Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
.... I'm flying with my family of 3 ticked in domestic first. Since we're in EWR we want to see what lounges we could get in all 3 together.

As a star gold I could only guest 1 not 2.

Based on the below can someone advise what "some" lounges that can be accessed based on there Domestic First Tickets? ....
If you are a UA gold, then there would be no access to to UCs. There is no access to domestic lounges for domestic First (except in the base of PS Business flights). And UA Gold have no access to UC on purely domestic flights.

UA Gold does have access plus 1 guest to other *A lounges on domestic flights. {But at Newark, that is a non-starter for short layovers since you can only connect those lounges outside the security area.} Again domestic First has no access to *A lounges for domestic only itins.

The quoted *A lounge access rule does not applied for *A lounges in the USA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm Reason: comment on *A rule
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No, it's a benefit for UA Gold and above to get access for yourself at airports not the int'l gateway. If you had been, say, a LH *G in coach, access would have been restricted to int'l gateways.
It is such a benefit for UA Gold so long as there was an International segment.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
So I've been *G with Air Canada for three years, but very little of my flying has been with my family. My wife and (edit: three year old) son are coming with me PHL-YYZ-YXU next week, and I was wondering whether I can bring both of them into the (rather small...) United Club in Philadelphia. My guess is no, since the policy is one guest (and says nothing about additional children). Could more experienced people please confirm? Thanks!

Last edited by YYZtoDCA; Mar 22, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
My wife and son are coming with me PHL-YYZ-YXU next week, and I was wondering whether I can bring both of them into the (rather small...) United Club in Philadelphia.
How old is the son?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
How old is the son?
He's three, flying with his own seat & ticket...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LoveSQ
ORD United Club question for this forum.
Travelling from NRT to ORD on NH 12 in business. 5 hour layover in ORD and then connection from ORD to YYZ in UA business. A few questions for this forum :

1. On arrival at ORD, I have to do immigration/customs and baggage trf to my YYZ flight. Which terminal will I arrive at from NRT and which terminal will I depart from for YYZ?
2. As a business passenger on NH will I get fast track for immigration in ORD? I have Canadian cross border Nexus card.
3. What choice of lounges do I have in ORD (am *A Gold). Any international arrivals lounge (like NH, LX, LH etc) i can use or just UC from my departing terminal.

Thank you all in advance
Looks like left dangling:
1. Arrival & C&I at Terminal 5, drop bags, then train to Teminal 1/2, from whence you will depart.
2. Maybe, except arriving from non-Canada wouldn't count on it.
3. Just UC. Other lounges are all in Terminal 5.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Should be ok.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
strictky speaking -- having a ticket counts as a guest but seriously doubt you will have an issue. Make it age 10, 11, 12, ... and you might have an issue.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
strictky speaking -- having a ticket counts as a guest but seriously doubt you will have an issue. Make it age 10, 11, 12, ... and you might have an issue.
I guess we'll see! If I needed a favor from Maple Leaf Lounge agents I would be very pessimistic, but I'm encouraged by the United Airlines optimism here!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:59 am

United Club access if flying US-Canada biz class

If we fly BOS-YYT in biz class, with a change of planes at EWR, would we get access to the club at BOS and EWR? International flight, but flights to Canada may be treated differently.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:41 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Click the link, hope this helps. Flying from the US to Canada is considered International travel. On the return you would have access to the AC Maple Leaf Lounge in YYT

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by SoCal
If we fly BOS-YYT in biz class, with a change of planes at EWR, would we get access to the club at BOS and EWR? International flight, but flights to Canada may be treated differently.
They are considered international for UC/*A lounge access.

See wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:21 am

United Club access Boston to St. John's

First class BOS to EWR, biz class on to St. John's, Newfoundland. Both Class P, using points. Will we be able to use United Clubs at BOS and EWR? Normally for international biz we would, but didn't now if regs were different for flights to Canada. Did look at United.com.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why not?

It is an international flight after all.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
I believe you will be able to access the United Club at EWR but not at BOS. According to united.com, buried down in a footnote, "travel to Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access." Passengers in United Business are entitled to access but "may only access United Club locations at connecting airports and their final destination," which seems to me to exclude the originating airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.