Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Booked on a 788 in J with a GS on the PNR. The ticket was booked three days ago, so it hasn't been very long.

We were confirmed in DE in 4, 5, or 6.

I happened to check today for better seats (hoping for AB or KL), only to find we're now across the aisle in EK.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
After Checked in - my seats are changed. (no aircraft swap)

I checked my bags and got my boarding pass at City Airport Terminal 630AM in Seoul. I am flying ICN-PEK(Asiana Airline - Departing 305PM) and PEK-IAD(UA808) IAD-BOS(UA352).
My boarding pass shows 16L (UA808) and 7F(UA352). Both bulkhead seats I like.
When I came home, I checked the flight status. I realized my seats not occupied on the seat map. It turns out I was moved to different seats. I can not change it back online
I called United. The agent said. she can see my original seat assignment on UA system. However, she does not know how and why my seats were changed.
My friend (no status) travelling with me (different PNR) still has 16J and 7A seats from my status.

I need some advice. It is a 13hr flight. I really want my bulkhead seat back.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by poohhead80
I checked my bags and got my boarding pass at City Airport Terminal 630AM in Seoul. I am flying ICN-PEK(Asiana Airline - Departing 305PM) and PEK-IAD(UA808) IAD-BOS(UA352).
My boarding pass shows 16L (UA808) and 7F(UA352). Both bulkhead seats I like.
When I came home, I checked the flight status. I realized my seats not occupied on the seat map. It turns out I was moved to different seats. I can not change it back online
I called United. The agent said. she can see my original seat assignment on UA system. However, she does not know how and why my seats were changed.
My friend (no status) travelling with me (different PNR) still has 16J and 7A seats from my status.

I need some advice. It is a 13hr flight. I really want my bulkhead seat back.
If your original seats are not occupied, why dont you deselect those seats?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... My boarding pass shows 16L (UA808) and 7F(UA352). Both bulkhead seats I like.
I called United. The agent said. she can see my original seat assignment on UA system. However, she does not know how and why my seats were changed ....
And the agent was not able to change the seat assignment?

As a window seat not likely a FAM

May be an inop seat if the UA agent can not access

A change for a passenger for medical / handicap reasons would show as occupied.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And the agent was not able to change the seat assignment?
UA call agent says "agents at the airport have the control. I do not have any control"

As a window seat not likely a FAM

May be an inop seat if the UA agent can not access

A change for a passenger for medical / handicap reasons would show as occupied.
My coworker still has the same 16J - aisle seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2019 at 4:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA call agent says "agents at the airport have the control. I do not have any control" ....
Appears to be a "sold out" flight. One unsold seat in business, economy "FULL"

16L still seems to be open

No waitlist for business or economy ???

EF shows a number of economy seats as blocked - but not 16L
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:07 pm

Appears to be a "sold out" flight. One unsold seat in business, economy "FULL"

16L still seems to be open

No waitlist for business or economy ???

EF shows a number of economy seats as blocked - but not 16L
I talked to 3 different agent. Premier line, regular call number, Korean language service. They can not do it. I have to go to the airport
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:07 pm

Came to airport early. Somebody took my original seat on one of the two flights.
Changed my seats to the best avaliable.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Came to airport early. Somebody took my original seat on one of the two flights.
Changed my seats to the best avaliable.
Did you try checking in again online and/or via the app? Usually that will allow you to update your seat selection, even after checking in originally.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:28 pm

Regarding the three agents + web support agent (call transferred by Premier line), the most reliable explanation to me was from the web support agent.

- A lot of changes on UA system today including aircraft changes. Even though my two flights have no changes, the UA system reacted as there were some kind of changes on my flights and somehow my seat assignments were changed. Reasons why I can no change my seats back using App / UA agents can not change them back are probably due to one of or combination of following reasons
1) my first flight is operated by a partner airline. OZ has the control.
2) I already checked in.
3) International itinerary - requires passport check

Well. OZ (Asiana) agent told me that OZ does not have control on seat assignment on UA. I told her to give it a try. and it worked, the agent was surprised.

I was hoping to have a quiet day as usual.
Early morning baggage drop at City Terminal and leaving home around noon for my 3PM flight. I have done this 4-5 times a year for 3 years.
I have to call multiple international times to UA. Not an ideal start before 2hr+13hr+2hr flights. However, I got acceptable seats after all the call and extra trip to city terminal and early departure for airport.

Safe travel.

Originally Posted by GBadger
Did you try checking in again online and/or via the app? Usually that will allow you to update your seat selection, even after checking in originally.
Online check in was not available since it requires passport check. Even though UA know my US passport number.

I did try. It did not work.

My experience. International on UA only / Domestic US only / International on UA + Partner they are very different.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2019 at 10:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 pm

Online check in was not available since it requires passport check. Even though UA know my US passport number.
If OZ was the first carrier, you can not check-in with UA directly until after the OZ flight has dropped off the PNR (generally at departure)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:30 pm

I was orignaly assigned 1D on CDG-ORD. I selected the seat at booking in November. My itinerary actually began in IST, and I checked in online using the TK mobile app. TK required a passport verification, so no boarding pass. During the process, a pop up appeared stating that seats on interline flights operated by other airlines would be automatically assigned. I checked my UA seats on the UA app, all was good. Hours later, I checked again, and I had been eseated in 6B, the very last row in J on this 767. No other single seats remained. I called the 1K line, and the friendly agent could not reinstate my original seat, as it had already been assigned to another passenger. She proactively escalated it to a supervisor without success. Meanwhile, she suggested rerouting through IAD to avoid any possible ORD weather cancellations. She found me a center aisle seat on the 787 in J, reallocating my GPU, and put me #1 on the upgrade list for the IAD-YUL segment. I was very happy, especially when I received an alert a few hours later that my original ORD-YUL flight had been cancelled. What began as a whine, turned into a win. However, I will never check in online with a partner airline again when subsequent segments will be on UA.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: UA*PP
Experienced an equipment change from pre-Polaris 772 E+ to 777 Polaris with Premium Economy and lost 21C (E+) to something in E-. I was already checked-in since the first segment of the itinerary is on Lufthansa. Wasn't able to change my seat, so I undid the check-in and I was able to reserve 21B (UA*Plat). Then I checked-in again on Lufthansa and received all boarding passes, showing the correct seats.
However, when I look at my United reservation and go on "Change Seats" (App or united.com), it shows no seat assigned and 21B is occupied. App and united.com show 21B in the reservation overview though.

Now the big question: is my seat reservation safe or will I potentially loose my seat (Prem Eco is nearly full...)?

Edit: A few hours later, the UA app shows my Boarding Passes and the seat is also correctly shown on united.com. Looks like a synchronization glitch.

Last edited by itscoldupthere; Feb 6, 2019 at 5:12 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Booked on a TPAC 77W, chose 1A at booking (two months out). At T-24 hours, I got a text message that my seat has been changed to 1D "due to an aircraft swap."

Since this route uses 77W exclusively and there is only one version of J seating, I was doubtful. I called GS and they said, "We're very sorry, but the airport made the change and there's nothing we can do. It's either a broken seat or an air marshal." (Very surprised they'd say it could be a FAM!) As it turns out, 9A was still available so I swapped to that and I'm happy to have a bulkhead window. You can be sure I'll check out the owner of 1A...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wxguy
You can be sure I'll check out the owner of 1A...
Bet it's a 30-50 year old dude with short hair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.