Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K for a week (yearend 2014) but no GPU/RPUs yet??? (UPDATE: Now posting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K for a week (yearend 2014) but no GPU/RPUs yet??? (UPDATE: Now posting)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Last flight to push me over 100k hit on Dec29th, still no RPU or GPU
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Looks like UA shut down things till tomorrow to wrap up the EOY re-qualification activities. There is also a note on the Rewards Plus page to that extent. Would wait till eob tomorrow to see if things turn up.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Looks like UA shut down things till tomorrow to wrap up the EOY re-qualification activities. There is also a note on the Rewards Plus page to that extent. Would wait till eob tomorrow to see if things turn up.
The latest from a very nice woman at the MPSC who also spoke to her supervisor is as follows "we hope they [GPUs and RPUs] are in there by the 16th of this month but there are no guarantees"...

I know it is a gamble and no one can say for sure, but what are the chances of me booking a flight for November travel and the R space being gone by the time the GPUs are deposited? Right now, the flight is showing R=7 and it is EWR-MXP before Thanksgiving....I am trying to figure out whether I should buy the tickets and take my chances or wait till the GPUs are deposited to guarantee the upgrade.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2015 at 5:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Amazing that a bunch of late Dec 1K qualifications (shocker!) causes a SHARES kerfuffle. It's not like it's quantum physics to add upgrade instruments to accounts.

Wonders never cease.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Amazing that a bunch of late Dec 1K qualifications (shocker!) causes a SHARES kerfuffle. ....
Why do you think any of this is related to SHARES? My guess the elite management system is a totally different software system. The miles and status has posted but the upgrades have not.

What is odd is this delayed posting has not been an issue in the two previous end of years since the switchover to uniformed elite program.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
I made 1K on Dec 31 and want to use a GPU on a TPAC flight this Saturday HAN-JFK. Unfortunately nothing deposited yet and and the folks I talked to at the MPSC said it could take up to a week. Absolutely ridiculous. So this basically means we don't get our "benefits" for 1 week of the year, which in this case means that it's useless for me to have qualified, since I wanted to use one GPU the first week of the year.

Hoping it posts by Friday and that there is still availability to upgrade on Saturday.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why do you think any of this is related to SHARES? My guess the elite management system is a totally different software system. The miles and status has posted but the upgrades have not.

What is odd is this delayed posting has not been an issue in the two previous end of years since the switchover to uniformed elite program.
Whether it's SHARES or other back-end systems, it's pure incompetence, I'm not sure how there's any defense for it.

It shouldn't be so hard to have some sort of very logic - 1. pass 100K PQM, 2. have 4 UA segments (or have the CC spend waiver, 3. have 10K PQD (waived if outside US) => post GPUs/RPUs.

Same goes for the 2MMs/3MMs who didn't fly their 75K/100K - post the damn RPUs/GPUs. This stuff isn't rocket science.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Amazing that a bunch of late Dec 1K qualifications (shocker!) causes a SHARES kerfuffle. It's not like it's quantum physics to add upgrade instruments to accounts.

Wonders never cease.
from a programming point of view, and a view from a Mainframe manager at a company much larger then UAL

The code to issue RPU/GPU is set to run say once per week to save on MF time
The code checks the current year and then checks the EQM/PQD/PQS and issues GPU/RPU as required

On Dec31st at 11pm (last time it would have run for 2014) the EQM/PQD/PQS had not posted and thus nothing was issued

Then after Jan 1 the code only see's 2015 EQM/EQS/PQD and thus nothing is issued

Sometime after Jan1 the PQM/PQS/PQD that should have posted in 2014 are posted for 2014

Thus the automatic system wont pick it up, thus you have to go into other systems to pull out 2014 and then do some complicated checks about if the customer is eligible for GPU/RPU and have they already been issued etc... you don't want to do this more then once because its manual process and costs $$$$ but you want it to capture as many people as possible because otherwise you depend on $$$ time of your supervisors to issue stuff manually

If UA did some real work... they might find its worth the extra $$$ to run this stuff on an interrupt basis where miles post instantly and GPU/RPU are done instantly
The place I work at found that doing it on some of our rewards products was cheaper than the monthly/weekly runs on a CPU time basis
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
The code to issue RPU/GPU is set to run say once per week to save on MF time
The code checks the current year and then checks the EQM/PQD/PQS and issues GPU/RPU as required
That's not how it works. Instruments typically post within 24-48 hours of clearing each status level (75/100/125, etc.).

There is obviously something broken with UA's system right now.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by seasiaflyer
I made 1K on Dec 31 and want to use a GPU on a TPAC flight this Saturday HAN-JFK. Unfortunately nothing deposited yet and and the folks I talked to at the MPSC said it could take up to a week. Absolutely ridiculous. So this basically means we don't get our "benefits" for 1 week of the year, which in this case means that it's useless for me to have qualified, since I wanted to use one GPU the first week of the year.

Hoping it posts by Friday and that there is still availability to upgrade on Saturday.
I hear you. I just missed an upgrade on a flight that I wanted to upgrade on. There was plenty of R space but now it is 0. I am furious but I really don't know if my fury is going to get me anywhere because UA will take their darn good ol' time depositing these upgrade instruments.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not how it works. Instruments typically post within 24-48 hours of clearing each status level (75/100/125, etc.).

Yes that is correct. I can't specially speak for hitting the 1K piece at end of year as I hit that halfway through the year and the RPU and GPUs posted within 24 hours, but can share I hit a 25k threshold to receive additional RPUs on the 29th of Dec and they posted 24 hours after the flight posted.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
Yes that is correct. I can't specially speak for hitting the 1K piece at end of year as I hit that halfway through the year and the RPU and GPUs posted within 24 hours, but can share I hit a 25k threshold to receive additional RPUs on the 29th of Dec and they posted 24 hours after the flight posted.
Question is - when exactly did your flight post?

Someone made the observation, and I think a good one, that if the flight did not post prior to 12/31/14 11:59:59 PM EST, or whenever United re-set the 2014 PQM accumulation clock, and that flight determines the status in Plat/1K, then those of us with that situation are presently in limbo. Everyone else that reported the RPU/GPU posting seemed to have had the flight post prior to the clock being reset. Those of us reported not receiving the RPU/GPU's have had the crucial qualifying flight on 30th, 31st, or in my case, having occur earlier, but had to be manually added due to a MP mistake, and posted AFTER the clock reset.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

It was an example,
The code could run once every 24-48 hours
I would also bet they turn the code off during peek MF usage times to keep the MIPS usage in check

It can also be totally different code than the non status trigger code
EG... 25/50/75/100 are one type of trigger, 125+ are another type of trigger as they do a lot less
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
redeposited RPU not showing up

Not sure if this is related.
Mailed 1Kvoice end of december for redepositing an RPU of an upgrade that didn't clear.
Got a reply that they redeposited it, but it don't see it added to my account.
mailed already three times back and everytime I got a reply that it was redeposited.

Could this be related to the issue of GPU / RPU not posting ?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by erwin123
Not sure if this is related.
Mailed 1Kvoice end of december for redepositing an RPU of an upgrade that didn't clear.
Got a reply that they redeposited it, but it don't see it added to my account.
mailed already three times back and everytime I got a reply that it was redeposited.

Could this be related to the issue of GPU / RPU not posting ?
This happens a lot.

You have to babysit to make sure GPU/RPU redeposited when upgrade didn't clear, and be ready to call MP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.