Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You buy a refundable ticket, then buy the miles, then cancel the ticket. It's a tried and true practice
Ah... I just was quoted $595 to buy 17k which is what I need which is higher than what you quoted. I am booking it for real now!!!

By the way, I can book ANY refundable ticket, right? Doesn't have to be my intended route, right?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dathinker
I can book ANY refundable ticket, right? Doesn't have to be my intended route, right?
Yes. The Accelerator thread (this one and the 2014 thread) provide more details on how people get the better offers.

I'm currently getting the 2.1 cent offer on a domestic itinerary. It was 1.9 cpm on my last international ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Europe Award 2 Open Jaw 1 Stopover

Hello,

I tried to book the following trip over the phone and online and was not successful.

yyc-lhr ac 850 june 6
First Open Jaw

trs-muc lh1937 dep 17:00 july 26
muc-haj lh 2098 july 27

Second Open Jaw

ham-fra lh21 aug13
fra-tls lh1098 aug 13

Stopover

tls-fra lh 1095 aug 22
fra-yyc ac845 aug 22

Have things changed? I thought you were allowed one stopover and two openjaws. This is all on Y.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
.... I thought you were allowed one stopover and two openjaws. ....
yes but the OJs are not independent, so your proposal is not valid -- the OJs must be at the origin or destination (or sometimes the stopover). An OJ effective creates a stop if not already part of a stop.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:16 am

thanks WineCountry

I am trying to get to the following places on one Y award, LHR, CDG, AMS, HAM, DUB, TLS and TRS. Obviously one ticket will not get me to all of them. What could it do for me? I am used to Aeroplan where you get three stopovers.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
thanks WineCountry

I am trying to get to the following places on one Y award, LHR, CDG, AMS, HAM, DUB, TLS and TRS. Obviously one ticket will not get me to all of them. What could it do for me? I am used to Aeroplan where you get three stopovers.
Fly into LHR and out of TRS and take the train in between. (And possibly an LCC to DUB and/or TRS.)

It's craziness to fly in between LHR/AMS/CDG/HAM/TLS.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:35 am

that is essentially a round trip with one open jaw. Why did I think there was two open jaws and one stopover allowed?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:15 am

that is essentially a round trip with one open jaw. Why did I think there was two open jaws and one stopover allowed?
You can do a stopover, i.e. DUB/stop/LHR/OJ/CDG. Your second OJ can only be at origin; it's not reasonably likely you can book an OJ at the destination and the stopover.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
So question. WHat happens if i have a valid award itinerary and mid trip i decide to change a flight that makes it invalid(i.e. one of the stops is now longer than 24s for example). what happens?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by njxbean
So question. WHat happens if i have a valid award itinerary and mid trip i decide to change a flight that makes it invalid(i.e. one of the stops is now longer than 24s for example). what happens?
Simple. You won't be able to book it. (At least not theoretically - occasionally errors are made.)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Simple. You won't be able to book it. (At least not theoretically - occasionally errors are made.)
Gotcha. so if i am doing OLCI for example and go to choose another flight, it simply wont let me choose a flight that breaks the rules?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by njxbean
Gotcha. so if i am doing OLCI for example and go to choose another flight, it simply wont let me choose a flight that breaks the rules?
or it will reprice it as a more expensive combination of awards. Some had success using SDC to extent a stay but that is a day at a time and only UA operated flights and requires inventory
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
or it will reprice it as a more expensive combination of awards. Some had success using SDC to extent a stay but that is a day at a time and only UA operated flights and requires inventory
That SDC approach to extend stays sounds risky and a quick way to find oneself in an inventory deadend.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
Should be OK; just call it in to get the multi-city trip booked. The website doesn't handle those nearly as well as it used to.
Anyone please tell me how much this award should cost?

TYS-IAD-LHR-FRA (stopover)
FRA-ICN (destination)
(OJ) PUS-PEK-ORD-TYS.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by zainman
Anyone please tell me how much this award should cost?

TYS-IAD-LHR-FRA (stopover)
FRA-ICN (destination)
(OJ) PUS-PEK-ORD-TYS.
Already answered you here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.