Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:58 pm

UA same day flight change AC flight

I am United Gold and booked a return flight from Vancouver to Chicago through united web site. On return leg, the best connection at the time was an AC flight via Toronto. However, know there is a Denver - Vancouver that gets me in a little quicker and, of course, allows full mileage plus miles. Will they allow me to change my routing on the day of flight from Chicago-Toronto-Vancouver (AC) to United via Denver. I understand that I am responsible for any ticket price change.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dts9
I am United Gold and booked a return flight from Vancouver to Chicago through united web site. On return leg, the best connection at the time was an AC flight via Toronto. However, know there is a Denver - Vancouver that gets me in a little quicker and, of course, allows full mileage plus miles. Will they allow me to change my routing on the day of flight from Chicago-Toronto-Vancouver (AC) to United via Denver. I understand that I am responsible for any ticket price change.
Most likely yes -- probably easier at airport but possible with some phone agents. No fare difference if booked fare class available.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dts9
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Most likely yes -- probably easier at airport but possible with some phone agents. No fare difference if booked fare class available.
Technically, the rules don't allow it, as all is supposed to be on all UA metal to be eligible. So kiosk/web site/app will likely not offer any SDC for you if the first leg is UA metal. If the first leg is on AC, then I'd say your chances are pretty close to nil.

That said, an agent may allow you to do this - either at the airport or on the phone. Technically, since its not within the rules, they may not, and you have no basis to complain if they won't. But if you are willing to HUCA, you'll probably find an agent who will do it for you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm booked to fly FRA-ORD-LAX-SFO in a few days. First 2 legs are in L, but the third is in G.

I'm presuming I will need an agent to do an SDC onto FRA-SFO given the mixed fare classes, but what am I likely to need to be available on the new flight - L or G?
Ended up not changing in FRA as the ORD flight was wide open (3 seats to myself) v's only middles on the SFO flight. The app did NOT offer me any options to change, potentially due to the 3-legs, but also I suspect because the FRA-SFO flight was L9 G0.

However in ORD I was able to change to the ORD-SFO direct. Kiosk/App offered a few other options to SFO (all with connections, all in G class!), but would not offer me the direct flight despite it being L1 G1. However the UC agent was able to change me to that flight. Ended up with an out-of-sync ticket as a result, but it was the last leg and miles have posted correctly.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Ruhr
pbd, how crazy! Would you mind telling us in a few days how this "round trip" segment posts to your account? Will you get the PQD for it? Or will parts of that leg post as US$0 PQD? Thank you!
it posts properly but i am not from USA so i there is no PQD for me. i would imagine that the PQD would be unchanged since the update eticket has the original fare information.

i need to SDC for another 2400 miles to make 1k by the end of Feb due to UA mistake to post a segment to A3 instead of UA...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Ended up not changing in FRA as the ORD flight was wide open (3 seats to myself) v's only middles on the SFO flight. The app did NOT offer me any options to change, potentially due to the 3-legs, but also I suspect because the FRA-SFO flight was L9 G0.

However in ORD I was able to change to the ORD-SFO direct. Kiosk/App offered a few other options to SFO (all with connections, all in G class!), but would not offer me the direct flight despite it being L1 G1. However the UC agent was able to change me to that flight. Ended up with an out-of-sync ticket as a result, but it was the last leg and miles have posted correctly.
for the first time yesterday, i was offerred to change a 2 segment trip to a 3 segment trips. i didnt take it since i was upgraded on the domestic segment on a 772.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Another huge vote for HUACA.

Tried to make change online, just got error message.

First agent said couldn't, since second segment was same flight, exactly 24 hours, even though first seg was fine.

Second agent changed it in about thirty seconds.

All thanks to this wiki -- if I hadn't seen "first flight" up there I would have assumed she was correct.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Does anyone have recent experience with doing a SDC that involves switching between DCA/IAD? I've successfully done it in the past and just was shot down twice trying to do it for a flight tomorrow morning. I'm trying to change from SEA-EWR-DCA to SEA-IAD so I can avoid a connection in EWR on a potentially bad weather day.

Both people I spoke to insisted that there is no rule stating you can change between ultra close airports like IAD/DCA or LGA/JFK.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DErg
Does anyone have recent experience with doing a SDC that involves switching between DCA/IAD? I've successfully done it in the past and just was shot down twice trying to do it for a flight tomorrow morning. I'm trying to change from SEA-EWR-DCA to SEA-IAD so I can avoid a connection in EWR on a potentially bad weather day.

Both people I spoke to insisted that there is no rule stating you can change between ultra close airports like IAD/DCA or LGA/JFK.
The agents were right. There is no rule stating you can change to another airport via a SDC.

As the wiki at the top of the thread says:

Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
However, you may be able to do so if there is a weather waiver in place, but that's different than SDCing.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
The agents were right. There is no rule stating you can using SDC.

However, you may be able to do so if there is a weather waiver in place, but that's not an SDC.

See the wiki at the top of the thread.
I just reread that and didn't realize it was for standby only. I thought it applied to SDC and SDS.

I tried the weather waiver route but unfortunately it was only for travel in the NE from 2/14-2/17.

Last edited by DErg; Feb 19, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: reread
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hoo boy, I really screwed the pooch here — booked SFO-EWR on a 16-J-seat intl 757 and applied an RPU when I could have booked SFO-JFK at a similar time and price. No clue what I was thinking. The SFO-EWR filled up with buy-ups and paid J and there's no way the RPU will clear.

There's inventory in my fare class on some p.s. flights; what are the odds I can talk an agent into SDCing SFO-EWR to SFO-JFK?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hoo boy, I really screwed the pooch here — booked SFO-EWR on a 16-J-seat intl 757 and applied an RPU when I could have booked SFO-JFK at a similar time and price. No clue what I was thinking. The SFO-EWR filled up with buy-ups and paid J and there's no way the RPU will clear.

There's inventory in my fare class on some p.s. flights; what are the odds I can talk an agent into SDCing SFO-EWR to SFO-JFK?
Two chances - slim and fat.

I tried to do a SDC on an A fare from LGA-ORD to EWR-ORD as a GS and was denied, saying that they don't do that any longer.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a transborder award ticket booked in I on AC and XN (no F/J available on the regional). Then a schedule change happened that made me misconnect on the XN leg. First agent said, sure, I will put you on Standard Economy. I declined.

The 2nd agent put me on UA YN (regional) and JN without charging me more miles. I guess those are Standard First even though my ticket is Saver First. Would I have problem doing SDC on-line? What inventory classes would I be eligible in?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mherdeg

Just to follow up, my wife tried to make this change via a phone agent.

To my astonishment it worked — she called just once, and the agent she got was happy to change 'SFO-EWR' to 'SFO-JFK' and treat it as a same-day confirmed change into the same fare class at no additional charge. The agent reported that she was deeply familiar with the UA res system as a former member of the (dearly missed) UA *A desk.

Then a few hours later UA published a travel waiver for the NYC area and they would probably have handled the change for free anyway. But, still, it was nice (and amazing) that an agent was able and willing to handle this SDC.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Ruhr
pbd, how crazy! Would you mind telling us in a few days how this "round trip" segment posts to your account? Will you get the PQD for it? Or will parts of that leg post as US$0 PQD? Thank you!
i got more PQD that i should have... computer mist have messed up so badly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.