Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy-Up UA MileagePlus Elite Status Promotion - Jan/Feb 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy-Up UA MileagePlus Elite Status Promotion - Jan/Feb 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:08 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I guess UA is just throwing these offers out there to many persons, hoping someone will take the bait. A Gold membership...what can that cost UA?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by mkr
... A Gold membership...what can that cost UA?
A whole lot less than $2299
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
Well I'm not even tempted. I am still undecided over whether I'm sticking with UA/Star for my (ostensibly leisure) travels or going on cost/convenience.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:24 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Of course, a Gold member gets 2 bags checked free & E+ seating at time of reservation, plus companions get E+ seating. But according to the vast majority of input in these threads it is very rare for a Gold member to get a CPU. I guess Gold would pay off for someone who made a lot of short haul trips for saving on E+ & bag fees.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mkr
I guess Gold would pay off for someone who made a lot of short haul trips for saving on E+ & bag fees.
...but even then the $99 explorer card would pay bag fees.

My devaluing mid-tier elite benefits, increasing credit card incentives and reduced value of miles, United has reduced loyalty for those of us who do not aspire to be GS.

I actually think that this quite customer friendly---with no expectation of an upgrade I can get the DL+AA+UA credit cards for $300/year and have priority boarding plus free bags on all the oligopoly airlines. Also, I can always choose the best combination of flight time and price.

IMHO A big part of what drives the economics of the American domestic air market is the rivalry between Chase, Citibank and American Express. It turns out that they can leverage Mileage Plus, AAdvantage and SkyMiles respectively as loss leaders for much higher margin financial services products. This fundamentally drives the pivot in focus from selling tickets to credit cards.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: United Silver
Guess they didn't want to offer me a buy up to gold. I was short PQM and way over PQD.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1) I wish UA hadn't have caved in on giving GPUs and RPUs w/ the buy ups.
2) I wish UA would just stick with the mileage and $ requirements needed for each level. Status matches and status challenges (to a lesser degree) I feel are valid shortcuts to status.

The buy-uos just cheapen the process and bloats the levels with people the real qualifiers should bot have to compete with for benefits.

Anyone who buys a status level has absolutely no basis to complain about how cheap or what a money-grabber UA is any other respect, because this is basically the same thing. ToD takes away your seat? You have NOTHING to complain about - it's just UA cheapening the process/benefit for more money.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 23, 2015 at 9:46 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Retain Silver Status? Ludicrous offer received.

By way of background, I was a 1P. I didn't fly very much with United last year, and am moving all my business to OneWorld... at least until Smisek leaves and United smartens up.

Anyway, I got an email this morning saying "Retain your Silver Status!" Which was odd, because I wasn't a Silver... but anyway...

I can buy back into Silver status - "With Complimentary Economy Plus at Check In" and "Upgrades that Clear 24 Hours Prior to Departure."

All for the low, low price of $2,199.

Good luck, United. Good luck.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 am

What's a 1P?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Premier Gold, PG, or just Gold: 50,000 PQMs or 60 segments in a calendar year (and unless waived USD $5,000 $6,000 {2015} PQDs). Was called 1P, Premier Executive in premerger UA program.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:33 am Reason: Cos I just read the post below :)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
What's a 1P?
pmUA shorthand for Premier Exec (50k to 99.9K mile level) -- typically Gold in the present system.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html

Silver was 2P

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Platinum.
after the merger some initially used 0P for Plat (to extend the pmUA terms) -- but did not stick
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 am
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boogie711
By way of background, I was a 1P. I didn't fly very much with United last year, and am moving all my business to OneWorld... at least until Smisek leaves and United smartens up.

Anyway, I got an email this morning saying "Retain your Silver Status!" Which was odd, because I wasn't a Silver... but anyway...

I can buy back into Silver status - "With Complimentary Economy Plus at Check In" and "Upgrades that Clear 24 Hours Prior to Departure."

All for the low, low price of $2,199.

Good luck, United. Good luck.

That's an email I'd like to see...would you mind posting a copy?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkr
That's an email I'd like to see...would you mind posting a copy?
The e-mail (wife dropped from Silver to General) doesn't have it - once one clicks on the link and logs in, then the offer is in there.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
1) I wish UA hadn't have caved in on giving GPUs and RPUs w/ the buy ups.

The buy-ups just cheapen the process and bloats the levels with people the real qualifiers should not have to compete with for benefits.
I get your point. But...

My company paid the $3200 for my buy-up to 1K this year i.e. AT 89k EQM - I was short 11K miles. so the buy-up saved me the hassle of flying to Singapore for a long weekend on a mileage run for $1800 fare. Given that I saved on hotel bills and shabu-shabu bills (plus charity cases) that I would have incurred during such a mileage run - I would say - a win/win for all involved.

Me humble apologies to the so-called "real qualifiers".

BTW - I flew to JAPAN and back in UA *G GLOBAL FIRST.

On the flight to JAPAN - I flew ANA - Star Alliance. Great flight; great service. The purser was able to provide caviar from the "english" menu as an appy - and then I enjoyed the full Japanese menu. When I landed in Tokyo - the purser came and kneeled/bowed at my feet - and thanked me profusely for flying ANA. The remaining staff also thanked me by name on my walk out the door. A bit much - but - I was amazed.

On the flight back FROM Tokyo - on United Global First - I was amazed too. For different reasons. Few examples: When the cheese cart came round - I was asked which cheeses would I prefer?

"I'll have just a taste of the Brie and some water crackers, please."

"Oh. Which one is the brie? We don't get much training on cheese around here. Which cracker? "

And then even though I had agreed to be awakened for breakfast - I found myself waking up by myself - and from the time I awoke - to the time I stepped off the plane in USA - not one single FA spoke to me. Not one to offer coffee. Not to offer breakfast. Not to say good morning. Not to say thank you. Not to say goodbye. Nothing. And this was 747 upper deck GLOBAL FIRST.

The contrast was stark. And I realize these are "first world" complaints.

But seriously - why did I just now pay $3200 for buy-up to 1K?

If the level of service is not aligned - then well - nuff said...

Color me "a fool and his money"...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:03 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by FrequentFryer
But seriously - why did I just now pay $3200 for buy-up to 1K?
You didn't, your company did so, cough, don't worry about it, cough.

But I do get your point totally. Last year we took an award flight LHR-CHC-LHR and it was my first experience of Thai Airways, well, the staff were so nice, so friendly, so willing to do anything to help and so darn efficient in every single aspect on-board I would certainly fly them again without any hesitation. I just bought 3 tickets on Singapore Air so I am looking forward to that going LHR-CHC-LHR over Christmas, everyone seems to rave about it. Was trying to hang on for award travel but would rather pay than go through the stress of waiting to see what opens up - well that's what my wife told me to do, so be it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.