Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing new IDB rules effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
DoT's 14 CFR Part 250 - OVERSALES

DoT's WRITTEN EXPLANATION OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION AND BOARDING PRIORITIES

DoT's A Consumer Guide to Air Travel -- see Overbooking

UA's Contact of Carriage -- see RULE 25 DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION

IMPORTANT: Per the DOT reg linked above, IDB compensation only applies if the flight is oversold.

-- There must be a request for volunteers
-- The IDBed individual must be given a written explanation
-- Compensation must be in cash or check form unless passengers agrees to other method
-- Delay is to destination or first stopover (a deliberate interruption of a journey by the passenger, scheduled to exceed 4 hours)

Domestic Compensation
0 to 1 hour arrival delay ... No compensation
1 to 2 hour arrival delay ... 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)
Over 2 hours arrival delay ... 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)

International Compensation
0 to 1 hour arrival delay ... No compensation
1 to 4 hour arrival delay ... 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)
Over 4 hours arrival delay ... 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)

If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.
Exemptions
If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of “denied boarding compensation” from the airline unless:
(1) you have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or
(2) you are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or
(3) you are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or
(4) on a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or
(5) you are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or
(6) the airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.

Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation
A. Denied Boarding (U.S.A./Canadian Flight Origin) - When there is an Oversold UA flight that originates in the U.S.A. or Canada, the following provisions apply:1. Request for Volunteersa. UA will request Passengers who are willing to relinquish their confirmed reserved space in exchange for compensation in an amount determined by UA (including but not limited to check or an electronic travel certificate). The travel certificate will be valid only for travel on UA or designated Codeshare partners for one year from the date of issue and will have no refund value. If a Passenger is asked to volunteer, UA will not later deny boarding to that Passenger involuntarily unless that Passenger was informed at the time he was asked to volunteer that there was a possibility of being denied boarding involuntarily and of the amount of compensation to which he/she would have been entitled in that event. The request for volunteers and the selection of such person to be denied space will be in a manner determined solely by UA.

2. Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:a. Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.

b. The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

3. Transportation for Passengers Denied Boarding - When UA is unable to provide previously confirmed space due to an Oversold flight, UA will provide transportation to such Passengers who have been denied boarding whether voluntarily or involuntarily in accordance with the provisions below.a. UA will transport the Passenger on its own flight to the Destination without Stopover on its next flight on which space is available at no additional cost to the Passenger, regardless of class of service.

b. If space is available on another Carrier’s flight regardless of class of service, such flights may be used upon United’s sole discretion and the Passenger’s request at no additional cost to the Passenger only if such flight provides an earlier arrival than the UA flight offered in 3) a) above.

4. Compensation for Passengers Denied Boarding Involuntarilya. For passengers traveling in interstate transportation between points within the United States, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.

b. For passengers traveling from the United States to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a U.S. airport at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.

c. For passengers traveling from Canada to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a Canadian airport with a maximum of 200 CAD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight with a maximum of 300 CAD. At the passenger’s request, compensation in the form of check, wire transfer, visa card, or a travel voucher will be made by UA, and if accepted by the Passenger, the Passenger will provide a signed receipt to UA.

d. EXCEPTIONS: A Passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:i. The flight is cancelled;
ii. The Passenger holding a Ticket for confirmed reserved space does not comply fully with the requirements in this Contract of Carriage Requirements regarding ticketing, check-in, reconfirmation procedures, and acceptance for transportation;
iii. The flight for which the Passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate the Passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons or, on an aircraft with a designed passenger capacity of 60 or fewer seats, the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger due to weight/balance restrictions when required by operational or safety reasons;
iv. The Passenger is offered accommodations or is seated in a section of the aircraft other than that specified on his/her ticket at no extra charge. Provided, if a Passenger is seated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the Passenger will be entitled to a refund applicable to the difference in fares;
v. The Passenger is accommodated on Alternate Transportation at no extra cost, which at the time such arrangements are made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the Passenger’s next Stopover, (if any), or at the Destination, not later than 60 minutes after the planned arrival time of the flight on which the Passenger held confirmed reserved space;
vi. The Passenger is an employee of UA or of another Carrier or other person traveling without a confirmed reserved space; or
vii. The Passenger does not present him/herself at the loading gate for boarding at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled domestic departures, and 30 minutes prior to scheduled international departures. See Rule 5 D) for additional information regarding boarding cut-off times.
5. Payment Time and Form for Passengers Traveling Between Points within the United States or from the United States to a Foreign Pointa. Compensation in the form of check will be made by UA on the day and at the place where the failure to provide confirmed reserved space occurs, and if accepted by the Passenger, the Passenger will provide a signed receipt to UA. However, when UA has arranged, for the Passenger’s convenience, Alternate Transportation that departs before the compensation to the Passenger under this provision can be prepared and given to the Passenger, the compensation shall be sent by mail or other means to the Passenger within 24 hours thereafter.
b. UA may offer free or reduced rate air transportation in lieu of a check payment due under this Rule, if the value of the transportation credit offered is equal to or greater than the monetary compensation otherwise due and UA informs the Passenger of the amount and that the Passenger may decline the transportation benefit and receive the monetary compensation.
6. Limitation of Liability - If UA’s offer of compensation pursuant to the above provisions is accepted by the Passenger, such payment will constitute full compensation for all actual or anticipatory damages incurred or to be incurred by the Passenger as a result of UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space. If UA’s offer of compensation pursuant to the above provisions is not accepted, UA’s liability is limited to actual damages proved not to exceed 1350 USD per Ticketed Passenger as a result of UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space. Passenger will be responsible for providing documentation of all actual damages claimed. UA shall not be liable for any punitive, consequential or special damages arising out of or in connection with UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space.

