initially (along with the higher price they were charging for those P fares).

It's a bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison between these itineraries, but I'd welcome your input in choosing either the apple or the orange.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

start with asking for the AC nonstop - i'd huca a few times to really try to effecuate
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
start with asking for the AC nonstop - i'd huca a few times to really try to effecuate
Do you mean the Rouge flight from YVR-HNL?

That sked is a bit too late in the day for me. I guess the 767 Rouge is not as bad as the 319, but I still think the 777 (not to mention the 764) also offer a much better front cabin.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Platinum
Doesn't AC use Terminal A? OP will have to go ground-side and back through TSA.

The F seats aren't that bad on the EMB-175, and an early morning flight should help. 3 hours transfer at SFO is minimum for me.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had booked YVR-SFO-HNL on the 6 am departure from here (A319) with a long (3 hour) cnx at SFO to the mid-day 777 to HNL.

It looks like the 6 am YVR-SFO has been downgauged to a UX E175. I've still got a > 3 hr. connection, and the mid-day 777 still appears to be operating.

The seats are booked in P (which was an UPDI base fare, fwiw).
Do I accept the change, and go on UX to SFO, or do I try and change to later flights that day?

There is a 1 pm UA departure YVR-SFO that's got a 40-something minute cnx to the 764 flight to HNL, with flat bed seats in the front cabin. But it is a short connection, which put me off booking it initially (along with the higher price they were charging for those P fares).

It's a bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison between these itineraries, but I'd welcome your input in choosing either the apple or the orange.
I would give this about 2 seconds thought and stick with what you got. Because:

1. The 175 is no worse than a 319. Plus it's only a 2 hour flight.
2. 40 minutes is too tight and the only flight left if you miss is on a 739.
3. You're going to burn a full day of Hawaii time with the later arrival.
4. For a daytime flight, the 764 is really not that much better (if at all) than the 772. Plus the swap on the 764 in case of mx is to a 753 and that SUCKS.

Zero chance UA will do this.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the thoughtful input on my HNL rescheduling for December. I've gone with the proposed shift to the UX E175. I agree that the apple is preferable to the orange in this case.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:37 pm

fwiw, United to United Express is a carrier change that automatically entitles you to full refund. Consider if you are better off booking fresh today.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:42 pm

fwiw, United to United Express is a carrier change that automatically entitles you to full refund. Consider if you are better off booking fresh today.
I did check today's fares to HNL, and they'd increased by about $400 per person (for P space). So refunding and rebooking would not be to my advantage.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Lovely 12/31 cancellations turning 2 hour IAD layover into 6 hours with no other options.

Requested a refund on the connecting flights and will just drive the rest of the way. Was provided a generous $40 for the connections on a $500 ticket
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
8 reservations between November and January w/ schedule change today, 3 of them severe. IAH-BOS ... on a Tuesday ... no more morning flight ... first flight at noon what is UA thinking!
I'll have to call in and get 5 of them fixed ... this will be a mess.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had my PHX-EWR mid-day nonstop on Thanksgiving weekend get eliminated (UA only offering early morning or red-eye flight) - so a ~6 hour time change on the itinerary today. Called in, originally changed my flight to PHX-DEN-EWR - realized there was zero F seats on any of them (all of them were booked)...called back later, was able to change (without charge) to PHX-SFO-EWR, with R availability on both PHX-SFO on CRJ7 and on the p.s. flight back. Since I was already booked to a V fare, the upgrades cost less. Adds a bit more flying time for sure, but will definitely enjoy the BF seat on the TCON flight for sure.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Called in today for a couple of reservations with schedule changes that I did not like the auto-rebooked options. (2 other reservations were hit as well, but the changes were small and the auto rebook was ok).

A fairly normal call from most respects. About 30 minutes in total, including some "on-hold" time while a supervisor had to work on the ticket to get it to re-issue.

The part that was unusual was the sincere apology given by the phone agent for the inconvenience of United's schedule changes. ^

It has been several years since anyone at the (fake) 1K line actually apologized for this. I was surprised and thanked her for that rare flash of customer empathy and service.

Oh, and I found a new display glitch on the weekend schedule changes. My flights were showing as re-booked on a CR2...which ticked me off. Only when I started looking at options did I discover the flights were actually on E-175s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.