Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Calling out pmCO ff'ers - IAH history / pictures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

This may seem like an odd question, but as the pmCO forum has long since been closed, I'm asking here. I'm calling out pmCO FF'ers, but of course, UA FF'ers are also welcome to answer if they have the knowledge.

What was IAH like pre-2005 or so? I've read online that Terminal E was opened around 2005 (the new, big spacious terminal), and that Terminal C also got some renovations. Looking at some reports around 2002, IAH was reported as crowded, clausophobic, and dumpy/ugly/old. Obviously, when I passed through IAH, it felt spacious, modern, and clean. I do remember venturing through the old Terminal B (the "X") in 2006, but I've heard that has since then been demolished and replaced with a completely new terminal, but I still remember C/E from 2006. Someone said online that "C is so much better than it used to be" in 2005. It intrigued me. I've always been interested in how buildings evolve and change over time.

Does anyone have pictures of IAH before all the newness? Also, can people share what IAH looked like, as well?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Sorry no pictures but I did connect through IAH quite a bit in the mid-90's. The C terminal wasn't a lot different then than it is now. The moving walkways between the North and South concourses was built late 90's/ early 00's, IIRC. The shops and restaurants that are located at the cross-walks in the North and South concourses are different, and there weren't as many shops down by the gates. The bars in the hallways weren't there either. All in all, though, Terminal C back in the mid-90's was pretty much like it is today.

The train between terminals didn't exist. You took a bus between C and B. I think the bus station was in the South concourse. The B terminal was one of the original IAH terminals when it opened back in 1969. I remember taking one of the first ERJ-145 flights between IAH and CRP and thinking how great it was not having to fly the ATR-72. Little did I know what was coming...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Unfortunately no pictures and I was too young to kind of remember.

Terminal E was a huge project. C is no different from the way it was before,maybe other than a few touch ups and United advertisements on the wall. One thing C did change was they remodeled the food court they have in terminal C.

E was like the biggest thing there was for Houston. A and B was not really ever used.

Every other year you will see enhancements made to the exterior of the airport (the long road before you goto different sides of the airport) They added flags, than some architecture.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
peripherally related question:

when did those electric carts start appearing at IAH? i've been amused by them and watching them nearly mow people down (apart from when they nearly do it to me). wondering about the carts about in 2010 led me to FT via Google. i've been through IAH 130+ times now over the past few years.

on another side note on IAH enthusiasts, i think the stories about people trying to find and access Gordon's Galley are also pretty random. post about it on FT and they will come....
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It was darker and dingier before, but the layout is the same.

They updated the floors, ceilings, lighting, paint, furniture, signage, etc., and brightened it up a bit. They also put in those CO multi-color LED boards to give it that CO retro look.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:28 pm

Before E opened it didn't look much different, at least early 2000s.

They just raised the ceiling a bit and changed some vendors later on.

If you want retro go to the Mickey Leland terminal.

Or take the landslide tram underground (does it still exist). Was like a kids science project replicating Tron with an Erector set.

Or fly out of SFO - the main pier there is unchanged from the late 70s aside from a couple cycles of carpet. It was designed well though.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:32 pm

And looks like that landslide tram still exists and was installed by Disney.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bush_Intercontinental_Airport_inter-terminal_train

Right up there with LAX tunnels in the anachronism department.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And looks like that landslide tram still exists and was installed by Disney.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg...terminal_train

Right up there with LAX tunnels in the anachronism department.
Yep, it's there. I was on it a few weeks ago, and it takes curves quickly!! Felt like I was at Disney World for a minute...

I think the rest of the airport looks pretty good. It is bright, with wide enough hallways (in E, at least). B is much better than before. Brighter, better seating, more food choices, etc. I don't spend a lot of time sitting around in C, other than in the UC when I have to.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
If you want retro go to the Mickey Leland terminal.
...or MCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.