Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Good point, this is a stretch, not the baby of the family, so the economics may not be so grim. But they're going to get these a couple years before the 10+% better 777X arrives, which could leave them in a real pinch if the price oil spikes again.
But if they are replacing the 747, this would still be an improvement.

They should have ordered these birds a few years ago.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
77W good. Better have F class if they're planning to send them to SYD, or can expect plenty of defections to QF, including from me.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Was there ever a commercial or advertising materials with the 777 that was a play on Vegas slot machines?
I've always had this image/memory in the back of my mind flying when I was a kid (which would coordinate with the 1995 launch) at some point and something about the new "lucky 7s" plane.
Yes, UA had a printed ad saying something along the lines of: "Passengers on American, this is the only 777 you'll get. Good luck."
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Let the speculation begin: Will they be 2-class or 3-class?
I'm certain there is no speculation necessary.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by worldtrav
^ IMO, this decision was made years ago, probably about the same time 787s were ordered.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by artvandalay
IMO, this decision was made years ago, probably about the same time 787s were ordered.
I'd say longer than that. Did Continental ever have 3-class planes?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If they get enough orders for the 777-300 and Airbus materially delays the 350's, they could cancel the Airbus order and be on they way to all Boeing a la CO.

Plus if they debut the make-your-own sundae bar they've been talking about, we could be flying a brand new 15 year old plane with a 25 year old paint job, eating ice cream like we are third graders. Talk about a nostalgic experience right out of the gate.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
Let the speculation begin: Will they be 2-class or 3-class?
You think they have 3 class now ??
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
there is something very special about a two story aircraft...maybe we'll get another one day
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldtrav
My guess is Global First is good-as-gone once these aircraft replace the 747s - next step is removal from the PMUA 772s. The product has zero value proposition and is barely competitive with the business class product of many foreign airlines. Our agency still can't even give GF away for the price of full business, which is seriously telling.

The concern here is the business seat - will it be 2x4x2 with the PMUA seat or 2x2x2 with the PMCO seat.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, US Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
My guess is Global First is good-as-gone once these aircraft replace the 747s - next step is removal from the PMUA 772s. The product has zero value proposition and is barely competitive with the business class product of many foreign airlines. Our agency still can't even give GF away for the price of full business, which is seriously telling.

The concern here is the business seat - will it be 2x4x2 with the PMUA seat or 2x2x2 with the PMCO seat.
There's no way it would be 2-4-2 config. None of the new planes use that seat anymore.

There might be a slim 10% chance UA will finally wake up and install cirrus (or better yet, the new J available on AC 787s or QR 350s)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jetsetEWR
There's no way it would be 2-4-2 config. None of the new planes use that seat anymore.

There might be a slim 10% chance UA will finally wake up and install cirrus (or better yet, the new J available on AC 787s or QR 350s)
Either way we slice it, there will be a significant loss of J seats on the routes currently flown by the 747s - with a 2x2x2 seat, the loss would be even greater and I say this as someone who despises the PMUA J seat.

I would certainly bemoan the loss of the upper deck J experience.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by N830MH
Well, yeah, they want to get 77W aircraft by replaced the 744 aircraft. I think it's time to retired the entire 744 aircraft. Long overdue!!!

Not sure if you fly UA much to remember, Glenn Tilton ordered the A350-1000 were said specifically to replace the 744, and to be delivered by 2019.

Not to mention, UA is not NW (DL), UA has more than 20 744, so the 10 77W ordered for now won't be able to replace the entire UA's 744 fleet !

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
This may be the beginning of the end for the 744s, but more immediately will provide a path for phasing out the older 772s. UA was the launch customer for the type. With an average lifespan of about 25 years on an airframe(Yes, I know we actually count cycles but work with me here), some of those first planes are about due for their trip to VCV.

The oldest PMUA 777 are approaching 20 years, not 25 years.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I think UA is unlikely to outfit the 773 with GF if they install their rumored new 1-2-1 all-aisle access J product on it.

What's the likelihood of that? How soon before delivery would they have to develop and finalize it?

As a side question, if UA does install this new J and it is long enough for tall people and has a wide enough footwell for people with big feed and enough storage and privacy, what kind of GF product would they need in order to really differentiate it from BF at that point? I think they would need suite-level GF as a differentiator as well as a non-food soft product that they will not be able to sustain across their multitude of hubs or their staff. And if they had it I'm not even sure they could sell it.

Anyway, I don't mean to depress anyone, but I still hold out hope for:
1. New all-aisle BF hard product on the 773's.
2. 3-3-3 in E+ with additional perks and a higher buyup price tag
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by lensman
if UA does install this new J and it is long enough for tall people and has a wide enough footwell for people with big feed and enough storage and privacy, what kind of GF product would they need in order to really differentiate it from BF at that point?
GF is differentiated because you have a much higher FA to pax ratio, and bathroom to pax ratio. This means that, unlike in J, you don't feel like you are on an assembly line, don't have to fight for bin space, and don't have to perfectly time trips to the lav. It's an overall much more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

I've flown low density reverse herringbone J on 'premium' airlines and it still feels like an assembly line. That's just impossible to avoid when you have 30+ people in a single cabin. Likewise, I highly down whatever new J seat UA is cooking up will have the same amount of personal space and storage as GF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.