Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
So I had booked CWA-ORD-IAD with return on a Thursday night, then later learned I needed to be in Chicago for the weekend. Plan was to attempt to SDC the CWA-ORD in half-day increments through the weekend.

On Thursday night, landed ORD and hit the UA Club. There was no availability in my fare class for the next day, so the agent did a same-day-standby for me and issued me a standby boarding pass.

Friday morning I call to switch to the Friday night flight, still no fare availability... but the phone agent wouldn't let me standby for it either, saying I needed to actually BE at the airport to request a standby change.

Is that accurate?

I'd already booked a mileage ORD-CWA ticket in case my SDC plan didn't work out so I wasn't terribly motivated to play HUCA and only talked to that one agent.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes this is possible - it's going to be the operating carrier policy that matters, so long as both segments are actually flown by UA (or UAX), this should be an option.

IIRC, code shares on UAs website still show with the marketing carrier flight number (I.e. AC XXXX, not UA YYY), with the marketing carrier fare class also, but everything else should pretty much look the same. As always, same fare class (based on UA fare class of the ticket) needs to be available for options to show on the website/app, but calling in can potentially allow you to book into a higher fare class (both SDC fee, if applicable and fare class difference will apply).

Just to clarify, you can upfare using SDC as well. Just not with the automated tools, and it requires one to pay the fare difference (and SDC fee, if applicable). Whether it's worth it if there's a lot of seats available is a different question.
awesome! thanks! i don't think i can upfare as it's an air canada ticket stock?

I see it now on my united.com page so i think i'll be able to standby at theairport or SDC
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I think I can confirm that a checked bag breaks SDC.

I had to gate-check a bag due to being last to board and the overheads being full. Despite options within 24 hours having plenty of space in my fare class, the "change flights" option is not showing up at my layover point.

I haven't tried calling or anything else to override that, as I'm mixed about overnighting here (ORD) anyway (and now I'd be overnighting with no bag), but I had always wondered if this would happen, and it seems that UA's systems are smart enough to block it.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA
Question about Same-day flight change and Standing by

Can someone kindly point me to the right thread or teach me the details? I understand that for the same-day flight change to work, the itinerary need to be operated by United or United Express. Are there some exceptions?

Currently, I booked a trip SEA <-> TPE with a 016 ticket
UA 468 SEA -> SFO
UA 837 SFO -> NRT
UA 7943 NRT -> TPE (Operated by ANA)

Can I do a Same-day flight change or standing by for the following 2 options?
(1) UA 468 SEA -> SFO (the original flight)
UA 871 SFO -> TPE

or
(2) UA 7929 SEA -> NRT (Operated by ANA)
UA 7943 NRT -> TPE (the original flight)

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Neither. For two reasons:

1. You won't see an option to go from NH metal to UA metal. (no SDC options at all).
2. If on UA metal, you will only see UA metal options for SDC.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yuncheng Ju
UA 468 SEA -> SFO
UA 837 SFO -> NRT

UA 871 SFO -> TPE
This may be possible but will not show up as an option. Strictly not allowed but agents (phone or airport) may cooperate. Doing before travel may also present problems -- SDC has to work for all flights. So give it a try but if unsuccessful, try again at SFO. If space is available, you have a high chance of success. Checked luggage will be a problem at SFO unless you have a long layover.

... or
UA 7943 NRT -> TPE (the original flight) ....
definitive no SDC on this -- new flights must be UA operated.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
It's definitely possible for your option 1, but you should change it at SEA on the date of the travel (not at SFO) with the agent. Been there, done that, just last month, and with 2 confirmed upgrades.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Can someone kindly point me to the right thread or teach me the details? I understand that for the same-day flight change to work, the itinerary need to be operated by United or United Express. Are there some exceptions?

