Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Refunding Award Tickets (as Plat, 1K, GS)

According to United, as a plat, 1K or GS I can cancel my award ticket and redeposit miles for new fee (as long as within 1 year of original booking).

Does this still work if I miss the flight? Or do I forfeit the miles by missing the flight?

For normal tickets, you can always refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as you haven't flown (so missing the flight and refunding is okay).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bigwings8
According to United, as a plat, 1K or GS I can cancel my award ticket and redeposit miles for new fee (as long as within 1 year of original booking).

Does this still work if I miss the flight? Or do I forfeit the miles by missing the flight?

For normal tickets, you can always refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as you haven't flown (so missing the flight and refunding is okay).
In theory, even after missing the flight, you can redeposit.

But I'd never wait until then - it's not right to keep abusing that privilege.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... For normal tickets, you can always refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as you haven't flown (so missing the flight and refunding is okay).
Not true for non-refundable tickets. You have 24 hours or till flight departure. (BTW DoT rules do not cover tickets purchased less than 7 days before travel but UA does cover close in purchases).

Also, award tickets have the same 24 hour purchase protection from UA. But have the added benefit they can be refunded after departure if not used (fee based on status of the mileage provider).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2015 at 6:04 pm Reason: re-phased
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not true for non-refundable tickets. You have 24 hours or till flight departure. (BTW DoT rules do not cover tickets purchased less than 7 days before travel but UA does cover close in purchases).

Also, award tickets have the same 24 hour purchase protection from UA. But have the added benefit they can be refunded after departure if not used (fee based on status of the mileage provider).
Re. Non-refundable tickets, I didn't realize that. Is it mentioned somewhere on UA's site? I guess I got lucky the one time I bought a ticket day of at the airport, missed the flight, got a refund at the checkin desk.

Re. award tickets. Is there a time limit for refunding? For 1K, UA's site says up to a year. If I bought a ticket for tomorrow, didn't fly, then could I still refund it July 20, 2016?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Re. Non-refundable tickets, I didn't realize that. Is it mentioned somewhere on UA's site? If I bought a ticket for tomorrow, didn't fly, then could I still refund it July 20, 2016?
It's in the fare rules. Discount fares almost always say that if you don't cancel before first departure, you lose the value of the ticket.

The more expensive fares often do not have this restriction.

If I bought a ticket for tomorrow, didn't fly, then could I still refund it July 20, 2016?
I don't understand why anyone would deliberately do that.

It takes about 90 seconds on the website to cancel a reservation.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand why anyone would deliberately do that.

It takes about 90 seconds on the website to cancel a reservation.
It was just a mental exercise. I just want to make sure that I'll be able to cancel the award reso up to say, a week, after if I miss the flight. Not actually planning to wait a year.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:15 am

24 Hour cancelation on award tickets

Do I have 24 hours to cancel an award ticket and get the miles redeposited without paying the change fee, or once I push the button to buy I own them?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have 24 hours. But if you bought miles to top-up the account - that is a done deal.

Last edited by aacharya; Jul 30, 2015 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:35 am

I own the ticket and I have to pay the $200? Or I have the 24 hour cancel window?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have the 24-hour window.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:52 pm

OK. Called and no charge. I was worried.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Changing an award ticket from Coach to first

I have an award coach ticket booked for Sept from SFO to Austin.Is there a way that I can give up more miles and move to first? When I go into the reservation and click on change seats, it does not allow me to access first class.

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You would basically be looking at a new award.

Do you have platinum or 1K status? If so, you can change the award for free.

Otherwise, there is a fee ($150?) plus the miles for the new award.

Is there space available on the flights you want?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zrs70
Do you have platinum or 1K status? If so, you can change the award for free.

Otherwise, there is a fee ($150?) plus the miles for the new award.
Assuming no change to the O/D pair the fee is $75 outside of 21 days from travel and $100 inside 21 days. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You can check this yourself at any time.

Login to united.com
Find the reservation
Select "change flights"
Leave the date the same and hit enter

You'll get a grid showing all the flights, whether there are award seats available and how many more miles and money it would cost you to change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.