Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extreme delays in lost luggage delivery at EWR

Extreme delays in lost luggage delivery at EWR

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion | UA*G Premier
Thumbs down Extreme delays in lost luggage delivery at EWR

Because of weather, my flight from JAX to EWR was canceled on Jan 6 and I was put on JAX-IAD-EWR. My luggage was originally tagged for EWR direct and then it was retagged manually. Consequently, it was left at IAD and I had to file a claim. They said it would be 24h (which it usually is), but now I was told on the phone that due to severe delays the delivery window for the New York metropolitan area is 2-3 days.

Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point. Wheresmysuitcase.com does not have a phone number and United Luggage Services says they can't even get ahold of them.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by patryktomaszewski
Because of weather, my flight from JAX to EWR was canceled on Jan 6 and I was put on JAX-IAD-EWR. My luggage was originally tagged for EWR direct and then it was retagged manually. Consequently, it was left at IAD and I had to file a claim. They said it would be 24h (which it usually is), but now I was told on the phone that due to severe delays the delivery window for the New York metropolitan area is 2-3 days.

Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point. Wheresmysuitcase.com does not have a phone number and United Luggage Services says they can't even get ahold of them.

Thanks for your help!
The number for Where's My Suitcase is (800) 221-6903. However it's most likely going to redirect you to contact United directly.

I'd also send a separate email to Customer Relations about this inconvenience, and seek compensation. This would also be a good time to invoke the travel benefits your credit card may offer if you have a travel rewards credit card that you purchased this airfare with.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point.
Everything's relative - be thankful you didn't go through DEN. Hundreds of bags have disappeared into the matrix, and resolution may take weeks, not days.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
The number for Where's My Suitcase is (800) 221-6903. However it's most likely going to redirect you to contact United directly.

I'd also send a separate email to Customer Relations about this inconvenience, and seek compensation. This would also be a good time to invoke the travel benefits your credit card may offer if you have a travel rewards credit card that you purchased this airfare with.
Thanks, good advice!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Has the bag actually been handed to the delivery service, or is it still in UA's possession? That does make a difference.

My most recent experience was that my bag arrived before 6am, got handed to the delivery service at 2pm (), then the delivery service futzed around with it until 10pm. Calling WheresMySuitcase before it was given to them was no good; likewise, calling UA after they'd handed it off was not productive.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
So glad to be retired.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
Has the bag actually been handed to the delivery service, or is it still in UA's possession? That does make a difference.

My most recent experience was that my bag arrived before 6am, got handed to the delivery service at 2pm (), then the delivery service futzed around with it until 10pm. Calling WheresMySuitcase before it was given to them was no good; likewise, calling UA after they'd handed it off was not productive.
It has been with Where is My Suitcase since 5PM EST yesterday. It still shows as awaiting the driver assignment and all calls are redirected to UA's service, prompting to use the website to check the status.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
It has been with Where is My Suitcase since 5PM EST yesterday. It still shows as awaiting the driver assignment and all calls are redirected to UA's service, prompting to use the website to check the status.
I've unfortunately had multiple opportunities to use "Where is My Suitcase" lately, and not once has it actually coincided with the location/status of my bag.

You'll find it's pretty much impossible to extract local station numbers as well. They really don't want random people calling the local station.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't call 2-3 days for EWR baggage delivery "extreme"... sadly more like standard.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Isn't there some company that sells an RFID tag that you can put into your bag and track it independently at any time? Perhaps UA should offer this instead of the shrinking plastic tags they're sending out to top tier MP members?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Isn't there some company that sells an RFID tag that you can put into your bag and track it independently at any time?
No, there isn't, because nobody has RFID readers covering the globe.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by mduell
No, there isn't, because nobody has RFID readers covering the globe.
But, there is a GPS tracking system designed for luggage
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
I wouldn't call 2-3 days for EWR baggage delivery "extreme"... sadly more like standard.
+1.^ Pretty hyperbolic title.

I had a five day bag delay by AF this past summer. I guess that would be humongous gigantic delay? Consider yourself extremely lucky if you bag shows up within one day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.