Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Two Diversions for the Price of One

Executive Summary
UA 1481 on 1/7 was diverted not once but twice on its way from EWR to PDX. That evening, we diverted to ORD due to insufficient fuel caused by strong headwinds. The crew timed out and the flight was cancelled. A new segment, UA 2100, was added the next day but was diverted to SMF due to a mechanical problem. We finally arrived in PDX on the evening of 1/8.

TLDR Version
UA 1481 left EWR a little late on 1/7, then flew uneventfully for the first two hours in fairly smooth air and no obvious issues. Shortly thereafter, the pilot said the good news was that we would be arriving in PDX, the bad news was that we would be delayed. He explained that due to strong headwinds, we would be diverting to MSP but later announced that we would be diverting to ORD instead. Once in ORD, we refueled, mechanics checked the plane due to a heavy landing (excess fuel) and we waited for a replacement crew because our crew would time out. A replacement crew could not be found and the flight was canceled.

All 160ish passengers queued at the customer service desk located near the large dinosaur skeleton, which was staffed by three customer service agents. The line did not move at all due to computer issues. We were eventually rebooked on an extra segment added for the following morning at 10 AM. It was the same plane and crew but the agent insisted on rebooking me in Y, despite the fact that I had paid for the upgrade with an RPU. I was also issued a hotel voucher and a $7 meal voucher and made my way to a hotel. The fact that I had no jacket meant that at least I would not spoil as I awaited the hotel shuttle in the -5 degree weather.

The next morning, we departed ORD on time and made our way towards PDX, flying uneventfully for the first three hours. Just after crossing the Idaho border, I noticed the plane make a turn away from PDX and begin flying southwest. I queried the crew about it and was told that there was a mechanical problem but to keep it to myself until the pilot could make an announcement. Later, the pilot explained that we were diverting to SFO because of a problem with the plane that would necessitate a visual approach. Shortly thereafter, he said that we were diverting to Sacramento instead. Once on the ground at SMF, we exited the plane and awaited further instructions. Our crew, like friends and family at this point, bid us adieu.

We were eventually told that a new plane and crew was being ferried from SFO and would be arriving in a few hours. The friendly staff at SMF did an excellent job keeping us all up to date, making frequent announcements plus providing snacks and beverages. Once the new plane arrived, we eventually took off at 4:30 PM and landed in PDX a bit before 6 PM, to the great relief and happiness of the passengers. While exiting the plane, I quipped with the other passengers that UA must have a bad case of divert-iculitis that day.

I've flown with UA over 2.5 million miles thus far and have never been diverted before so I guess I got my money's worth this time around I'm heading out again this coming Tuesday, flying PDX-SFO-IAD-FRA. So if any of you are flying on that day, perhaps you might wish to stay away from my flights -- I am evidently a very diverting passenger.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryU
Executive Summary
UA 1481 on 1/7 was diverted not once but twice on its way from EWR to PDX. That evening, we diverted to ORD due to insufficient fuel caused by strong headwinds. The crew timed out and the flight was cancelled. A new segment, UA 2100, was added the next day but was diverted to SMF due to a mechanical problem. We finally arrived in PDX on the evening of 1/8.
Holy crap LarryU - that's a gnarly story. Did you receive proactive emails from UA Customer Relations regarding compensation?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LarryU
Executive Summary
Wow. The long version is even worse.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Holy crap LarryU - that's a gnarly story. Did you receive proactive emails from UA Customer Relations regarding compensation?
sounds like $500 or more. I'd be furious. How can UA not calculate fuel correctly for EWR-PDX Wind is KNOWN, they can account for this. That's quite a trip, the OP should get miles as flown
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I received proactive emails from customer relations for both diverted flights and all passengers were advised to check united.com/appreciation to request compensation. For the first diversion requiring an overnight, I was offered a choice of 10,000 miles or $200. That just about covers the hotel booked at PDX, which was way to late to cancel by that point. For the second diversion, I was offered 7500 miles or $150. And UA also threw in $14 worth of food vouchers, just about enough to purchase one sandwich at ORD.

Originally Posted by cfischer
sounds like $500 or more. I'd be furious. How can UA not calculate fuel correctly for EWR-PDX Wind is KNOWN, they can account for this. That's quite a trip, the OP should get miles as flown
I'm indeed furious about the experience -- I've never encountered anything like it before, and I ply the PDX/EWR route quite frequently. I'm also unhappy that a reserve crew could not be found at a large hub like ORD, particularly since UA had at least a couple of hours notice between the time the pilot opted to divert and when we finally landed. Also, knowing that we were on our way, initially allocating a staff of three to handle so many passengers was absurd, further exacerbated by a balky computer system that appeared to be quite recalcitrant during the first hour after landing. Nobody at ORD should have been surprised when a plane full of marooned passengers showed up at the terminal. These days, UA just appears to be allergic to the word "preemptive."