UA 468 SEA -> SFO
UA 837 SFO -> NRT

UA 871 SFO -> TPE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This may be possible but will not show up as an option. Strictly not allowed but agents (phone or airport) may cooperate. Doing before travel may also present problems -- SDC has to work for all flights. So give it a try but if unsuccessful, try again at SFO. If space is available, you have a high chance of success. Checked luggage will be a problem at SFO unless you have a long layover.
On your day of departure at the gate SEA or SFO, to increasse odds of SDC for SFO-TPE, only pack carry-on luggage if possible
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS

UA 468 SEA -> SFO
UA 837 SFO -> NRT

UA 871 SFO -> TPE

or
UA 7943 NRT -> TPE (the original flight)

Thanks very much.
You can try to call an agent to see if they can put you on the SEA-SFO, SFO-TPE itinerary. Last year, I was able to successfully change 2 separate flights, similar to what you are trying to do.

First flights - IAH-IAD (UA), IAD-MUC (LH), MUC-NAP (LH). I called to see if I could take the nonstop UA IAH-MUC flight (replace IAH-IAD and IAD-MUC) and continue on the MUC-NAP flight. They were able to accommodate my request.

Second Flights - IAD-MUC (UA), MUC-CDG (LH). I called and was able to rebook on the IAD-CDG (UA) nonstop.

Notes - Both sets of flights were booked in First (A) class, I'm not sure if this made a difference. IIRC I needed to HUCA a couple of times on one of the itinerary. Of course, the same fare class needs to be available. Good Luck
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Continental
The double SDC, can it be done?

Flying back TLV-EWR on 19 Mar arriving at around 5pm.

Scheduled to fly JFK-LAX-SFO at 2:30pm on 20 Mar.
Booked in Z.

I would like to switch to the nonstop JFK-SFO on the 20th, either #510 or #512, which depart at 3:30 or 5:26.

There is an additional NS flight at 6:26pm # 514.

They way I understand it, both the existing and new flights must be within the 24 hr window, and there must be Z fares available.

So here is where the double SDC comes in...

If I want to stay over an additional night and leave on Saturday 21 Mar,
(Flt#510 at 3:30pm)...

Should I SDC onto #514 at 6:26pm Friday, then after 3:30 pm Friday call to SDC onto the 3:30 Flight on Saturday?

Would that work? Or am I making this more confusing than it needs to be?

Last edited by hockey7711; Mar 7, 2015 at 5:30 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes, you can repeatedly do SDC so long as your fare buckets are available and the flight you are changing to are within 24 hours of your current flights. And yes, if you want to extend more than 24 hours, you'll have to make multiple changes.

You may need to call it speak to an agent at JFK to switch to the nonstop, though.

Last edited by exerda; Mar 7, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, that will work assuming there's availability.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Continental
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Flying back TLV-EWR on 19 Mar arriving at around 5pm.

Scheduled to fly JFK-LAX-SFO at 2:30pm on 20 Mar.
Booked in Z.

I would like to switch to the nonstop JFK-SFO on the 20th, either #510 or #512, which depart at 3:30 or 5:26.

There is an additional NS flight at 6:26pm # 514.

They way I understand it, both the existing and new flights must be within the 24 hr window, and there must be Z fares available.

So here is where the double SDC comes in...

If I want to stay over an additional night and leave on Saturday 21 Mar,
(Flt#510 at 3:30pm)...

Should I SDC onto #514 at 6:26pm Friday, then after 3:30 pm Friday call to SDC onto the 3:30 Flight on Saturday?

Would that work? Or am I making this more confusing than it needs to be?
This example is the best part of the UA SDC. Being able to continuously SDC. I once was on one of those DTW-HNL fare sales a few years back. Originally booked it as a out on Friday and back on Sunday, but since i have friends who live out on the islands, I was able to continuously change flights every 8 to 12 hours so I would always know if I had a confirmed flight and when I would be finally locked into having to travel. I ended up staying 5 or so extra days and finally went home the following Friday. At the time I did this i was UA Plat (so no fee) via a status match. This policy is very user friendly compared to Delta's (at the time 3 hour rule), but now same fare class and same day only.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Reading the horror story about US issued ticket in the Wiki makes me nervous.

Have a Priceline ticket, NOT puchased blindly but using regular OTA method, originally as Air China ticket, as best as I can tell starting with 999.

Now it showed up on ual.com right away, I was actually able to u/g return leg with Ca$h and miles (lots of both) on ual.com.

So the question is, would SDC work, or is it too risky.

Only second leg shows with CA (or is it CI) flight number, rest is UA and UAX.

Any thoughts on trying SDC to a flight next day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.