Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mad_rich
I was on UA 878 EWR-AMS on 15 June. We pushed back a little late, but then hung around for a while while they investigated a tech issue. Back to the gate. On and off the plane a couple of times. Eventually cancelled around 11pm, 5 hours after scheduled departure.

We were given a hotel (got there at 1am!) and re-booked on an additionally scheduled flight departing around 24 hours late.

The other passengers I spoke to had received an email offering between 5,000 - 15,000 miles (depending on status?) but I never received the email. I have a Mileage Plus account, but I don't really collect miles with UA (I'm based in the UK) so I would prefer a voucher.

I've sent a message through the contact us section on the website. Any idea what I should expect?

Slight complication - I was only on the AMS flight because I accepted a bump off the EWR-NCL flight the same night for $800 (it was overbooked due to a cancellation the previous day). But the AMS flight was on time when I accepted the bump!
Well, I've just had a reply from United.

The email sent me to united.com/appreciation, where I was offered $100 certificate or 5,000 miles. Doesn't seem like much for a 24 hour delay?

I haven't selected an option yet. Will they up this if I ask for more? And what is the best way of doing this?

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA1641 OGG-LAX red eye cancelled (mechanical) 6/21. Had CPUs on this and onward flight to LAS. Rebooked the two flights next day in P (forced by agent). This 1k got choice of $500 ETC or 25K RDMs offered by Proactive Operations Recovery Team. Ended up being a 15 hour delay in reaching the city of imaginary milk and honey.

Went home and slept in the meantime. OGG-DEN also cancelled that night. Bad night for UA at OGG...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold/Platinum Marriott Gold Elite, HHonors Blue, SA Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Seatguru does list 4A as not having a window on the 787-9.

With all due respect, this is on you.

Many planes have misaligned 'window' seats without windows. If this is going to bother you, you should have called the airline and asked. They cannot guess as to what will bother you. I am sure some flyers cannot stand to be anywhere near the toilet. Others the galley. They might have 'weak' stomachs.

Add to that, you did not ask anyone to switch. Again, if it was my issue, I would have asked every person on a window to switch with me.

We are seeing a trend here of flyers expecting the airlines to accommodate all of their 'needs' (see the story of the coach passenger demanding a meal for their 15 year autistic child because she refuses to eat cold food) that an airline cannot reasonably expect to accomodate.

So I am not trying to rain on your parade here, but FWIW, I think you need to take some or most of the responsibility.
I simply cant be arsed to argue with someone who simply does not understand that sometimes people have different needs to others.

Regards to seatguru it did not have that info at the time, i actually emailed it in to them and its been updated since.

As for asking other pax - why should they swap to look at a wall for 15 hours? passengers around were aware, could see i was distressed, noone volunteered ( i would have kissed them if they did ) FA wasnt interested either.

On the rare occasion this has happened on other flights ( in the reverse, seatguru said it didnt have a window when it did ) FA/GA checked the aircraft before boarding, found me at the gate and reassured me, all was ok, if not they were going to do an announcement asking for a switch.

That was another airline though.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K - million miler
Originally Posted by noah
You will need to request ORC (Original Routing Credit) which will give you the PQM, PQD and Miles you would have originally earned.

You can also credit your DL flights to DL/KL/AF/AS if you earn any of those and likely earn a bonus for being booked into full Y. Furthermore if you have DL miles you can try to UG that full Y ticket.

You might get a few thousand miles or small certificate for the "inconvenience" of not getting your upgrades etc but thats about it so keep your expectations low. Ultimately you still arrived at your destination so the contract was fulfilled.
Quick update: I got an ORC and 20,0000 miles. Good?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by msadmn
...On the rare occasion this has happened on other flights ( in the reverse, seatguru said it didnt have a window when it did ) FA/GA checked the aircraft before boarding, found me at the gate and reassured me, all was ok, if not they were going to do an announcement asking for a switch.

Is it important to you or not?

If it is important, ask. If it is not that important, ask a FA to help you. If they are too busy, accept it and accept your seat.

At any point, you could have called the airline to ask... you could have asked the gate agent... but you chose to wait until literally the last minute.

I am not unsympathetic to your request. But, I am unsympathetic when you say YOU don't bother to ask others to help you with your request.

The good news - You are cured! You made it through your flight without meds in a 'non-window' window seat.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

My flight was cancelled after a 6 hour delay. We had to overnight at EWR. I filled out a form and United would only compensate me 3K miles. That is such an insult. No hotel comp, nothing, just 3K miles.
How should I negotiate again. What is the customer care phone number that I can call?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lavedder
My flight was cancelled after a 6 hour delay. We had to overnight at EWR. I filled out a form and United would only compensate me 3K miles. That is such an insult. No hotel comp, nothing, just 3K miles.
How should I negotiate again. What is the customer care phone number that I can call?
Can you provide more information? UA cancels flights for many reasons: weather, crew, maintenance, etc. The more FTers know about what happened, the better the feedback you'll get.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
This is going to sound very strange/ weird to you all as its probably not a usual thing to complain about

UA G, soon to be Plat...

LHR->IAD in BF, using instrument, no problems
recieve call in Washington that my grandfather is very ill, i must fly to Australia straight away. ) (orig flight to Oz booked 2 weeks ahead )
Called United, took around 6 hours, got charged 100 to change the flight.
Booked on the next AD->LAX to connect to dreamliner LAX->MEL and I- all in F/BF instrument upgrade.
IAD-LAX very old plane, no IFE or wifi, its okay, i had a book...
Arrive LAX and receive the call that i was too late, my grandfather had passed.
Obviously in a bit of a state. Advise Lead FA of my circumstances, very unsympathetic, hardly acknowledged me.
Went to to take my seat - to my horror seat 4A on Dreamliner has NO windows - i am a claustrophobic flyer, hence upgrading when i can and ALWAYS requiring a window
Asked to be moved, explained issue plus fragile emotional state due to death in family, told to shut up and take my assigned seat (!!!!)
Had 15 hour long panic attack, didnt sleep.
UA seat map does not indicate 4A is NOT a window seat.