B. Denied Boarding Non-U.S.A./Canada Flight Origin - Where there is an Oversold UA flight that originates outside the U.S.A. or Canada, no compensation will be provided except where required by local or international laws regulating Oversold flights.
UA provided the following in its United Express Flight 3411 Review and Action Report

Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Selection Process

United's involuntary denied boarding (IDB) process is automated and customers are not subject to discretionary choice by agents. This is our process:
  • First, agents will deny boarding if a passenger does not have a seat assignment prior to boarding the aircraft.
  • Customers are then sorted by fare class (estimated fare paid) and type of itinerary.
  • Customers with the lowest paid fare are placed at the top of the list for involuntary denial of boarding.
  • If a group of customers paid the same fare, then the group is sorted by time of check-in.
  • Customers with frequent flyer status will not be involuntarily denied boarding, unless all of the remaining passengers have frequent flyer status, in which case the lowest status will move to the top of the IDB list.
  • Customers with special needs (unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities) are excluded and are not involuntarily denied boarding.
FAQS
As a cleared Standby passenger, am I protect / due compensation if IDB'ed?

Appears no
Originally Posted by state00
The DOT representative responded to me today and said that United's interpretation is correct. 14 CFR 250 only applies to confirmed reserved space, which does not cover standby passengers. So kudos to those here who knew!

It is an interesting interpretation because when I was given a BP, my reservation on the later flight was cancelled. So does that mean that technically at that moment I had no confirmed, reserved space on any flight? Maybe flying standby to leave early is riskier than I thought!
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Originally Posted by state00
The DOT representative responded to me today and said that United's interpretation is correct. 14 CFR 250 only applies to confirmed reserved space, which does not cover standby passengers.
My DOT contact just replied with similar information. He's a recently retired DOT official who spent his career handling these types of issues and interacting with the public. He gave me permission to post his response.

Although Part 250 uses (and defines) the term “confirmed reserved space,” neither DOT, nor to my knowledge the industry, has distinguished between a reservation that is confirmed and one that is not. DOT has never acknowledged the existence of a reservation that is not confirmed. You either have a reservation or you don’t. In that sense, the word “confirmed” in the term “confirmed reserved space” (a term that goes back to the original Part 250 that was enacted fifty years ago) is redundant.

When a standby passenger is boarded – even with a seat assignment and boarding pass – this does not constitute issuing him/her confirmed reserved space. I see nothing in the definition of “confirmed reserved space” in section 250.1 that implies that clearing standby gives a passenger “confirmed reserved space.” When a flight is oversold, airlines make every effort to ensure that individuals who need to be bumped involuntarily will be denied boarding before they are boarded. That’s simply the easiest way for everyone – the airline and the passengers. But occasionally a standby passenger needs to be removed after having been boarded. That does not entitle that passenger to the protections of Part 250, as he/she never had a reservation.

Part 250 doesn’t say that passengers can’t be bumped after being boarded.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 8,856 14
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592
Print Wikipost

Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

Old May 4, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Seems like you cut it too close and lost the roll of the dice.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mduell
Seems like you cut it too close and lost the roll of the dice.
+1 It did not sound like IDB to me.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
It's not IDB; but it's unacceptable for UA to refuse to check them in when they were at the counter 10min prior to cut-off. This is much more deserving of a scandal than the incident with a cry-baby doctor who refused to give up his seat.
@KPhill I hope you are compensated accordingly and the agents involved are disciplined severely.

For an example of how an airline _should_ handle this; I was recently flying EK F SFO-DXB and showed up at 12:30 for a checkin counter that opened at 1:15. They couldn't check me in and I had a business meeting at the Centurion lounge. Proceeded to book a refundable domestic ticket to get through security and get my meeting done. I lost track of time a bit and at T-65 I get a phone call from the check-in agent asking me where I was. Told her I was in the terminal and would be right there, and she processed my check-in at T-55 about 5min _after_ cut-off. This is how you provide top notch service. (No bags to check for me; couldn't do online check-in because of my passport.)
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Another United incident: re bumping on ACV->DEN.

