Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
There was no equipment swap. It was a 2-1-2 and is still a 2-1-2.
I don't think you know that. I think all you know is that there was not a single equipment swap. Swapping and swapping back is known to make a mess of things.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA does this frequently. Obviously to UA it does not matter your status. Who knows why UA does it. They will be creative in their "reasoning".

Last edited by TonyBurr; May 25, 2017 at 10:21 am
Old May 25, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was planning on having some choice words with whomever was on that seat
That's a terrible idea, FAM or otherwise.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's a terrible idea, FAM or otherwise.
It was a joke. You omitted the ";-)" from the quote.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Why drag in the other pax who is probably oblivious to what happened.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Flying IAH - LAX earlier this week (booked 2 weeks ago)

I'm in 9C, PAX in 9A asks me if I paid for my upgrade to E+. I said, "no, it's complimentary at booking because of status." He goes on to tell me that he selected 9C at booking a month ago, and his seat only changed after he got to the airport. He showed me his paper (printed from home) boarding pass showing 9C, and the email from when he purchased the seat also showing 9C. His current electronic boarding pass had 9A.

Seemed odd, and I offered him the aisle because he was very nice about the whole thing, but he said he was fine with the window, just curious why he got moved.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Before I start: I hope this discussion doesn't go into the "United has the right to move your seat". I am aware of that but just wanted to get people's thoughts on what happened below and why:

I am a Global Services customer who booked a paid business class seat. The cabin configuration was 2-1-2 so I booked the 1 row seat. Today when I go to check-in, I noticed my seat was re-assigned to the 2 side. I called UA and they tell me that about 10 days ago my seat was changed due to "operational reasons". They said they can do this if there is an equipment change or "other operational issues". What does this mean. The equipment is still the same and I doubt they knew 10 days ago that the seat is not working. So if someone else is sitting in that seat tomorrow, what am I to make of it??

I am surprised they would treat their best customers this way and not even tell me. Moving anyone is wrong but to move your best customers, I don't get it. Any suggestions or ideas why they did this?
Bolding mine: With the reason given by UA, your seat was most likely reassigned for a FAM and the single seats on the 764 (in my past experiences) are generally what they "take" tho on a side note, when I have been "FAM'd", it has generally been approximately 72-48 hours before departure and not 10 days
Old May 25, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goalie
when I have been "FAM'd", it has generally been approximately 72-48 hours before departure and not 10 days
They got me exactly 30 days out.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I see equipment changes TATL from time to time. UA may or may not send a change alert email. That is why I also use EF to alert me.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Why drag in the other pax who is probably oblivious to what happened.
I read the OP's comment about having "choice words" as a joke. He clearly indicated it as such, and I don't know why people are up in arms about that part of his post.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I read the OP's comment about having "choice words" as a joke. He clearly indicated it as such, and I don't know why people are up in arms about that part of his post.
Agree, clearly joking people... com'on!
Old May 25, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM
This is an example of why many of us watch our seat assignments almost daily in case of changes. It happens, but if you catch it early enough, you can often recover with a seat that is still acceptable. I do not blame UA for this; it is just a fact of flying.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It could be a FAM, it could be the infamous SHARES Seat Scrambler, neither of them care about your status.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If I recall, I don't think a FAM is required to sit in that specific seat. If you get the right agent, you might be able to switch back or ask the FAM to switch
Old May 25, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Two leading causes of this are FAMs and "glitch" equipment swaps (like 764 -> 763 -> 764, all in the space of an hour). Sounds like it's probably the former, especially if booted out of a '1' seat near the front of the cabin.

Originally Posted by scracer14
Flying IAH - LAX earlier this week (booked 2 weeks ago)

I'm in 9C, PAX in 9A asks me if I paid for my upgrade to E+. I said, "no, it's complimentary at booking because of status." He goes on to tell me that he selected 9C at booking a month ago, and his seat only changed after he got to the airport. He showed me his paper (printed from home) boarding pass showing 9C, and the email from when he purchased the seat also showing 9C. His current electronic boarding pass had 9A.
Wait, how long had you been assigned to 9C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.