What do you think? would this be worth complaining ???
Sorry for your grandfather's passing. An aisle seat is much less claustrophobic to begin with.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Can you provide more information? UA cancels flights for many reasons: weather, crew, maintenance, etc. The more FTers know about what happened, the better the feedback you'll get.
Flight was from JFK to SFO, sorry not EWR-SFO. Scheduled departure time was 5:30PM. I received alert that it was delayed and leaving at 7:30PM. After arriving at airport, saw that the further delay and new departure time at 9PM. Finally flight arrived from LA at 10:30PM. People lined up to board. Announcement was made that they have to perform a test and we have to wait another 45 minutes. Half hour into that, a cancellation announcement was made at 11:30PM.At the desk,the agent said all UA affiliated airport hotels are fully booked and they can't help us. I received an alert on my phone that I had been booked for a JFK-LAX flight at 6:30AM the next day. Connection to SFO was at noon.

Called my kid and she found an airport hotel online and I lined up for a shuttle and stayed there overnight. Kid also was able to reserve a connection LAX-SFO flight earlier at 10AM instead of noon. Agent at airport had told me no earlier flights were available besides the noon flight.

Submitted complaint online. Cancelled flight was due to mechanical failure since they announced they had to do test. LAX flight left at 1 PM PDT, so United knew all along flight wasn't coming in till 10PM or later before I left for the airport but didn't bother to tell anyone.

United responded no hotel comp. Only 3.K miles compensation to account.
I tried to call but no one would give me anything on the phone. Said I have to email the person who responded through email.

I am going to complain. Suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Anyone?

I was on UA 878 EWR-AMS on 15 June. We pushed back a little late, but then hung around for a while while they investigated a tech issue. Back to the gate. On and off the plane a couple of times. Eventually cancelled around 11pm, 5 hours after scheduled departure.

We were given a hotel (got there at 1am!) and re-booked on an additionally scheduled flight departing around 24 hours late.

The other passengers I spoke to had received an email offering between 5,000 - 15,000 miles (depending on status?) but I never received the email. I have a Mileage Plus account, but I don't really collect miles with UA (I'm based in the UK) so I would prefer a voucher.

I've sent a message through the contact us section on the website. Any idea what I should expect?

Slight complication - I was only on the AMS flight because I accepted a bump off the EWR-NCL flight the same night for $800 (it was overbooked due to a cancellation the previous day). But the AMS flight was on time when I accepted the bump!
Well, I've just had a reply from United.

The email sent me to united.com/appreciation, where I was offered $100 certificate or 5,000 miles. Doesn't seem like much for a 24 hour delay?

I haven't selected an option yet. Will they up this if I ask for more? And what is the best way of doing this?

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I simply cant be arsed to argue with someone who simply does not understand that sometimes people have different needs to others.

Regards to seatguru it did not have that info at the time, i actually emailed it in to them and its been updated since.

As for asking other pax - why should they swap to look at a wall for 15 hours? passengers around were aware, could see i was distressed, noone volunteered ( i would have kissed them if they did ) FA wasnt interested either.

On the rare occasion this has happened on other flights ( in the reverse, seatguru said it didnt have a window when it did ) FA/GA checked the aircraft before boarding, found me at the gate and reassured me, all was ok, if not they were going to do an announcement asking for a switch.

Some passengers do not care about the window, especially on a long flight where they will sleep for the majority of the flight. How do you know passengers were aware of the situation? They could be looking at your general direction and only observing that you seem distressed and may not have listened to your conversation.

Regardless, do you think people are more likely to volunteer themselves to help out or help out after directly being asked? The airline could have done more to meet your needs, but you should have been a bit more proactive.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What are your thoughts on my UAX flight from SLC-ORD earlier this month that was scheduled for a breakfast meal that was never served because "they forgot to cater the plane"? Had beverages, nothing else. Not a huge deal but I'm not excited about the fact that UA just reneged on the scheduled service and there was no acknowledgement, apology or compensation (aside from the FA's personal 'sorry, no food').
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No offense, but writing the airline complaining that you're claustrophobic in a J/F seat that isn't exactly to your liking is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone who flies those long TPAC routes in *any* seat in Y.

I'm sorry for your loss, and grateful for your sake that United was able to provide instrument upgrades all the way to Australia. I'm sure many people have had to buy a $2000 R/T walk-up fare to fly across the Pacific to attend a loved one's funeral...and got seat 41E because nothing else was left.

Don't write a complaint letter. I'm worried it'll piss off the Complaint Letter Reader, and my email asking for a $70 rental car reimbursement will be the next one in her queue.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Anyone?
They probably know you scored the $800 bumb voucher, although that shouldn't matter.

The pathetic offer is apparently typical for someone that has no elite status with UA (sorry if that assumption is incorrect).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Unhappy Fuggetaboutit

Originally Posted by eflyte
What are your thoughts on my UAX flight from SLC-ORD earlier this month that was scheduled for a breakfast meal that was never served because "they forgot to cater the plane"? Had beverages, nothing else. Not a huge deal but I'm not excited about the fact that UA just reneged on the scheduled service and there was no acknowledgement, apology or compensation (aside from the FA's personal 'sorry, no food').
IMHO, any comp from UA for this screw-up will likely not be worth the time/effort of sending the complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.