Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC

SYD-SFO is cancelled today (Wed Jan 7) due to aircraft maintenance.

Luckily, I bought my tickets late and had to choose Air Canada instead to find a reasonable Z class ticket. This could have been my first flight cancellation is almost half a million miles
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:01 pm

UA98 LAX-MEL Jan 5 departure 11 hours delayed.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
SYD-SFO is cancelled today (Wed Jan 7) due to aircraft maintenance.

Luckily, I bought my tickets late and had to choose Air Canada instead to find a reasonable Z class ticket. This could have been my first flight cancellation is almost half a million miles
Through one of those flukes of travel, some of those inconvenienced pax are able to take advantage of the huge delay of the MEL-LAX flight and get home without waiting a full 24 hours.

BAD DOG UNITED!

Lurker
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I chatted to some passengers that had been accommodated on QF via YVR.
Apparently, the Dreamliners have had problems taking off in MEL (because it was too hot?) for 4 days. Some passengers were transferred to SYD on QF on Wed and then the SYD-SFO flight was cancelled on Wed as well. 1K and GS passengers were automatically rebooked first. Availability on UA flights out of SYD is close to 0 for the next few days.

I met one 1P+ passenger who was re-accommodated in Y on QF and had to pay $700 bag fees for his three heavy bags. Ouch.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Apparently, the Dreamliners have had problems taking off in MEL (because it was too hot?) for 4 days.
The only days where heat might have been an issue were last Friday and Saturday, both days got to around 100F. Fridays flight went out OK, but Saturday was canceled "due to aircraft maintenance".

Looking at the performance charts for the 787, at sea level (MEL is 132 metres AMSL) and at 100F they are slightly restricted in terms of weight, but more importantly the runway length needed increases to longer than MEL has, so there would be an even further weight restriction to comply with that.

Still doesn't sound like a good reason to actually cancel though - a fuel stop at HNL would seem to make more sense...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
The only days where heat might have been an issue were last Friday and Saturday, both days got to around 100F. Fridays flight went out OK, but Saturday was canceled "due to aircraft maintenance".

Looking at the performance charts for the 787, at sea level (MEL is 132 metres AMSL) and at 100F they are slightly restricted in terms of weight, but more importantly the runway length needed increases to longer than MEL has, so there would be an even further weight restriction to comply with that.

Still doesn't sound like a good reason to actually cancel though - a fuel stop at HNL would seem to make more sense...
Ah yes, I think it was something to do with fuel and weight. I only heard this from another passenger, so I don't have the full details.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I believe the reason for the cancelation last Saturday was because one of the engines wouldn't start. Aircraft 3951 eventually flew back to LAX and has been sitting since then.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
18/1/15 UA839 LAX-SYD Cancelled (Flightaware)

I am out of SYD tomorrow on UA870 (SYD-SFO) and just doing my routine check of flight status. According to FlightAware, UA839 (LAX-SYD) has been cancelled tonight which means likely that UA840 departing SYD tomorrow (20/1/15) is also cancelled unless UA switches the game plan. Not sure what the problem was but despite changing equipment from 744 to 777 the run of cancellations and delays on the SYD route continues.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IainC
I am out of SYD tomorrow on UA870 (SYD-SFO) and just doing my routine check of flight status. According to FlightAware, UA839 (LAX-SYD) has been cancelled tonight which means likely that UA840 departing SYD tomorrow (20/1/15) is also cancelled unless UA switches the game plan. Not sure what the problem was but despite changing equipment from 744 to 777 the run of cancellations and delays on the SYD route continues.
UA840 departing the 20th is indeed canceled. Looks like both 870 and 840 were fairly full, and even 99 is full up the back.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:52 am

UA840 departing the 20th is indeed canceled. Looks like both 870 and 840 were fairly full, and even 99 is full up the back.
Yes, UA870 was already full with only a few seats left in E+. It's not going to be a pleasant day for UA or the passengers at Kingsford-Smith tomorrow. Likely, UAs SYD ambassador extraordinaire Annie will be summonsed to work the front lines.

Last edited by IainC; Jan 19, 2015 at 2:55 am Reason: correct typo
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As per my Corpo booking tooL;

2UA840/20JAN«
UA RESPONSE
0840/20JAN
N SYD/LX MAINTENANCE
N LAX/LX MAINTENANCE

SKED SYD ORIG 1140A GTD SHIP 2817
LAX 630A TERM GTA
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:48 pm

Arrived at Kingsford-Smith International (SYD) today expecting chaos following the cancellation of UA840 (SYD-LAX). Surprised to find all calm and quiet, in fact Mrs IainC and I only ones checking in at 11:30 am for our UA870 (SYD-SFO) flight. Asked the agent what gives for the passengers from the cancelled UA840 and she indicated that they had all been accommodated on other flights. That's great for the UA840 passengers, I guess UA here in SYD has plenty of experience now at dealing with these episodes and helped by the fact that the UA SYD-MEL-SYD flights no longer operate.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IainC
Arrived at Kingsford-Smith International (SYD) today expecting chaos following the cancellation of UA840 (SYD-LAX). Surprised to find all calm and quiet, in fact Mrs IainC and I only ones checking in at 11:30 am for our UA870 (SYD-SFO) flight. Asked the agent what gives for the passengers from the cancelled UA840 and she indicated that they had all been accommodated on other flights. That's great for the UA840 passengers, I guess UA here in SYD has plenty of experience now at dealing with these episodes and helped by the fact that the UA SYD-MEL-SYD flights no longer operate.
Obviously you live in Australia and can correct me if I'm wrong, but my recent experience in MEL and a SYD experience years ago left me feeling like everything was a relative calm in Australia compared to the USA. A normal DEN-LAX is a stressful event, but I didn't feel that in MEL, all while there had been recent MEL-LAX issues.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:11 pm

UA840 (SYD-LAX) Diverted to HNL (2/2)

Does anyone know what happened?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA840
Does anyone know what happened?
Planned Fuel Stop:

0840/02FEB
P SYD/OUT 1141A L00.01 ☨
P SYD/OFF 1208P
P HNL/ON 1242A
P HNL/IN 1249A
P HNL/OUT 142A
P HNL/OFF 200A
P LAX/ON 829A
P LAX/IN 840A L02.10 ☨
D FCF/FSTOP HNL ENRT SYD-LAX A/PLANNED FUEL STOP
D HDQ/HNL LAX PROT UNDER GG CN2 Q62☨
D HDQ/HNL LAX PROT UNDER GG CN2 Q62

SKED SYD ORIG 1140A GTD 51 SHIP 2792
LAX 630A TERM GTA TBIT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.