Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by mduell
Seems strange since B77W dominates TPAC and A35J doesn't have the same payload-range.
UA flies to NRT, PVG, PEK, and HKG from EWR, and those are long flights. That would pretty much account for the ten frames.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Air Houston
UA flies to NRT, PVG, PEK, and HKG from EWR, and those are long flights. That would pretty much account for the ten frames.
All already ably operated by sCO 772s.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
Is there any plan for the ps birds? I just can't see them going to a 737 on that route, at least I hope not -- but with the introduction of Mint and just how competitive the route is in general I just don't quite get what the long term strategy is.
This UA has ably demonstrated that, when faced with competition, its strategy is to reduce capacity or pull out of a market.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
This UA has ably demonstrated that, when faced with competition, its strategy is to reduce capacity or pull out of a market.
Like up gauging LAX-PVG to 787-9 despite competition from MU, AA, and soon DL ?

Or up gauging SFO-SEA to all mainline amid the AS/DL war ?

Or up frequency on LAX-EWR to a point it completely chased AA out of the market ?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by samuel881
Like up gauging LAX-PVG to 787-9 despite competition from MU, AA, and soon DL ?
That was after the downgauge from a 772 to a 787-8.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If they go 10 across, what types of seats are planned for these aircraft?
UA should use 9 across for their upcoming 77W. It would give UA a big advantage over AA. When UA reconfigured the 772s a few years ago, they stayed 9 across - if UA wanted to move to 10 across they would have done so during the 772 retrofits.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Austin787
UA should use 9 across for their upcoming 77W. It would give UA a big advantage over AA. When UA reconfigured the 772s a few years ago, they stayed 9 across - if UA wanted to move to 10 across they would have done so during the 772 retrofits.
I'm not so sure. I think it's a given the E- will be 10-abreast, we need to hold out hope that E+ keeps the current configuration.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not so sure. I think it's a given the E- will be 10-abreast, we need to hold out hope that E+ keeps the current configuration.
Even if it's just 4 or 5 rows, that would be welcome.

So, when do we think the seat map will be released. Obviously not anytime soon. A month, two, or three before delivery? UA knows what they will have, or a pretty close idea, but we want to know too.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
it would be nice if they stick the 10 across Y seating with Jeff's CO customers in EWR.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hope that it will be similar to CX

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Even if it's just 4 or 5 rows, that would be welcome.

So, when do we think the seat map will be released. Obviously not anytime soon. A month, two, or three before delivery? UA knows what they will have, or a pretty close idea, but we want to know too.
All indication is that GF will not be offered for 77W. But I hope that UA will adopt a seat map similar to CX with a larger premium economy cabin (40 BF, 64 E++, and 238 E = 342; vs. 374 in UA's B747). E++ = premium economy, not E+. no 10-abreast economy seats. Otherwise, the total seating will nearly match that of B747.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...77-300ER_C.php
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
All indication is that GF will not be offered for 77W. But I hope that UA will adopt a seat map similar to CX with a larger premium economy cabin (40 BF, 64 E++, and 238 E = 342; vs. 374 in UA's B747). E++ = premium economy, not E+. no 10-abreast economy seats.
Again, it seems like that there's absolutely zero chance that UA is going to introduce a whole new class of service that exists only on 10 planes in their fleet. Marketing issues alone would rule this out.

They could certainly have a better E+ seat and they could have more restrictive and/or expensive rules for booking into it. But it would still be a Y fare.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Garten
Again, it seems like that there's absolutely zero chance that UA is going to introduce a whole new class of service that exists only on 10 planes in their fleet. Marketing issues alone would rule this out.

They could certainly have a better E+ seat and they could have more restrictive and/or expensive rules for booking into it. But it would still be a Y fare.
Didn't AC basically do that with their premium economy? Obviously, change of aircraft type would result in issues, sure, but there's no reason why it can't be done. Especially if introduced on a route-by-route basis, there's no reason why you couldn't market it.

TK is another example, they only have premium economy on their 777s. The question is if one booked in PE if it was introduced, where does one go on the onward connection. I believe in TKs case, if you are in the cheaper of the PE fares, its in regular E, while the more expensive fares go into Business on the onwards.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Kacee
All already ably operated by sCO 772s.
This could be freeing up some CO 772s to elsewhere.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Austin787
There is zero chance of that happening. In fact, while AA kept wider seats with more space in their extra space section, I am 99% certain UA will stuff the same seats with the same width in E+ and just add a few extra inches of legroom.

It's not about the product and it's not about the customers...it's about Rainey putting a happy face on Hunter Keay while shining his shoes.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is zero chance of that happening. In fact, while AA kept wider seats with more space in their extra space section, I am 99% certain UA will stuff the same seats with the same width in E+ and just add a few extra inches of legroom.

It's not about the product and it's not about the customers...it's about Rainey putting a happy face on Hunter Keay while shining his shoes.
So, without any basis in reality or fact, you are claiming to be 99% (or maybe 100, the inverse of 0) certain that UA will go with 10 abreast in E- and E+ on these new A/C?

Thank you voice of reason.

PS you may tell me 'I told you so' if what you predict actually becomes reality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.