Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Guide to CPUs

In order for you to receive a CPU, four conditions have to be met at the same moment in time:

(NB: The following does not apply to GS members, whose CPUs process at least somewhat differently, out of the PN bucket.)

1. The flight must be within the relevant CPU window:
  • GS: 120 hours
  • 1K: 96 hours
  • Plat: 72 hours
  • Gold: 48 hours
  • Silver: 24 hours

If the flight is scheduled to depart after midnight central time, all of these windows open 24 hours early, due to a system glitch.

2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.

3. You must be high enough on the relevant upgrade list.

There are two separate upgrade lists, used during the two different upgrade processes described in (4) below. Understand how these lists work is one of the things people struggle with the most.

The Pre-Gate List (a/k/a the "sweeps list" or "EUA list")

This list is used in the pre-gate process described in (4) below. Your presence on the list is indicated by the CPU Requested icon/language on your reservation, but you cannot find out what position you are on this list through any public method. The list is sorted in this manner:
- Displaced first-class passengers (Bought two-segment F ticket, F wasn't available on this segment at time of purchase)

- GS using any method (note GS clear out of PN)

- Uncleared instant upgrades, sorted by fare class* and status (e.g.: Silver in Y, Plat in B, Gold in B, 1K in M)

- Waitlisted instrument/mile upgrades, sorted by status of redeeming account, fare class, and then time of request (e.g.: person in N upgrading using 1K's miles, Plat in S using own RPU applied on Tuesday, person in S using a Plat's RPU applied on Friday)**

- CPUs, sorted by status, fare class, and time of purchase (e.g.: 1K in E, 1K in N, Plat in E, Plat in X***, Gold in G purchased in November, Gold in G purchased in December)

*The coach fare classes, in the order that is relevant to this whole discussion, are: Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N, YN/HN/XN/X

**Note: The upgrades above CPU can clear using R space, CPU appears to be a subset, so R space alone is not sufficent for CPU clearing.

***CPUs are only available for mileage tickets for certain credit card holders. It's a complicated issue that is generally beyond the scope of this thread. There is a separate thread for it.
The Gate List (a/k/a the "visible list")

This list controls upgrades at the gate. It is semi-visible to the public on the status page for a flight, but the status page only shows checked in passengers. Even if you appear first on the list, you might actually be fifteenth by the time everyone checks in.

This list is in the same order as the list above, except that the time-related tiebreakers (such as time of purchase) are replaced with sequence number (which is related to time of check-in). Additionally, certain non-revs (airline employees and family traveling for free or at low cost) are put on the gate list, at the end.

4. One of the two upgrade processes must run.

The Pre-Gate Process (a/k/a the "sweeps" or "EUA")

This process runs at certain times in the days leading up to the flight. It typically runs at 24 hour intervals leading up to T-24, at which point it begins to run more often. It is unclear exactly how often it runs, or when it stops running. There are reports of upgrades that seem to have been given by the pre-gate system even once boarding has begun.

The Gate Process

This process is manually accomplished by the GA, typically once if there are empty seats after check-in has closed, and again if there are no-shows in F. In the latter case, the GA may come onto the plane to give the new boarding pass to the passenger.

Sometimes the GA might not run the process, which makes them a Very Bad GA. On very rare occasions, they might fiddle with the process to upgrade their friends, which we call "shenanigans." That makes them a Mega Bad And Very In Trouble GA. Both of these situations should be reported in the relevant FT thread and directly to UA.

CPU FAQ

I'm number one on the upgrade list on the flight status page. Does that mean I'm first in line for the upgrade?

No, unless the check-in window has passed and the flight is under gate control.

There are seats available in F, why have I not been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

There is R availability, why haven't I been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

Will the time that I check in affect my ability to get an upgrade?

Probably not. It is the third tie-breaker on the gate list only. See above.

Do I need to check in to get an upgrade?

No. Except at the gate. But if you're not checked in by that time, you have bigger problems.

Who are all these people on the standby list and the upgrade list(s)?

Non-revs. See above.

But the website says that the Silver window opens the day of departure, not at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the website says that there is a "transfer" of the lists at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the agent said ____________________________!

Ignore them.

