Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K for a week (yearend 2014) but no GPU/RPUs yet??? (UPDATE: Now posting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K for a week (yearend 2014) but no GPU/RPUs yet??? (UPDATE: Now posting)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by erwin123
Could this be related to the issue of GPU / RPU not posting ?
Not sure about that... I called yesterday to have two 2015 GPUs extended to the end of April and the transaction posted as two redemptions followed by two deposits within minutes.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
3 GPUs deposited

So I called MPSC and had to tell them that I needed to book travel now, played dumb and told them that I was hoping to use my GPUs but found out they were not in my account. The service rep contacted the supervisor and lo' and behold, three GPUs appeared in my account. However, I was warned several times that this is an exception and that as soon as the "regular" GPUs will be deposited into my account in 7-10 days from today, these will be clawed back...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
So I called MPSC and had to tell them that I needed to book travel now, played dumb and told them that I was hoping to use my GPUs but found out they were not in my account. The service rep contacted the supervisor and lo' and behold, three GPUs appeared in my account. However, I was warned several times that this is an exception and that as soon as the "regular" GPUs will be deposited into my account in 7-10 days from today, these will be clawed back...
After 30 minutes on the phone I get a supervisor who goes on a whole spiel then says "we don't have any way to do this"

I am shocked at how you can get them but not me. I mean UG to SYD/MEL is open now for my dates and who knows how long these GPU's will take, damn I'm angry.....
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by whitethunder
After 30 minutes on the phone I get a supervisor who goes on a whole spiel then says "we don't have any way to do this"

I am shocked at how you can get them but not me. I mean UG to SYD/MEL is open now for my dates and who knows how long these GPU's will take, damn I'm angry.....
I am shocked that promised GPUs/RPUs are not delivered 10 days after people attained their status.

Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
I am shocked that promised GPUs/RPUs are not delivered 10 days after people attained their status.
Perhaps they are lost among all the displaced luggage at DEN.

This airline, despite the recently profitable quarter, seems to be increasing in dysfunction.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Sometimes with UA you have to give them an ultimatum.

1. Tell them how long you've been working on it (to demonstrate good faith)
2. Tell them the desired solution (which is something you're entitled to anyway)
3. Tell them the consequence to not providing said solution (the ultimatum)
4. Tell them how long they have to do it (the timeframe)

Example: Good afternoon. I apologize in advance for my frustration on this, but this is now my third call on this matter, and I'm really hoping that you can help me get this resolved. I requalified for 1K a week and a half ago, but United hasn't posted my global upgrades yet. They usually post in a day or two, but I know how Continental's computer systems can be erratic at times, and now we're going on a week and a half, and I really need this resolved.

I have a ticket to Australia I just purchased under Record Locator ABC123. I would like to upgrade that now with the globals that I earned because there are upgrade seats available. It is currently 2:00 PM, and I have to run to a meeting at 2:30 PM. Seeing that I've already invested so much time into this issue, I would like for those globals to be deposited in my account before I must leave, otherwise I need to move on. I only have so much time in a day to be a SHARES victim, ya know? *chuckle*

My plan is to refund this ticket and buy a ticket on Delta instead if I can't get this resolved on this call.

Is this something you can help with?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
i havent had my additional 2 GPU and RPU for 50k miles added to my account when i crossed the mark on 12/30

kinda sucks
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I just called. They say the sweep won't occur until Sunday the 11th
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Hilarious that we are all getting different answers when it comes to the date. Has anyone else had experience with them manually adding them (other than the "exception" above)?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
From what I understand end of year qualifications are hard. Partner earnings for 12/31 may take a few days to post. By the time they post in January, the auto-qualifications system is looking at a PQM balance of 0.

Thus a manual sweep (likely a program) is required to re-calculate everyone's status as of 12/31 with the info available on 1/11. I've qualified late in December with a mileage run before and it has always been this way. One year my status wasn't updated until Feb.

Waiting until 1/11 offers a safeguard to ensure all partner mileage from the end of Dec has posted. Running it earlier would require running it again later, etc. They had to pick a date, and apparently 1/11 is that date.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Sometimes with UA you have to give them an ultimatum.

1. Tell them how long you've been working on it (to demonstrate good faith)
2. Tell them the desired solution (which is something you're entitled to anyway)
3. Tell them the consequence to not providing said solution (the ultimatum)
4. Tell them how long they have to do it (the timeframe)

Example: Good afternoon. I apologize in advance for my frustration on this, but this is now my third call on this matter, and I'm really hoping that you can help me get this resolved. I requalified for 1K a week and a half ago, but United hasn't posted my global upgrades yet. They usually post in a day or two, but I know how Continental's computer systems can be erratic at times, and now we're going on a week and a half, and I really need this resolved.

I have a ticket to Australia I just purchased under Record Locator ABC123. I would like to upgrade that now with the globals that I earned because there are upgrade seats available. It is currently 2:00 PM, and I have to run to a meeting at 2:30 PM. Seeing that I've already invested so much time into this issue, I would like for those globals to be deposited in my account before I must leave, otherwise I need to move on. I only have so much time in a day to be a SHARES victim, ya know? *chuckle*

My plan is to refund this ticket and buy a ticket on Delta instead if I can't get this resolved on this call.

Is this something you can help with?
I love this! My tactic was slightly different and was to sound completely surprised by saying "well, I was trying to find the GPUs but could not see them in my account and I know they should be there"... It worked for me...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While I don't doubt that the agent used the word, "sweep" it's not a sweep in the traditional sense when the whole system has basically been shut down for two weeks.

To the extent traditional issuance of GPU/RPU is based on a "sweep," it runs at least daily in the normal course. Thus the very brief delay in the normal course (24-48 hours) between clearing a mileage threshold and deposit of instruments.

For whatever reason, UA froze that process on or about December 30 or 31. This is not at all normal or business as usual. We can speculate it has something to do with PQD's, but the fact that there may be issues with some small number of accounts does not explain why the whole system has basically shutdown. IMO this is pretty clearly a breakdown of one sort or another.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
And on the 12th, they'll claim this mysterious "sweep" hasn't happened yet...

Hate to say it, but HUACA. They can definitely post you 2 GPUs manually, and IME, they will claw back 2 of the others when they finally issue.

I have had them do this with RPUs before, though it took 3 calls or so until I got someone willing to do so. (My RPU hadn't cleared, and 48 hours later still hadn't recredited, and was going to expire in 72 hours, when my next flight was and which had available "R" space at that very moment.)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by johnden
From what I understand end of year qualifications are hard. Partner earnings for 12/31 may take a few days to post. By the time they post in January, the auto-qualifications system is looking at a PQM balance of 0.

Thus a manual sweep (likely a program) is required to re-calculate everyone's status as of 12/31 with the info available on 1/11. I've qualified late in December with a mileage run before and it has always been this way. One year my status wasn't updated until Feb.

Waiting until 1/11 offers a safeguard to ensure all partner mileage from the end of Dec has posted. Running it earlier would require running it again later, etc. They had to pick a date, and apparently 1/11 is that date.
OK. This sounds plausible.

But PMUA never had such problem?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
OK. This sounds plausible.

But PMUA never had such problem?
Not to turn this into a UA-vs-CO thread, but we all know why it's an issue... PMUA also did not take 72 hours to post credit for their own flights, didn't claw back miles a year later (and retroactively claw back status, etc.), and didn't require we keep ever-more-complex spreadsheets just to make sure their miles posted correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.