Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't take the chance.

If UA causes a misconnect, UA rebooks you to your next stopover.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Subj. For tomorrow's 6AM flight. I'd be happy to take it for a later flight but I have SFO-NRT flight coming on ANA and within 3h 45min connection time I am not that sure that I want to take my chances.

BTW, if I'd took that chance and then ended up missing the ANA flight (LAX-SFO, SFO-NRT and NRT-SIN are on the same same ticket) where should I be heading to? Ticket is issued by ANA, but only one leg - SFO-NRT is operated by them, the rest if UA.

Will UA put me on another ANA flight next day? Should I be going to UA with this matter (missing flight) or I should go to ANA because the ticket is issued by them? Will ANA put me on another flight and provide hotel if I missed the flight due to UA?
Since UA is overbooked, they will probably put you on LAX-SIN on SQ if you ask, which, IMO, will be a much nicer experience.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I wouldn't trust the OLCI overbooked prompt

I've had it come up many times and was hardly ever needed. They make the prompt when there might be a need, but they won't do anything until check in closes. Then they look at how many no shows they have, who needs to be in that flight (crew, rev pax, etc) and so on

The few times I've done it, I had to wait until group 1 and 2 boarded, then lost my overhead space.

In short, don't hold your breath
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wouldn't run the risk of complicating your flights significantly for such small change.....
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
From my experiences, those online offers hardly stick. Often, I check in online and are offered $XXX for volunteering my seat. When I arrive at the gate, they would say that my services are not needed. Last year, I think I volunteered around a dozen times from online or at the kiosk and never did I receive the certificates. I often left the United Club early so I can be the first one at the gate. Once at CLD, I was offered $250 but they refused due to my international itinerary. When I did volunteer, I always asked for my final destination and if I checked any baggage.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: united

VDB 2/18/2015 UA116 HKG-GUM 2 PAX, 10:55pm-5:45am, E+, a 5-hour direct flight
Compensated $600 each, rebooked on 15-hour total transit
rebooked Cathay 524, 1:00am-6:05am, back of the plane but together
5-hour layover at Narita
Connected to UA827, 11:10am-3:21pm, E+ exit row together

Initial offer was $100 at check in. Declined.
Offered us $200 at the United lounge. Declined.
At the boarding gate offer was $400, than $600. Accepted $600 each.

After it was all done I wish I'd asked for more because it really was a bother. Forgot that it would be COLD at Narita (Hey, we were headed to a beach vacation so no coats!). Plus HKG lounge closed at 11:30 and Narita lounge wasn't open when we arrived.

We were approached so many times by UA staff with different stories. First it was there was a wedding party that wanted to travel together, last was there were tour groups they needed to keep together. I have never before been directly asked to consider VDB so maybe they really did need us off that flight!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by sna430
Once at CLD, I was offered $250 but they refused due to my international itinerary. When I did volunteer, I always asked for my final destination and if I checked any baggage.
This has been my experience as well. They'll pick the domestic passengers with no checked bags to be bumped--it's the least amount of work for UA to handle.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Well what happened? I know for a fact this was overbooked b/c my gf was offered at the gate for this flight.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Since UA is overbooked, they will probably put you on LAX-SIN on SQ if you ask, which, IMO, will be a much nicer experience.
Can I ask in this case original routing credit?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
$150 is hardly worth the effort for a potential complication involving int'l travel, imo.

Most of the time I punch in Yes when the opportunity comes during OLCI for volunteers. In my experience if you really want to be a volunteer, you need to talk to the GA as soon as he/she arrives to get dibs.

ymmv on original routing credit ... but for such high mileage why take the chance and give yourself a headache trying to talk someone into giving you one ...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by exmike
Well what happened? I know for a fact this was overbooked b/c my gf was offered at the gate for this flight.
Wow. Usually they only offer vouchers.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
LAX-NRT on UA connecting to the original NRT-SIN would be the logical choice.

This seems like an easy VDB, provided LAX-NRT was available and acceptable to you.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Wow. Usually they only offer vouchers.
^^

$150 is the default their software pops up with. It is (sometimes) more at the gate, if they need people at all. I've seen overhead monitors (at the gate) "we are looking for volunteers..." whilst GA a few feet away clearing the standby list. GA will have a better handle of the real likelihood of being short seats than monitors or kiosks sometimes mis-connects haven't been offloaded and such so it appears overbooked. Just one example.

Last edited by DBCme; Feb 24, 2015 at 7:42 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
With the Chinese New Year holiday ending soon, EWR-PVG was oversold by 20. I think I'm the only one that volunteered. I got a $1000 voucher, 3x$7 at EWR, 3x$7 at SFO (they reprinted when I hit my hotel voucher), and a room at the Homewood Suites near SFO.
Jackpot! :-:

So I was Bumped (VDB) off NRT-LAX on 2/22 and rerouted NRT-ORD-LAX.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Assume they make those offers at varying levels (some pax are offered $100, some $150, some $200, etc). If the space is needed, they choose the pax that accepted the lowest amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.