Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA-HKG via EWR or ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the advice everyone! Booked on DCA-EWR-HKG with 6h15m at EWR and 1E on EWR-HKG
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks for the advice everyone! Booked on DCA-EWR-HKG with 6h15m at EWR and 1E on EWR-HKG
Go for 8E if you can further away from the front-left loo
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't follow.

Average lateness of SFO is 48:13.
Average lateness of EWR is 55:07
Average lateness of ORD is 1:10:03

Each flight is once per day, so total number of flights for each route should be virtually identical. And the frequency of flights delayed is very close (32 to 35%). But among those flights that are delayed, ORD tends to have materially longer delays.

But I am not a stats person so perhaps this is all wrong.
It's not "all wrong" but there isn't enough information to know if the difference is statistically significant - it could be skewed by a couple of flights that were super late from ORD, but otherwise late flights from both were about an hour late (for example).

It's also an odd comparison to make because there's some sort of bell curve distribution of flights in terms of on-time-ness. But the stats are looking only at the section of the bell curve where it's >14 minutes late, and then taking an average of those times.

That all said, if the distribution of on-time-ness is something close to normal, then your inference is reasonable - late flights from ORD tend to be more late than those from EWR.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Go for 8E if you can further away from the front-left loo
Thanks, 8E is open, any concern about not getting meal choice by the time they get to 8E?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks, 8E is open, any concern about not getting meal choice by the time they get to 8E?
No - 8E is served by the second galley, which provides light and noise pollution to 8E.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
No - 8E is served by the second galley, which provides light and noise pollution to 8E.
I'm in 1E and the following are also taken: 1KL, 2BEK, 5D, 9E & 11A.

Only 5'8" and not large feet so legroom and footwell space should be OK in any seat...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
EWR Absolutely!

I've done both and would absolutely vote for EWR. First, it is a much more comfortable ride in business class. I don't like the 2-4-2 configuration from ORD. Second, if something happens on the return flight, it is much better to go to EWR. You can take AMTRAK home. I've been stuck in both places. In Chicago, I had to overnight at the airport. When I was in EWR and the plane home was cancelled due to weather, I took AMTRAK, which United paid for. I actually beat the time the plane was originally supposed to land. So there's no question that I would take the EWR choice.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I've done both and would absolutely vote for EWR. First, it is a much more comfortable ride in business class. I don't like the 2-4-2 configuration from ORD. Second, if something happens on the return flight, it is much better to go to EWR. You can take AMTRAK home. I've been stuck in both places. In Chicago, I had to overnight at the airport. When I was in EWR and the plane home was cancelled due to weather, I took AMTRAK, which United paid for. I actually beat the time the plane was originally supposed to land. So there's no question that I would take the EWR choice.
Great points, thanks, glad I went with EWR! Already got a free lunch promised during my 6 hour layover :-)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Re: Amtrak
Definitely different options with ORD or EWR for this routing. I've also been reticketed on Amtrak to get to Union Station due to mass UX cancellations due to snow. Also, I've taken the train to/fro EWR once before.

Only thing I would add is Amtrak isn't immune to IRROPs of course. Last summer I took an Acela up to Philly from Union Station and due to signal problems, the 2 hour ride turned into a 6.5 hour ride. My own out of thin air assessment on reliability (i.e. on-time to not that late) is 75% UX, 90% Amtrak.

Re: LH SEN Lounge in B
Will same day boarding pass for Term C (or Term A for that matter) get you access through TSA? Alternatively, I'm also remembering that the inter-term bus shuttle announced a stop at B last time i was on it.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by eleeut
Will same day boarding pass for Term C (or Term A for that matter) get you access through TSA? Alternatively, I'm also remembering that the inter-term bus shuttle announced a stop at B last time i was on it.
I second that. Those GA's at the bus gates are very strict about who can board, so if you're already in TermC with a C boarding pass, they won't let you visit A/B no matter what.

And those aren't the worst .... the TSA line agents at TermC won't even let you use C1/C2/C3 checkpoint unless your gate is there, regardless of how empty the line is.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Not sure if this has been mentioned up stream, but I also like the EWR flight as it's much more natural to sleep. It leaves later in the day and typically flies "right" of the pole, northeast over Greenland and Svalbard (as today). Thus you usually get several hours of darkness, which is much more inviting for sleep than the all-daylight NW-bound flights out of ORD and SFO.

In addition, I would always prefer 2-2-2 over 2-4-2 with half seats backwards. I like the window seat on the nonsunny side, which is L (most of the flight, most of the year). Bulkhead gives a bit more foot and storage room, but no biggie if you're elsewhere. Storage is still miles ahead of pmUA.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Will same day boarding pass for Term C (or Term A for that matter) get you access through TSA?
It should
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It should
If I have time to kill at EWR next time I'm routing through there, I may try. LH SEN at IAD beats the pants off of the IAD UCs.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I have time to kill at EWR next time I'm routing through there, I may try. LH SEN at IAD beats the pants off of the IAD UCs.
It's not the biggest, but of course the F&B offerings are quite nice ^ It's packed from 4pm onwards though

There's also SK across the hall but that's not as interesting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.