Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Old May 19, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK ALERT

Please remember that this is a discussion about how many are leaving UA

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 19, 2015, 2:58 pm

Since my gradual UA wind down, I started a hash tag #NotFlyingUA

Lately I've been flying quality international carriers with a mix of Jet Blue and Virgin America. In the past I would go out of my way to fly UA or JV partners, not any more.

Much happier for it. UA is a cheap trick.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Lately I've been flying quality international carriers with a mix of Jet Blue and Virgin America.
Neither of those service IAH. I know Virgin goes to HOU, but I am not driving all the way down to HOU for them. Sorry. Most of us in IAH are stuck with UA; the place is a real fortress.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
Neither of those service IAH. I know Virgin goes to HOU, but I am not driving all the way down to HOU for them. Sorry. Most of us in IAH are stuck with UA; the place is a real fortress.
Virgin flies to neither. Jetblue does to HOU, but only to the Northeast (JFK and BOS).
Old May 24, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
How many GS are leaving UA ?

I am one of them.

Like many here in the forum I was focused on reaching the next milestone (2 MM) before moving on. I am on transpacific and transatlantic flights about 8-10x/year.

It would take me another ~2 years to get to 2MM but why would I want to do that? The two things I really cared for are the lifetime *G status I got with 1MM which gives me access to the NH, LH senator and Gold Kris lounges and a way to spend miles on LH, CA and TG.

During some of the last few UA transpacific flights I ended up downgrading myself from business to economy mid flight because the situation in business class was unbearable (broken seats, dead screens, noise from the E+ bulkhead row, incompetent service etc.) and I wished I had booked an E+ seat instead from the get-go so I would not end up in a middle seat.

I realized during a 14h PEK-IAH on CA in economy that I arrived in much better shape than I could have in UA business. It was like an epiphany: even if I magically got to 4MM and lifetime GS I would not even consider making use of the GPUs for award tickets. I would prefer other *A carriers Y over UA C. Why chase 2MM then ??

Long story short I only fly international airlines out of IAH now and that is ~100k/yr. I did not switch to AA because I don't want to connect from IAH through DFW. Thus, most of my domestic business is still with UA but I have started making trips to AUS (VX/B6 to JFK/SFO) which just takes me 90 min longer than driving to IAH. It is a bit of a stretch but it helps that one of my favorite BBQs is on the way and the AUS airport Hilton offers unlimited free parking :-)

I can't wait for VX starting service to HNL and OGG later this year. The 2 UA 777s going non-stop IAH-HNL are the most pitiful I have ever seen. With all power outlets ripped out of business class those flights become very quiet after everybody's device has run out of juice. And again, I think I would rather pay for VX Y and make a connection through SFO than using a UA RPU on an award IAH-HNL. When I go to Hawaii I really want to arrive in holiday spirit!
Old May 24, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
During some of the last few UA transpacific flights I ended up downgrading myself from business to economy mid flight because the situation in business class was unbearable (broken seats, dead screens, noise from the E+ bulkhead row, incompetent service etc.) and I wished I had booked an E+ seat instead from the get-go so I would not end up in a middle seat.
That's a new one. United Economy plus middle seat is now better than BusinessFirst on some flights

Broken BF seat - still IMHO better than E+ seat
Dead screens - can occur independent of cabin
Noise from bulkhead - very predictable and if bothersome can get headphones or choose seat in front of cabin. Besides E+ is close to bulkhead too so faces same noise
Incompetent service - occurs in Y too, if not more frequently, unless one adjusts expectations in Y

Well next time anyone wants to downgrade mid-flight, come find me in 21C and I will happily take your BF seat in any condition.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I realized during a 14h PEK-IAH on CA in economy that I arrived in much better shape than I could have in UA business.
You know you have truly fallen when ....
And thats from a GS.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I gave up on UA late last year and have flying One World quite happily ever since.

On the basis that I could use RPUs, I chose United for a recent weekend in PVR. I was open to the idea that things had gotten better, and in some ways they had.

United was better than I'd remembered, mostly because the crew were nice to us rather than surly. But the plane was still dark, the food service grim (on a 3.5 hour flight) and there were no blankets or pillows in first class.

If VX had flown the on the days we traveled, I would have happily shelled out the money to fly in F rather than take UA paying discount Y and flying F.

Even if all crews were as nice as the two we had, I still have no regrets for abandoning United.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I gave up on UA late last year and have flying One World quite happily ever since.

On the basis that I could use RPUs, I chose United for a recent weekend in PVR. I was open to the idea that things had gotten better, and in some ways they had.

United was better than I'd remembered, mostly because the crew were nice to us rather than surly. But the plane was still dark, the food service grim (on a 3.5 hour flight) and there were no blankets or pillows in first class.

If VX had flown the on the days we traveled, I would have happily shelled out the money to fly in F rather than take UA paying discount Y and flying F.

Even if all crews were as nice as the two we had, I still have no regrets for abandoning United.
What are your primary destinations?