DidItClear

If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Print Wikipost

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anandrag
How about the complimentary domestic upgrades? Will they get those too if on my record or just for the 1k member?
You get one companion upgrade, and if all three of you are on the same record, you have to split the PNR (assuming your sons do not have status).
Originally Posted by https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/upgrades.aspx
Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anandrag
Flying with my 2 sons and know can get up to 6 (or was it 8?) people on my record onto E+.
How about the complimentary domestic upgrades? Will they get those too if on my record or just for the 1k member?
As answered just one and if there are two or more non-elites on the PNR with you noone gets CPU (including you).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:53 pm

I'm being prompted to check in for my flight tomorrow and it asks if I want to split PNRs so upgrades clear one at a time, or to not split, in which case I'm completely removed from the upgrade standby list.

I'm Platinum and my husband has no status, but I understand he can be upgraded as my companion. We both cleared a couple of days in advance on our outbound flight, but we are now at less than 24 hours and OLCI has been open for a few hours.

If I split the PNRs, does a non-status companion fall to the bottom of the list, or does he come right after me in the upgrade queue?

Trying to decide what to do. It looks like there are only 2 seats left in First, and there are already six people on the standby upgrade list, but I can't see their status. If I'm the only Platinum, do I jump to first on the list with him right behind me?

15 of 16 seats are sold in First but only 8 checked in as of now. Economy is full. It's MCO - IAD so a short flight and we have good E+ seats right now.

Edited to add: This is one leg of an international itinerary, connecting to SK. Would I be best off keeping our PNR as one in case of any issues with the international flight?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SusanDK
... If I split the PNRs, does a non-status companion fall to the bottom of the list, or does he come right after me in the upgrade queue?

Trying to decide what to do. It looks like there are only 2 seats left in First, and there are already six people on the standby upgrade list, but I can't see their status. If I'm the only Platinum, do I jump to first on the list with him right behind me?..
yes

... 15 of 16 seats are sold in First but only 8 checked in as of now. Economy is full. It's MCO - IAD so a short flight and we have good E+ seats right now. ..
while things could change -- leisure locations tend to have less last minute travel changes
... This is one leg of an international itinerary, connecting to SK. Would I be best off keeping our PNR as one in case of any issues with the international flight?
Tough call but IMO same PNR is more important before travel then during actual travel where you can handle things in person / realtime.

Past discussion in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ot-report.html
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes

Tough call but IMO same PNR is more important before travel then during actual travel where you can handle things in person / realtime.
I'd split the PNR, since it's not going to impact the other flights.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:56 am

CPU waitlist priority

Something strange happened to two colleagues of mine on a flight today from MSY to IAD. They were both #1 and #2 on the list and they are both Platinum. Last night my buddy at #2 got the upgrade notification, ahead of my other friend who was #1. Both were the same fare class (T) and my friend at the #1 spot had checked in way before the other guy at #2. How did that happen? Sorry if this should be in another CPU thread.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not strange. Prior to the gate, there's a different waitlist running. And the priority is premier status, fare class, time of purchase. Time of check-in only matters for gate upgrades.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Hmm but why would it show them as #1 and #2 but have #2 jump ahead to get the upgrade? Shouldn't their upgrade priority then be reflected on the waitlist?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doverflyer
Hmm but why would it show them as #1 and #2 but have #2 jump ahead to get the upgrade? Shouldn't their upgrade priority then be reflected on the waitlist?
As I stated, prior to the gate upgrades are processed according to a different waitlist which is prioritized based on a different tie-breaking criterion (time of purchase vs. time of check-in).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:38 am

Oh ok- thanks for clearing that up!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Is it possible that a status match 1K on a current challenge gets prioritized after other non-challenge 1Ks? Curious.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Is it possible that a status match 1K on a current challenge gets prioritized after other non-challenge 1Ks? Curious.
I think you're giving UA's IT more credit than they are due.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: United, Priority Club
Not showing Eligible for Complementary Upgrade

I'm 1K, 2MM

Background:

I have 2 current reservations, BOS - SFO and EWR - LAS

About 1 week ago, both reservations showed flights as 'Eligible for Complementary Premier Upgrade'

Then, about 4 days ago, neither of them show the friendly little complementary arrow.

The next day only BOS-SFO showed up as Eligible, EWR - LAS (flight 1600, 867) did not. This hasn't changed.

Flights 1600 and 867 are 757 with 8 lie flat seats in F. I have K class tickets.

My question:
Anybody have any idea what's up? Did United change their CPU rules? Does it have something to do with lie flat seats? Or just a bug in the website?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by MikeRosen
Or just a bug in the website?
Ding Ding Ding
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Just so I understand ... there are ps and non-ps flights EWR-LAX (LAX-EWR) coexisting? I am purposely looking for non-ps configuration airplanes so that I may have a chance at CPU however minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.