Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by satori101
She says because there is Standard availability in I on this segment and all other segments of the return are booked in I, it's forcing the entire return trip to price out as a Standard Award.
If the agent really said that, it's HUACA right there.

As mherdeg noted, there is no such thing as "Standard availability in I." All I is saver business inventory. By definition.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like UA is copying DL's additive award pricing, back when we had award charts.
I've been getting a lot of that too recently.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Check this thread, lots of regulars who fly this route post here.
Thank you !
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like UA is copying DL's additive award pricing, back when we had award charts.
UA copying DL?!
I am shocked to hear this.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Are stopovers still allowed on an award between the Continental US and Hawaii? I'm helping a friend plan a trip from the East Coast to Hawaii, and particularly on the return flight, he may want to do a stopover in SFO/LAX/ORD (or at least an overnight, which would be longer than the standard domestic 4 hour layover limit, but potentially less than 24 hours).

I see that a recent similar question was asked, but I did not see an answer.

Can anyone confirm the official rules on layover duration/stopovers for an award from the Continental US to Hawaii?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
United award rule, is free one way still possible?

I booked a lot of round trip award ticket on united with free one way before devaluation. Recently I tried to use this book another round trip ticket and always show error. Is free one way still possible on round trip award ticket?

LAX-PEK-LAX and I want to add LAX-HNL as a free one way. But it always shows error.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:10 pm

Stopover at point of origin often fails. Backtracking to Hawaii like that likely to fail, also.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
call in and ask.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Stopover at point of origin often fails. Backtracking to Hawaii like that likely to fail, also.
Indeed. This false aspect of "free one-ways" by the blogs is a pet peeve of mine. It is a stopover, not a free one-way - and is region-specific. HNL is not part of the same region as LAX is.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Up thread I am reading about a 4 segment limit. The wiki says:

"Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24 hours is allowable)."

I am trying to do a round trip award ticket from the US to Europe with one stopover and about 7 or 8 layovers (less than 24 hours). Is this going to work? Maybe I am not clear on the terminology relating to layovers and segments. Thank you!

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:59 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:37 am

Location: Born in TPE, moved to America in 1978, now living in MSY since 1987.
Wow, I could book a MileagePlus award ticket with a 2 day stopover in IST on TK and literally go around the world for 70,000 points!
1/11/2016: MSY-IAH-TPE
1/25/2016: TPE-IST
1/28/2016: IST-SFO

OAK-MSY one way WN on 2/2/2016.

That's one way I could burn up MileageMinus miles and then see if I could find refuge in BR.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by sbm12
Stopover at point of origin often fails.
FWIW I was able to do this no problem on 24 May 2015. Outbound was RDU->Europe. Inbound was Europe -> RDU (stopover) -> SFO.

Had to call. The agent said he didn't think I could return to a different city (SFO) than I departed from (RDU) but I asked him to try it and the computer priced it just fine at 60K miles.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dordal
FWIW I was able to do this no problem on 24 May 2015. Outbound was RDU->Europe. Inbound was Europe -> RDU (stopover) -> SFO.

Had to call. The agent said he didn't think I could return to a different city (SFO) than I departed from (RDU) but I asked him to try it and the computer priced it just fine at 60K miles.
Most of the problems seem to arise when people try to OJ into a different region. Though there seem to be no absolute rules in either direction.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question How to Book Round Trip to Europe from CA w/ Free 1-way to Hawaii After Returning

Hi there -

I have 130K+ Chase Points I want to book a flight for 2 people to Europe from California.

It looks like the best value is transferring to United and flying out of LAX or SFO to Paris or London.

I would love to then go to Hawaii afterwards within a month or so and take advantage of the open Jaw or stopover or whatever you call it?

LAX or SFO ----> Paris or London

Paris or London ---- > Rome

Rome ----> LAX or SFO

LAX of SFO ------> OGG or HNL

Is this even possible to do for an itinerary like this?

I read something similar in a blog and hope to use 60K or 62.5K to accomplish this to Hawaii but using California as the origin instead of Newark:

Would very much appeciate any expert advice anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance

RB ^
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rb23lb
Is this even possible to do for an itinerary like this?

I read something similar in a blog ....
"free OW" - at one this was easily accomplished and the blogger flogged it. UA seems to be a stop to this (stopovers at origin) -- although there are occasional reports of success.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.