How has the connecting life been vs. UA directs?

What time did your UA flight depart? I have been very happy with United's new premium cabin domestic meals - but they did change the meal time (vs snack time) windows.

Blankets and pillows? It's still UA, c'mon!

Last edited by LarkSFO; May 24, 2015 at 11:08 am
Old May 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by embarcadero1

Is it also true that the other airlines you've been flying have not defrauded you with the bait and switch technique of selling you a seat in F and then putting you into Y and claiming you never bought F?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:07 am

I am one of them.

Like many here in the forum I was focused on reaching the next milestone (2 MM) before moving on. I am on transpacific and transatlantic flights about 8-10x/year.

It would take me another ~2 years to get to 2MM but why would I want to do that? The two things I really cared for are the lifetime *G status I got with 1MM which gives me access to the NH, LH senator and Gold Kris lounges and a way to spend miles on LH, CA and TG.

I realized during a 14h PEK-IAH on CA in economy that I arrived in much better shape than I could have in UA business. It was like an epiphany: even if I magically got to 4MM and lifetime GS I would not even consider making use of the GPUs for award tickets. I would prefer other *A carriers Y over UA C. Why chase 2MM then ??

Long story short I only fly international airlines out of IAH now and that is ~100k/yr. I did not switch to AA because I don't want to connect from IAH through DFW. Thus, most of my domestic business is still with UA but I have started making trips to AUS (VX/B6 to JFK/SFO) which just takes me 90 min longer than driving to IAH. It is a bit of a stretch but it helps that one of my favorite BBQs is on the way and the AUS airport Hilton offers unlimited free parking :-)

I can't wait for VX starting service to HNL and OGG later this year. The 2 UA 777s going non-stop IAH-HNL are the most pitiful I have ever seen. With all power outlets ripped out of business class those flights become very quiet after everybody's device has run out of juice. And again, I think I would rather pay for VX Y and make a connection through SFO than using a UA RPU on an award IAH-HNL. When I go to Hawaii I really want to arrive in holiday spirit!
Welcome to Flyertalk. And what a unique outlook. (Economy over Int'l C? Looking for ways to add time and connections to your travel schedule?)

I am sure many here look forward to hearing more from you with your brand new perspective.

I just read on the 'The Thought Leader in Travel' (still cracks me up ) that AA is going to start flying A321's to Hawaii before VX initiates service.

So, if you want to fly the newly ETOPS certified Airbus aircraft over the Pacific, you will also be able to fly through LAX on AA.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Welcome to Flyertalk. And what a unique outlook. (Economy over Int'l C? Looking for ways to add time and connections to your travel schedule?)
A colleague and I were just in NZ together. He used to be 1K, but slipped to Gold this year. We were discussing our trips home - he had business in Sydney, so he didn't fly back with me - and he indicated he didn't think he was going to shell out the miles/co-pay for an upgrade on the SYD-SFO leg, because he was pretty confident he was going to have a row of 3 Economy seats all to himself.

Having done a TPAC that way (Economy lie flat) years ago I could understand his rationale.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by halls120
A colleague and I were just in NZ together. He used to be 1K, but slipped to Gold this year. We were discussing our trips home - he had business in Sydney, so he didn't fly back with me - and he indicated he didn't think he was going to shell out the miles/co-pay for an upgrade on the SYD-SFO leg, because he was pretty confident he was going to have a row of 3 Economy seats all to himself.

Having done a TPAC that way (Economy lie flat) years ago I could understand his rationale.
Well, that is different than subjecting yourself to a middle seat in Y vs. a broken seat in C...

But, your friend does have a point I could probably agree with: If I knew (or was almost certain) that I would have 3 or 4 seats to myself in Y, I too would strongly consider this option vs. Miles +$$.

PS Glad you resurrected that term: Economy Lie Flat!
Old May 24, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au

If UA went back to the old system, I would be spending the time and money to re-qualify on M+ by flying on UA. But since UA gutted M+, there is no more incentive for me to fly UA.

As a full fare economy flyer, my earnings as a 1K in the new system about 1/3 of what they were prior to the FFP being gutting.

I earn a better ROI if I credit my UA flights to TK/NH/TG/SQ/A3/etc FFP than M+. I do not understand the logic in that, but it kills any incentive in flying UA and crediting miles on UA flights to M+ going forward.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
If UA went back to the old system, I would be spending the time and money to re-qualify by flying on UA. But since UA gutted M+, there is no more incentive for me to fly UA.

As a full fare economy flyer, my earnings as a 1K in the new system about 1/3 of what they were prior to the FFP being gutting.

I earn a better ROI if I credit my UA flights to NH/TG/SQ/A3/etc FFP than M+. I do not understand the logic in that, but it kills any incentive in flying UA and crediting miles on UA flights to M+ going forward.
What routes are you flying where you don't win under the new system? Unless you're flying government fares, full-Y fliers are big winners on the new system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.