Staff attitude at ORD seemed poor as well. On the other hand, the staff at SMF were a breath of fresh air and invited us all back for a longer stay when we had more time.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:58 pm

1/9/15 UA1263 SFO - BOS 10:30p

Delayed three times, finally cancelled due to crew availability. Next rebook available was 15hrs later (and not applicable to my 9am EST meeting). At first was offered no "gesture", further pressing, 2500mi. Keeping it up, 2500mi is pretty low for a United-error.

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
UA 1200 today delayed 8 hours sfo-Iah Red eye that didn't depart until 8:30 am. Ouch
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
On UA 597 today - UA swapped a domestic 757 for an international 767 and local crew here in Vegas can't load plane properly (according to pilot). Flight status in UA app says we departed about 30 min ago - still at gate though - hope I don't miss my connection!

Still sitting here at gate - over an hour late.... What a joke.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 16, 2015 at 6:21 am
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this morning's LAX-SMF UA5635 was grossly delayed, sched 802am, dep 1155am. inbound arrived 8min late to LAX from SMF, so no real reason is clear to me at this point, probably MX or crew. the DL flight arriving at 9:45am diverted to RNO after circling for awhile with heavy fog limiting arrivals.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post DC-Bound United Plane Makes "Roller Coaster" Emergency Landing

A United plane that may have caught fire over California made a quick "roller coaster" descent into Ontario International Airport at about 9 a.m., according to the Federal Aviation Administration and a passenger's account.

United flight 1181 turned back to Southern California from its original flight path to Washington Dulles International Airport from Los Angeles International Airport, according to the FAA.

"The flight landed safely after diverting to Ontario, California, due to reports of a burning smell," according to a statement released by United.
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...lowTwt_LABrand
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:05 am

UA 1211 IAD-LAX is delayed at least 2 hrs this morning. Gate agent call it "Mechanical", United.com says "Aircraft Maintenance". Full flight with 75 on the upgrade list. We are not even on there although we had applied with SWU ( or whatever it's called now ).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
UA 1211 IAD-LAX is delayed at least 2 hrs this morning. Gate agent call it "Mechanical", United.com says "Aircraft Maintenance". Full flight with 75 on the upgrade list. We are not even on there although we had applied with SWU ( or whatever it's called now ).
Update : Eventually flight left at noon and arrived 4 hrs late. No e-mail from United. Delay was mechanical.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Last evening UX 5271 flight ABE-ORD. Inbound plane comes in close to on time. We eventually board about 20 minutes or so late. Sitting on plane for a few minutes (longer then should have been necessary.)

Pilot finally comes on and says that the winds have increased 15 knots since they landed 45 minutes ago, and now the active runway is too short due to the crosswinds (ERJ145.) States that the other runway won't be available for about another 2 hours, and the pilot had been on since 6 AM and he timed out in about a minute and a half.

Re-booked the following day, arriving 24 hours late.

To UA's credit, they didn't mark the cx as "weather", but as "cancelled due to crew availability."

ETA: Was chatting with a guy at the gate who was on that flight the day before. Said they had gotten halfway to ORD and then turned around and went back to ABE because of the weather in ORD. Guess it was easier than a diversion?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat

6:00 a.m. 1198 LGA-ORD this morning started getting delayed immediately and for the first 4 hours of the delay the board and GAs announced it was crew issues with pilots and cabin crews not making it in from the city (however we all got here in time). After the crew arrived there were de-icing issues delaying us further. At that point the board changed to delayed by "Severe weather conditions" while other flights were getting out fine. Now we are officially delayed until 11:45 a.m. because according to the GA "a part in the cockpit needs to be changed". Of course the board still blames "Severe weather conditions." 5:45 delay and counting now.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Medics check 175 aboard United flight after emergency landing

(CNN)Passengers aboard a United Airlines flight from Chicago to Denver got sick from a cabin pressure issue that forced a quick landing, according to an airline spokeswoman.

United Airlines Flight 1218 took off at 9:01 a.m., but shortly after it reached 15,000 feet, the pilot took it below 10,000 feet and returned to O'Hare International Airport, according to tracking website FlightAware.com.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/travel...assengers-ill/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.