My granddaughter just called to tell me she was denied boarding on a United Express flight. She was traveling from Arcata, California to Denver. Upon arrival at the airport she was told the last 3 to check in were rebooked on a later flight because United needed to move 3 employees. Does United have a responsibility to compensate, sounds to me like involuntary denied boarding?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Everything
Yes. She should be compensated.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:44 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
While it does sound like an IDB situation, we'd need to know more facts to be sure whether there were valid exceptions to paying IDB compensation, such as how early your granddaughter checked-in, and appeared at the airport/gate, whether volunteers were first sought before involuntarily denied boarding, United M+ status of any involuntarily denied, whether original aircraft was downsized, etc.

What compensation was offered your granddaughter and how soon after her scheduled flight was her "protection" flight?

I infer that no one was forcibly removed from seats already occupied?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
While it does sound like an IDB situation, we'd need to know more facts to be sure whether there were valid exceptions to paying IDB compensation, such as how early your granddaughter checked-in, and appeared at the airport/gate, whether volunteers were first sought before involuntarily denied boarding, United M+ status of any involuntarily denied, whether original aircraft was downsized, etc.

What compensation was offered your granddaughter and how soon after her scheduled flight was her "protection" flight?

I infer that no one was forcibly removed from seats already occupied?
There was no one removed from the aircraft, will collect more facts. What is the time frame for filling a claim?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
What makes this an "incident"? While it is no fun to be bumped, it happens.

Now - if UA is going against its new policy with regards to employees and bumping, it is cause for follow up. But I still wouldn't consider it an incident!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
What is the time frame for filling a claim?
Sufficiently long that you don't need to rush into anything. Get the facts straight first and go from there.

Also, I presume the bump was on UA 5276 ACV-SFO with a rebooking on UA5349, also to SFO? I do not see any nonstop flights from ACV to DEN. The UA website shows 5276 going out with one seat empty and a bunch of standby passengers cleared.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Sufficiently long that you don't need to rush into anything. Get the facts straight first and go from there.

Also, I presume the bump was on UA 5276 ACV-SFO with a rebooking on UA5349, also to SFO? I do not see any nonstop flights from ACV to DEN. The UA website shows 5276 going out with one seat empty and a bunch of standby passengers cleared.
This was yesterday, Friday, morning on the first AM flight.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The big question here is what was the aircraft? If it was a CRJ-2, that's exempt from the IDB regulations.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA5276, which did go out full with no standbys cleared. (sbm12 was talking about todays flight, not yesterdays).

Originally Posted by Kacee
The big question here is what was the aircraft? If it was a CRJ-2, that's exempt from the IDB regulations.
Whilst that's true officially, UA have a policy of paying anyway. Especially if this was to accommodate crew as stated (which seems a little odd from ACV) then given the current climate they would be crazy not to do so in this particular case!

But as has already been stated, there's more details needed to know exactly what happened...
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Isn't the new policy crew changes can't happen in the last hour prior to flight?

So, if these changes happened prior to 1 hour, then United is within their new policy...
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by docbert
UA5276, which did go out full with no standbys cleared. (sbm12 was talking about todays flight, not yesterdays).
Indeed; I read the OP as "just denied boarding" instead of "just called to tell me" about the denied boarding.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA 1k, SW A-list
Hello! I had a strange event happen with United and I'm looking for some opinions!

Summary: Flying standby. Standby cleared and I boarded plane. A couple mins later I was removed from plane and another passenger took my seat. I received no compensation but was able to get on flight with arrival >2hours later.

Details: On 8/2, I was booked to fly IAH to ORD on UA 97 (7:40 – 10:15pm). However, I finished early, so I tried to take an earlier flight. Accepted $75 change fee to be listed standby on UA 1256 (2:52-5:38pm). I was #2 on standby list and three spots opened up. I was given a boarding pass, checked my bag at the gate, and boarded the plane and took my seat.

About 5-10 mins after boarding, a lady boarded the plane with a boarding pass for my seat. She said she had paid for the seat (not flying standby). The flight attendants and gate agents were very confused. After a short discussion, the gate agents told me I had to leave the plane. I left the plane and they gave my seat to the lady who had boarded after me.

The gate agents simply said that there had been a system error and that there was nothing they could do. I was given no compensation, but I was listed as #1 standby on UA 1967 (4:40-7:40pm) and I was able to get on that flight.

Is this considered IDB since I had already boarded, even though I was flying standby? I messaged United the day after, but I haven’t received a response. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.