FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well a lot of people were saying they were going to AA. Now, AA elites are complaining about not being able to find awards.

What I saw was lack of TATL awards out of SFO back then, unless you had to take really long routings, like approaching 20 hours and more for what should be at most a 15 hour outbound.

And I'd just decided to switch from DL so *A was the only one left standing ...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by adambrau
Still enjoy the flying and visiting new destinations around the globe, but lately I've noticed my body doesn't bounce back as quick as it once did on my 2-3 East Coast to HongKong or Singapore trips a year. I have this feeling that if I do sink 4m BIS miles under my belt and the GS for life is still on offer, I probably won't want to ever board another flight
I completely agree and that's why I'm not pushing to add Lifetime BA Gold. If it happens, it happens. I've got Lifetime in two alliances so far and that is plenty enough. Ditto for UA 2mm. I'm past 1.7mm now, but it could take a long time for me to hit 2mm. Especially when UA cancels my SFO-HKG flight and moves me to NH instead. But then again, NH was rather nice.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I switched to AA from UA. While I would never describe AA as a great airline, they've never treated me as badly as United did, even when they don't have what I want or need.

When I hear folks raving about service a United, I'll reconsider. Until then, I couldn't be happier away from that God-awful excuse for an airline.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Especially when UA cancels my SFO-HKG flight and moves me to NH instead.
I assume you are familiar with Original Route Credit @:-)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by EmailKid
No, sorry. What is that? Can I get those miles added to my Lifetime?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:18 am

If IRROPS causes you to be rerouted onto other flights/carriers, you can request that mileage credit be based on the itinerary you booked rather than the itinerary you flew.

I don't know what the time limit is for requesting credit, but contact UA after the trip and request it.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
If IRROPS causes you to be rerouted onto other flights/carriers, you can request that mileage credit be based on the itinerary you booked rather than the itinerary you flew.
With all the problems UA has had I've had several flights on AA, US and AS that were credited to UA, but I had to call, it's never automatic.

Sometimes I spent more time on hold than actually talking to a person to give them original information about the flight.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Actually most 1MM'ers move to other airlines once they've made their lifetime goal. I was even told this by a UA executive. I too moved on after 1MM, but also had the excuse of moving to Europe to then get lifetime status with AF/KL and maybe BA in a few years.

Still I've got 50K EQM's with UA this year.
I'm currently at 906k BIS so I've started to give this some thought! For international routes (particularly ones that require connections), I expect I would be more likely to defect to SQ or LH depending on the route, as the product and operational performance is generally better.

For domestic flights, probably no change in my flying habits assuming fares are competitive as the soft perks and E+ will trump my experience elsewhere. As nice as VX is, I'd take an E+ seat on UA any day, plus more frequent flights. Used to prefer WN for short-haul but fares have just been too high.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I completely agree and that's why I'm not pushing to add Lifetime BA Gold. If it happens, it happens. I've got Lifetime in two alliances so far and that is plenty enough. Ditto for UA 2mm. I'm past 1.7mm now, but it could take a long time for me to hit 2mm. Especially when UA cancels my SFO-HKG flight and moves me to NH instead. But then again, NH was rather nice.
One of the fallouts from the merger was to bring forward the fact the airlines can (and will) change the rules in the blink of an eye. Always in the back of my mind, but the odd preoccupation with singling out MM for devaluation immediately after the merger began brought it home.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:08 pm

I think poster Stympie was talking about reaching 2MM and a rebooking to NH got in the way. Are you saying that a NH flight counts towards million miler status ( BIS ) when rebooked during IRROPS?

Last edited by Exleftseat; Aug 22, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I think poster Stympie was talking about reaching 2MM and a rebooking to NH got in the way. Are you saying that a NH flight counts towards million miler status when rebooked during IRROPS?
I've had a few of those over the past year that I called in and asked and received ORC (PQM/PQD/MM) due to irrops that rebooked me OAL.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I think poster Stympie was talking about reaching 2MM and a rebooking to NH got in the way. Are you saying that a NH flight counts towards million miler status when rebooked during IRROPS?
No, he's saying that in case of IRROPS you can contact UA and get the miles that would have been earned if not for the IRROPS rebooking -- UA miles, which would count.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
No, he's saying that in case of IRROPS you can contact UA and get the miles that would have been earned if not for the IRROPS rebooking -- UA miles, which would count.
Exactly.

It's not automatic, you have to drop a dime and call UA.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've had a few of those over the past year that I called in and asked and received ORC (PQM/PQD/MM) due to irrops that rebooked me OAL.
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Exactly.

It's not automatic, you have to drop a dime and call UA.
Thanks all, that's really good to know. I could run into a couple of situations like this within the next six months, so quite handy to know I may not automatically lose BIS miles needed for MM status when rebooked.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is a complete wiki covering the ORC process in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html.

The short summary -- if rerouted due to UA irrops you can manually request MP mileage credit (PQD, PQM, PQS, RDM & Lifetime) as if you had flown your scheduled, booked itinary. This includes re-routing on non-*A carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.