Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I'm attempting to do what I think is covered by this particular line in the "nuances" section:
Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A

I'm booked on two separate records, the first is RDU-IAD, the second is IAD-SFO. Both are within 24 hours, and the flight I want to SDC onto (RDU-SFO nonstop) has availability in all fare classes. I've called twice, both agents said they could not combine the tickets and allow an SDC. Anyone know if there's a secret knock or phrase that will get someone to re-ticket this? The wiki implies that it's possible, but I couldn't find the reference...
if you have a fare break you cannot SDC to a non-stop or change the connecting airport. That is annoying but it kind of makes sense. Now, at the airport, I have been able to accomplish this as SDS but not SDC.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
I am pretty sure that refers to one ticket, i.e. the two segments that fall into different booking classes, NOT two different tickets.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by cfischer
if you have a fare break you cannot SDC to a non-stop or change the connecting airport. That is annoying but it kind of makes sense. Now, at the airport, I have been able to accomplish this as SDS but not SDC.
Did you do anything here other than just find a helpful agent and describe what you were looking to do?
Old May 1, 2016, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...The wiki implies that it's possible, but I couldn't find the reference...
but only at the airport "A"
Old May 1, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I am pretty sure that refers to one ticket, i.e. the two segments that fall into different booking classes, NOT two different tickets.
Correct. A single ticket can have a what's called an end-on-end combination, or two fares combined together.

For example, these days, with such cheap ANC-SEA fares due to all the competition, fares from ANC to the East Coast will often be priced out as ANC-SEA ($79) plus SEA-DCA ($106) for a total of $185, which is cheaper than the cheapest ANC-DCA fare filed of $209 (fictitious but not wholly unrealistic numbers), so the system prices out ANC-SEA//SEA-DCA as an end-on-end combination all on one ticket.

Under technical rules, with UA's system, you'd only be able to (assuming there were such flights--UA got rid of the ANC-SEA flight a couple of years ago, so this is a fake route) change to a different ANC-SEA flight followed by a different SEA-DCA flight and would not be able to fly, say, ANC-DEN-DCA, because you'd be skipping SEA, which is where the two fares joined up. That said, the system and/or an agent may very well allow you to SDC away from SEA anyway--I haven't had the chance to try myself.

If you have two separate tickets, though, then you will have to pray for an exceptionally accommodating agent who will be willing to completely break company protocol and do some accounting shenanigans (canceling one ticket and refunding it to you in full with no refund fee and reissuing the other ticket to a completely different destination without any add/collect, or perhaps using the value of the second ticket to cover some of the add/collect on the first ticket) to do what you want. Basically: ain't gonna happen.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Same day flight change after first segment?

Hi all,

I have a trip coming up later this week, and I have a confirmed CPU on the first segment of my trip. I had planned on seeing if I could do a same day flight change once it's within 24 hours of my trip, but now that I've been upgraded, I would like to see about doing a same day flight change *after* I complete that segment (so that I don't lose my CPU). Is that possible? Or am I only able to change flights before the first segment? I know that I have been able to click on the "Change Flights" option in the United app after I've already checked in for my flights in the past, but I've never checked to see if that option is still available after I've already started flying (at the layover airport, etc). Anyone know how/if that works?

Thank you!
Matt
Old May 5, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
... I have a trip coming up later this week, and I have a confirmed CPU on the first segment of my trip. I had planned on seeing if I could do a same day flight change once it's within 24 hours of my trip, but now that I've been upgraded, ...
It is reasonable to be cautious with a CPU segment and definitely not a do it yourself-SDC. A good agent should be able to do this but others can mess this up.

... I would like to see about doing a same day flight change *after* I complete that segment (so that I don't lose my CPU). Is that possible? Or am I only able to change flights before the first segment? ..
You can try to SDC at any point in the itin, so there is no restriction doing after the first segment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2016 at 12:58 am Reason: clarified
Old May 5, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is reasonable to cautious with a CPU and definitely not self-SDC. A good agent should be able to do this but others can mess this up.
Sorry, but I'm not sure I follow you. What did you mean by your first sentence? Thanks for the reply, though!
Old May 5, 2016, 12:58 am

Sorry, but I'm not sure I follow you. What did you mean by your first sentence? Thanks for the reply, though!
I reworded the original response -- but you are right being cautious doing SDC with CPU segment. And is definitely something not to do yourself online, and iffy doing with an agent. Sorry for the overly terse response.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
now that I've been upgraded, I would like to see about doing a same day flight change *after* I complete that segment (so that I don't lose my CPU). Is that possible? Or am I only able to change flights before the first segment? I know that I have been able to click on the "Change Flights" option in the United app after I've already checked in for my flights in the past, but I've never checked to see if that option is still available after I've already started flying (at the layover airport, etc). Anyone know how/if that works?
As soon as you've boarded flight #1, get on the mobile app and if there are SDC options available for flight #2, they should be offered there.

The scanning of your BP during boarding is what triggers this to work on the app.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
As soon as you've boarded flight #1, get on the mobile app and if there are SDC options available for flight #2, they should be offered there.

The scanning of your BP during boarding is what triggers this to work on the app.
Ahh, cool! Good to know! Thank you very much! ^
Old May 5, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: 1K
Even Possible?

Current itinerary
AKL->SYD (AZN in Y) tomorrow AM
SYD->SFO (UA in P)

Want
AKL->SFO (AZN in P) tonight

Is this even possible as a SDC as a UA1K?

Thanks
Old May 5, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Hi all,

I have a trip coming up later this week, and I have a confirmed CPU on the first segment of my trip. I had planned on seeing if I could do a same day flight change once it's within 24 hours of my trip, but now that I've been upgraded, I would like to see about doing a same day flight change *after* I complete that segment (so that I don't lose my CPU). Is that possible? Or am I only able to change flights before the first segment? I know that I have been able to click on the "Change Flights" option in the United app after I've already checked in for my flights in the past, but I've never checked to see if that option is still available after I've already started flying (at the layover airport, etc). Anyone know how/if that works?

Thank you!
Matt
I think you should board your first flight since you have cleared the CPU. Don't risk losing your upgrade due to an incompetent agent messing up your record. Then, check your United app any time after the flight closes when you're on board the first flight. You should be able to check for change options after that point.

What I like to do is connect to WiFi on board. Usually, it lets you use united.com and the United app for free without having to buy a WiFi session.

I've done this many times, confirming a change on the next flight while I'm still on the first (sometimes in First Class, hehe). Good luck!

Last edited by Ruhr; May 5, 2016 at 2:44 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by zdog2x
Even Possible?

Current itinerary
AKL->SYD (AZN in Y) tomorrow AM
SYD->SFO (UA in P)

Want
AKL->SFO (AZN in P) tonight

Is this even possible as a SDC as a UA1K?

Thanks
"AZN" ???
First rule of SDC, only on to a UA operated flight. Assuming the flights you area seeking are NZ operated, SDC will not work.

Even if had been UA operated flights, the mixed fare class creates a number of issues.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"AZN" ???
First rule of SDC, only on to a UA operated flight. Assuming the flights you area seeking are NZ operated, SDC will not work.

Even if had been UA operated flights, the mixed fare class creates a number of issues.
Got to AKL and "ANZ" said just about the same thing. Now if I wanted to purchase a one-way AKL-SFO they were happy to oblige! Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.